PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

The only people who thought McVay was criticizing the Pats are the ones who look at everything in a negative light to begin with. Ones who ignored key points of what McVay said. like the words MAYBE and HOPING.

Also most people should know how much respect mcvay has for bb. The media clearly twisted that clip in a direction too as always. Knew it was only a matter of time before he spoke up.

Also most people should know how much respect mcvay has for bb. The media clearly twisted that clip in a direction too as always. Knew it was only a matter of time before he spoke up.
I think that he spoke up as soon as he possibly could after the media started twisting things. With more and more information coming out about where teams had Strange rated vs the "draftnicks" it's becoming clear that this is a case of the draftnicks believing too much of their own hype about themselves.

When you look at the top of the first round, it's telling that it's made up exclusively of pass rushers, CBs, WRs and LTs.

I am not sure what "top of the first round" means but there were two guards taken in the top 17. So two guards taken in the top half of the 1st round, and one taken in the 2nd half of the 1st round. So your point is a bit off IMO.

Strange's arm length is exactly the same as Matt Light's.

I refer you to Dante Scarneccia's comments regarding Arm Length.

So he’s saying size doesn’t matter, it’s what you do with it that counts?

I, er, may have said that once or twice as well…..

I am not sure what "top of the first round" means but there were two guards taken in the top 17. So two guards taken in the top half of the 1st round, and one taken in the 2nd half of the 1st round. So your point is a bit off IMO.
I wish I could find that stat someone pulled up on guards getting picked the last several years. Youd be astonished.

I wish I could find that stat someone pulled up on guards getting picked the last several years. Youd be astonished.

The "stats" thing does not work. If you follow the "stats" there should have been 3 or 4 QBs picked in the top half of the first round, and the first QB was 20th and the second one was the 3rd round I think.

The "stats" thing does not work. If you follow the "stats" there should have been 3 or 4 QBs picked in the top half of the first round, and the first QB was 20th and the second one was the 3rd round I think.
???

I really don't know what you mean here.

I'm referring to the stats that show guards almost never go in the first round. Not because there aren't any top guards available. But because there are premiums placed on certain positions on the field.

Guys like Yanda, Thuney, Teller, these are All Pros, and they graded out as excellent, but they were not premium picks. Quentin Nelson and the guys that went this year are outliers.

???

I really don't know what you mean here.

I'm referring to the stats that show guards almost never go in the first round. Not because there aren't any top guards available. But because there are premiums placed on certain positions on the field.

Guys like Yanda, Thuney, Teller, these are All Pros, and they graded out as excellent, but they were not premium picks. Quentin Nelson and the guys that went this year are outliers.

Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. You said "stats" and then I thought you were saying the guards are usually drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. That is using a 10 or 20 year projection, n=10 or n=20, to predict what would happen in 2022, n=1. That does not work statistically, but maybe you did not mean that. You can say it is highly unlikely that three guards will be taken in the first round, which is true, but it happened anyway. You can say it is EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely that three guards and only one QB will be drafted in the first round because that never happened before (which is true I think), but it happened. Stats predict trends, not specific individual happenings. You can say that over the last 20 years premium positions dictate that guards are not selected in the first round, but that is meaningless when applied to a single instance. n=10 or n=20 can not predict a n=1, that is stats. Maybe you did not mean "stats".

IS Strange JUST a guard though? I posted that his build (height/weight) is almost identical to Matt Light. I posited that the Patriots could be looking at Strange as the future LT while playing at LG this year. Strange is actually stronger and more athletic than Light. I know that doesn't mean he'll be better, I'm just positing that the Patriots may not view him as JUST a guard..

It is weird that everyone (media) want to talk about his versatility to play Center but not Tackle. I know he played Center at the Senior Bowl but his body is more Tackle.

I assume he'll stay at Guard due to his smarts (things move faster inside) but Guard as a rookie, moving outside to Tackle next year seems possible.

I view this as defending his good friend and fellow coach Bill Belichick in response to the viral video of the Rams coach and GM. This is not to say the 49ers would have taken Cole Strange in the first round.

John Lynch played for the Patriots and Belichick at the end of his career.

Further, it’s the concept of marginal utility that’s been around in economic circles, esp. the Austrian School of Economics, for over a century.

People value something subjectively. Not what the “objective” value for it is.

In Karl Marx’s own lifetime, one of his central pillars of Marxism the labor theory of value was debunked on similar grounds.

But if the realization of perceived value of others means something, too.

No one knows if Cole Strange with his stellar athleticism and dominant play in the FCS would have been available at 54. The chances, however, are very strong that he would have been.

Meanwhile, will the Bills even bother having a punter with the team when they play the Patriots?

CF9301B2-9395-4B4D-9362-D8C8ED614C95.jpeg

The media are just useful idiots. They are useful as most of us don't have the time to watch cut ups of all these prospects. But they don't know what will, or should, happen.

Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. You said "stats" and then I thought you were saying the guards are usually drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. That is using a 10 or 20 year projection, n=10 or n=20, to predict what would happen in 2022, n=1. That does not work statistically, but maybe you did not mean that. You can say it is highly unlikely that three guards will be taken in the first round, which is true, but it happened anyway. You can say it is EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely that three guards and only one QB will be drafted in the first round because that never happened before (which is true I think), but it happened. Stats predict trends, not specific individual happenings. You can say that over the last 20 years premium positions dictate that guards are not selected in the first round, but that is meaningless when applied to a single instance. n=10 or n=20 can not predict a n=1, that is stats. Maybe you did not mean "stats".
I really don't know why this is so complicated. My point was simple. It's not a position that teams put a premium on. No matter if some of these guys are ticketed for Canton, they don't want to expend real resources on them. It may be the least valued position on the entire field outside of FB. It's right there with Center, TE, S and DT, but perhaps less valued than those. With TE and DT you see a few more go high. Center is perhaps even less valued.

I really don't know why this is so complicated. My point was simple. It's not a position that teams put a premium on. No matter if some of these guys are ticketed for Canton, they don't want to expend real resources on them. It may be the least valued position on the entire field outside of FB. It's right there with Center, TE, S and DT, but perhaps less valued than those. With TE and DT you see a few more go high. Center is perhaps even less valued.

Agreed for the past, but not this year. Not sure why that is so complicated to understand. This year the guard position was more valuable than QB. I don't care about past trends when evaluating the 2022 draft because trends are irrelevant. Pretty simple to understand.

This might be my favorite BB hate post ever. BB is responsible for the picks you don't like but Groh and Wolf the ones you like.
Belichick isn't above criticism. It's just that he makes so few mistakes that we look foolish when we criticize him.

Are you saying that it's about money to the BBC? Shocking.

It looks like they smartened up when it comes to RBs and wait until the later rounds to grab them. They're a dime a dozen and don't need to be high cost picks. Without the blocking they all blow anyway. ;)

There’s an exception to the old premium position argument. Some players are just so good at their non-premium positions that they make it easier for the players at the premium positions to do their job.

The easiest example is how a great safety can make the job of his CBs easier. Same goes for guards. Thuney was an example. Do you not think him being so good at LG didn’t help mediocre LTs like Nate Solder (at that point in his career) and Isaiah Wynn play their position at a satisfactory level?

I hope they keep Strange in the interior as I think he could become special at getting to second level blocks on run downs and providing double team to help his center and tackle pass block.

Cole Strange at 29 isn't a square peg. Just because you've convinced yourself of that with nothing but garbage while ignoring the facts doesn't make it true.
I think the problem comes from history. The Pats have failed before with their top pick and since the draft is a crap shoot in a way it is possible that Strange can be a miss. It's too early to tell for sure.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back