PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chances for a Jonnu Smith salary dump

I predict a breakout season for him this year...

I would reserve judgment until we see what kind of production the next OC can get from him.
I can't wait to see those TE Jet sweeps. :rolleyes:

I also predict Harry will get it.:D I can dream can't I?? :D

It’s not a dream if induced by illegal controlled substances.

Reality is neither Harry nor smith could he get laid in a women’s prison let alone contribute on a football field!

repeat 100 times

What matters is new money, not the cap hit

Some of the cap hit is from the deferral of first year salary,
His entire 2022 salary is guaranteed, and he has $3.75M in pro-rated signing bonus. If they trade him, after the dead money hit, they can only save about $2.5M this year (although they'd clear up $30M over the next two years).

Honestly, the best way to make room is to convert most of his salary into a signing bonus, which would allow them to reduce his cap hit by about $5M this year.

The guy was targeted 45 times in 17 games - or...less than 3 times a game.

Also had several pretty big plays called back on holding penalties.

McDaniels kept saying, I need to find a way to get him the ball" and never did.

Hard for me to blame pass-catchers who aren't thrown the ball.
Yup. It's much too early to give up on Smith.

FWIW Bedard says after watching tapes it wasn't Josh's fault for J. Smith's lack of production last year.

Smith had a very similar number of targets in 2019, but he caught a higher percentage, and did more with those receptions. In 2020, he had more targets but his catch percentage and yards per catch was similar to 2021. I have no idea what he will do in 2022.

I think Smith can be the Aaron Hernandez clone many people thought/hoped he might be if his skill set can be worked into the system.
As long as the "skill" similarities remain as a YAC/H-back that sorta type, and not an...enjoyer of certain extracurriculars then I'm all on board! Would be nice to be back to 2 good TEs!

I realize I should have specified his skills as "on field". Off field skills will lead Smith to Walpole State.

How about they just utilize him better?

Who knows. Maybe, Jarhead Joe can coach him up, and the new play caller with no experience can find more ways to use him than the most accomplished OC of the last 2 decades could.

Smith is not a TE. He’s gimmick player. Jet sweeps, screens etc. Like N’Keal Harry he’s a stiff athlete with poor body control, so you can’t throw a ball his way if a defender is around to contest the catch. Real bad ball skills.

Personally, I’d try him at a fullback like role. You’ll never get your money’s worth that way, but it might be the best way for him to be an asset to your offense.

Smith is not a TE. He’s gimmick player. Jet sweeps, screens etc. Like N’Keal Harry he’s a stiff athlete with poor body control, so you can’t throw a ball his way if a defender is around to contest the catch. Real bad ball skills.

A TE with really bad ball skills and can't block.

So if Henry repeats, and Smith goes up by 50%, that's pretty good production out of the position, especially if the #1 WR position gets more attention/throws. Would like to see more TD's by the TE's though, just to open them up more as red zone threats.
I'd like to see Jonnu double his production and for Henry to increase . It was encouraging that Henry got more opportunities as the season went along. It never seemed like Jonnu was a top option.

I'd like to see Jonnu double his production and for Henry to increase . It was encouraging that Henry got more opportunities as the season went along. It never seemed like Jonnu was a top option.
I’d rather see more WR production than more TE production

The guy was targeted 45 times in 17 games - or...less than 3 times a game.

Also had several pretty big plays called back on holding penalties.

McDaniels kept saying, I need to find a way to get him the ball" and never did.

Hard for me to blame pass-catchers who aren't thrown the ball.
He was covering for him.

One of the Patriots needs this off-season is to get a good blocking tight end. They had to use a 6th Lineman in that capacity too much last season making them too predictably run in those formations.

Asiasi has the size and showed some blocking ability in 2020 but never saw the field last season. Maybe, he matures into the role. Asiasi can also track a ball down field, so he could be an asset in the passing game as well.

Who backs up Henry if he is lost for any amount of time?

Asiasi or LaCosse = next to nothing.

Henry is solid, but hes not Gronk either Hunter Henry Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com . Smith has never been spectacular Jonnu Smith Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com ,but the Pats must have seen something in him.

5 years Henry 246 targets - 2925 yds - 30 TD - 167 first downs
5 years Smith 214 targets - 1596 yds - 17 TD - 71 first downs

2021 TE production 897 yds - 10 TDs. Combined they are not a terrible duo

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey