PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chances for a Jonnu Smith salary dump

Stop throwing screens designed to a RB should help. It seemed like every time he caught the ball, that was the play.

While this board has overrated him since his signing, he’s better than what he showed in 2021.

Stop throwing screens designed to a RB should help. It seemed like every time he caught the ball, that was the play.

While this board has overrated him since his signing, he’s better than what he showed in 2021.

People whose opinion I value say that's all he can do.

Josh took all the heat, but it's ridiculous to think he was forgetting or being stubborn.

The guy was targeted 45 times in 17 games - or...less than 3 times a game.

Also had several pretty big plays called back on holding penalties.

McDaniels kept saying, I need to find a way to get him the ball" and never did.

Hard for me to blame pass-catchers who aren't thrown the ball.

On the other hand, it is very easy for me to blame "pass-catchers" who do this:

I don’t want to give up a 2nd. This contract isn’t enough of a Brock Osweiler contract to warrant that.

The saving grace is for this for this guy Dalton Keene to step up and pay dividends. Any thing we got from Assasse is gravy.:rolleyes:

Smith's lack of production is primarily on him, IMO. It wasn't just not getting open, but some bad drops early (one leading to a pick six) got in his head I think. Then he finally had a good start to a game with some nice plays, and got hurt. None of these are a good look for him.

But, if he can clean up his own business, I do think there's more they can get out of him, especially as Mac matures. I don't think Jones ran a lot of two-TE sets in college, which is why the offense started doing better when they went to 3-WR sets more often. I'll bet Mac can pick up on some of the nuances of that formation and utilize it better, IF Smith can up his play to make it worth using two TE's.

Whatever percent is below 0%...that is the chances he is on another team next season.

It's the structure of his contract that is killer. All $10 million of 2022 salary is guaranteed. Might as well keep him. Nobody is taking that contract and no benefit in releasing him.

Colts now have need of a TE with Doyle retired.
Maybe the Pats can get them to take Smith for a Pats 5th-7th and and partial payment by Pats of his Salary this year.

Smith might do better with the Colts Offense.

Chances?

Zero.

Someone share those odds with Calvin Ridley BTW.

We are better off holding on to him and hoping he has a better year in my opinion. He wasn't great last year but he wasn't that far off from his year in year out average numbers. There was definitely a dip from the way he was trending the last two years but it worries me that he is what he is and there won't be a real "breakout" and just a relatively marginal improvement.

Two TEs tagged in the past 24 hours....Gesicki (Mia) & Njoku (Cle)
Tag $$$= $10.913 mill
Jonnu may have a market given the dwindling FA pool

Paul Campbell Love GIF by Hallmark Channel

Sorry but his contract does not justify his production if we can move on from him even if it cost us a pick I would did it. Jets sweeps to a move TE gives me nightmares you design jets sweeps for Guys who can't catch in space or guys who don't know the playbook.

We are better off holding on to him and hoping he has a better year in my opinion. He wasn't great last year but he wasn't that far off from his year in year out average numbers. There was definitely a dip from the way he was trending the last two years but it worries me that he is what he is and there won't be a real "breakout" and just a relatively marginal improvement.
We getting marginal production based on what he signed for is highway robbery.

We getting marginal production based on what he signed for is highway robbery.
To me it is similar to the Danny Amendola signing. He was paid for what they thought he could be and not what he was. One would assume based on the initial deal they expected Danny to be producing the way Edelman did that year but Amendola produced the way he always had. Solid when on the field but lots of lingering injuries. Eventually Amendola found a role and was very successful in it here but it wasn't his fault he was paid to be something he wasn't. That unfortunately may be the case with Jonnu and we are just lucky that Henry came on as the season progressed.

To me it is similar to the Danny Amendola signing. He was paid for what they thought he could be and not what he was. One would assume based on the initial deal they expected Danny to be producing the way Edelman did that year but Amendola produced the way he always had. Solid when on the field but lots of lingering injuries. Eventually Amendola found a role and was very successful in it here but it wasn't his fault he was paid to be something he wasn't. That unfortunately may be the case with Jonnu and we are just lucky that Henry came on as the season progressed.
I understand but Danny was Clutch in the end though I can't compare the situation to Jonnu who was not injured. Jonnu looked scared and confused like Harry they both need a clue. :rolleyes:

The guy was targeted 45 times in 17 games - or...less than 3 times a game.

Also had several pretty big plays called back on holding penalties.

McDaniels kept saying, I need to find a way to get him the ball" and never did.

Hard for me to blame pass-catchers who aren't thrown the ball.
I think he had a few early season drops that set the tone for the rest of his season.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back