PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

If the kid can NOT give up any SACKS in the 2022 season, it will be worth it.....

As I predicted and fwiw, mcvay was quick to make his ‘i was not criticizing the pick and hes a great player’ announcement:

At first I was annoyed, but I think the Rams were genuinely interested in him at 104. McVay said to Snead - "Strange just went." So he knew who the player was. It's not as if he said "Who the F is that?" It's a problem when people post just a clip of the whole video rather than the whole thing, which you can see here.

but he did not get off to a good start at the Senior Bowl practices.

I don't think that's true. They asked him to play differently. He got beat a few times. Then he adjusted and won a lot of the reps he'd previously lost. It's poor analysis to look at a 10- or 20-second practice video and draw conclusions from it, because it only represents a narrow slice of time and circumstances. I'm far more interested in progress and trajectory. He drew praise from multiple publications for his performance at the Senior Bowl, and improved from practice to practice. He played well in the game itself.

But knee-jerk reactions based on a Twitter clip is certainly easier than digging in and researching. ;)

I don't think that's true. They asked him to play differently. He got beat a few times. Then he adjusted and won a lot of the reps he'd previously lost. It's poor analysis to look at a 10- or 20-second practice video and draw conclusions from it, because it only represents a narrow slice of time and circumstances. I'm far more interested in progress and trajectory. He drew praise from multiple publications for his performance at the Senior Bowl, and improved from practice to practice. He played well in the game itself.

But knee-jerk reactions based on a Twitter clip is certainly easier than digging in and researching. ;)
For sure. I am guilty as charged; I only look at short clips of these guys, and I would be the first to admit that this peephole is not to be relied on. My initial impression of Thornton does not seem to be correct on watching more film; he is elusive and shifty, not just wicked fast.

As far as Strange, I was trying to inject a bit of humor and, yes, it was unfair.

When they drafted George Jefferson, I nearly had a heart attack, my lungs were Weezy, I was practically lyin' el floor, and then I thought of Harry, and Bentley, and man I didn't have the Will is to live anymore.
Clearly, Bill needs to bring Lionel Vital back here from the Cowboys

Different positions. Age.
Different positions? What am I missing here? As for age.... eh, it isn't like Mason is on the wrong side of 30....

I stand by my comparison.

When they drafted George Jefferson, I nearly had a heart attack, my lungs were Weezy, I was practically lyin' el floor, and then I thought of Harry, and Bentley, and man I didn't have the Will is to live anymore.
Uh, I don't know if this means I have a good memory, or a bad one...

No offense to Mike but how many times has he actually seen Strange play in a real game, if at all? That isn’t an indictment on him, you or anyone else who isn’t an area or regional scout, when we are talking about a school as small as UT – Chattanooga.

If the Patriots did not feel like there was a substantial drop off between Strange and the next OG, they not have taken them at 29. So the answer to his question is yes, they did feel like he was that much better than the next IOL. In fact, it is very possible that he was their top rated OG.
I can't speak for Mike but I saw 4 A22 games of Strange and a few broadcast. You can buy college A22 and after a while people trade film with each other. Again can't speak for Mike but I know he puts the work in. He's one of the few guys here does.

I would love to see their board. Obviously had a high grade on Strange but I'm curious to see where they had TT as well. Basically top 50 pick they obviously had a high grade on him too but I'm very curious to see how close he was to Jameson Williams for example. Just to get more context in comparison to the rest of the prospects.

Different positions? What am I missing here? As for age.... eh, it isn't like Mason is on the wrong side of 30....

I stand by my comparison.
LG RG. Mason is 5 years older.

Comparing a rookie to a veteran making $9m is silly

The player is fine, it's the massive gaping holes on the defense that are the problem. Guards are relatively easy to find. Corners, LBs, and DL are not
This.

George Karlaftis in the first round. And a player like Andrew Steuber in the mid rounds.

That’s how Parcells would have done it.

Too little too late.

EVERYBODY IN THE ENTIRE ****ING LEAGUE KNOWS THE ****ING TRUTH.
We live in the age of public relations. But the moment caught those two too relaxed, in a spirit of truthfulness. But an unwritten rule was broached: Thou shalt not directly criticize another coach on the draft.

I can't speak for Mike but I saw 4 A22 games of Strange and a few broadcast. You can buy college A22 and after a while people trade film with each other. Again can't speak for Mike but I know he puts the work in. He's one of the few guys here does.

I would love to see their board. Obviously had a high grade on Strange but I'm curious to see where they had TT as well. Basically top 50 pick they obviously had a high grade on him too but I'm very curious to see how close he was to Jameson Williams for example. Just to get more context in comparison to the rest of the prospects.

Thanks BGC. I have not seen this posted - RAS score is a summation of athletic testing. Strange had the highest score of any guard. Did not see this posted anywhere. Notice Strange tested higher than Zion or Ekwonu. Also notice that Chasen Hines tested very high as well.
1651376589846.png

As an aside, the website The Draw Play does a draft gallery each year for the first round picks. This year's theme was "Players as Very Literal Versions of Their College Teams [I'm sorry for this in advance]."

TIL that "Mocs" used to be short for "Moccasins," but is now short for "Mockingbirds."

Attachments

• 1651382001033.png
    1651382001033.png
    439.2 KB · Views: 3
A 49ers supporting friend of mine told me that Shanahan was talking about perceived value in the media and implied that they had a first round value on Strange too.

I can't find the clip online anywhere though.

A 49ers supporting friend of mine told me that Shanahan was talking about perceived value in the media and implied that they had a first round value on Strange too.

I can't find the clip online anywhere though.
Here ya go….

It won’t change the minds of the hardcore haters, unfortunately.

Here ya go….

It won’t change the minds of the hardcore haters, unfortunately.

Ya it won't ever. Strange can come in and start LG week 1 and play every snap and give up 2 sacks and less than a dozen pressues all season and be a road grader in the run game and they'd still say it was a bad pick because some draftnik put a different number next to his name.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back