PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

Came out as guards, right?

Or are you saying that they just made up those positions they played in college?
They played tackle right away. Slater was known as a tackle, for instance. Ford, plugged in as tackle right away.

Slater and Ford played tackle n college. In fact, here's Slater's own pre-draft profile. A tackle: Rashawn Slater Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Slater played tackle at Northwestern, started as a RT then moved over to the left side.

Because of his size, he's like Isaiah Wynn, some draft prognosticators thought he'd be a guard, I guess. But he played tackle, was listed as a tackle, plays tackle now.

They played tackle right away. Slater was known as a tackle, for instance. Ford, plugged in as tackle right away.

Slater and Ford played tackle n college. In fact, here's Slater's own pre-draft profile. A tackle: Rashawn Slater Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Slater played tackle at Northwestern, started as a RT then moved over to the left side.

Because of his size, he's like Isaiah Wynn, some draft prognosticators thought he'd be a guard, I guess. But he played tackle, was listed as a tackle, plays tackle now.
Why did all these players come out as guards? And do you mean that all of those named play guard, or that Slater, Ford, and Wynn play tackle now? Finally, you know that Cole Strange is now a guard how?

Why did all these players come out as guards? And do you mean that all of those named play guard, or that Slater, Ford, and Wynn play tackle now? Finally, you know that Cole Strange is now a guard how?

I said they played tackle in college, played tackle in the pros. They should never have been listed as guards.

I never said top tackles shouldn't be picked in the first round.

you named 3 who should not have been listed as guards, and for now, let's just take your word for it. I listed guards picked high from 2018-2021. Is your contention that those 3 are really tackles, or that every guard picked high from that group was really a tackle?

It's well-known that left tackles have a rep for being hugely important, but to me the guard/tackle (general) distinction is not as obvious, certainly not from first principles.

So that said, do you believe/assert that from 2018-2021, none of those high-picked "guards" were really guards, and they were all tackles?

Also--is Peter King really so lazy that he watched one clip of Strange versus Travis Jones and drew a judgement?
That Strange v Jones practice rep was run over and over again by lots of media. Methinks it was a typical media pile on to surf and promote the emergent meme that BB effed up with the Strange pick.

you named 3 who should not have been listed as guards, and for now, let's just take your word for it. I listed guards picked high from 2018-2021. Is your contention that those 3 are really tackles, or that every guard picked high from that group was really a tackle?

It's well-known that left tackles have a rep for being hugely important, but to me the guard/tackle (general) distinction is not as obvious, certainly not from first principles.

So that said, do you believe/assert that from 2018-2021, none of those high-picked "guards" were really guards, and they were all tackles?
There were a lot more tackles in that list, but this is boring, whatever. They were all guards.

Because, spoiler, here's Alijah Vera-Tucker evidently playing out of position as a guard... picked last draft as a guard.

and so on

There were a lot more tackles in that list, but this is boring, whatever. They were all guards.
Say things that are true. Don't say things that are false. People do pick guards in the early rounds.

Also--is Peter King really so lazy that he watched one clip of Strange versus Travis Jones and drew a judgement?

There's a lot of video of Senior Bowl 1 on 1s.

Based on one of Strange's interviews, he is going to have a very long learning curve coming from Chattanooga. Apparently, there were no calls made on the line. The call in the huddle was the assignment. You did not deviate. You did the same thing every time.

Good news is that he said he was picking up what they were doing at the Senior Bowl quickly, but he said it was the first time he had ever done any of that.
The answer is yes, he is that lazy

Yup, I agree with everything you wrote.

One thing that needs to be remembered is that the draft isn’t traditional market value, it’s auction value. If 30 teams think someone has 3rd round value and 2 think he has 1st round value, if you‘re one of those 2 teams then there’s a decent chance you’ll miss out on the guy if you pass. I think anyone who’s played fantasy baseball or football has seen this in action and had it bite them at some point.

In the Patriots case, Houston and Vegas both have recent Patriot Personnel directors in charge. Jon Robinson of the Titans was with the Patriots through 2013 and has taken a lot of guys in the past who were linked to the Pats like Rashaan Evans. And Jason Licht of the Bucs was with the Pats even further back. That’s 4 front offices with Patriots connections. The story that came out said the Titans and Bucs both had 1st round grades on Strange; not a surprise that it’s two people who were exposed to Belichick. I’m guessing those 4 teams are who Belichick thinks about when deciding if someone will be available later or not.

Regardless, the most important aspect is being 100% that your projection is right. If you don’t get the players right, you won’t have a job for long regardless of where you take

The next guard selected was by Tampa. Cole won have been gone at 33

The answer is yes, he is that lazy
And chubby, and bitter the BB cut off all access 15 years ago, and totally irrelevant in 2022. Have another overpriced coffee, putz.

“On Cole Strange, I’ve learned, per source, there was a team in the 40s that had their eyes on Strange,” Giardi tweeted. “Would they have traded up had he began Day 2 still on the board? That part is unclear. Strange definitely was getting picked in round 2 regardless.”

This cannot be true, because I was assured by several posters here, who don’t have any bias against Belichick whatsoever (scouts honor), that the Pats would definitely have been able to draft Strange at 54, maybe even with their third round pick.

Most of these miserable pukes will suddenly disappear, as more evidence piles in that Strange was going to be drafted in the top half of the second round, if the Patriots didn’t take him at 29.

Last edited:
"...let's leave Cole Strange alone." "He allowed one sack in his entire college career," Adams said.

Yes, I stated guards have never been picked in the 1st round. You're right. I said that.
Thats all I wanted

You’re a bigger man than most here present company included :)

That Strange v Jones practice rep was run over and over again by lots of media. Methinks it was a typical media pile on to surf and promote the emergent meme that BB effed up with the Strange pick.
Are you talking about this one?

Travis Jones dominated a LOT of OL at the Senior Bowl. Strange wasn't the only one. But regardless of if you consider that 'piling on' doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Travis Jones is a wasted opportunity by the Pats who had a need to improve their 11th worst ranked run defense, but instead reached for Strange in the 1st. If they 'read' the value properly they could have easily landed both Strange and Jones with their pick currency.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back