PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we finally stop pretending that Cam is good?

Then what did happen?

Why have Cassel play three quarters in a game where the Pats could have moved up to the 3 seed with a win?
Because he could not significantly improve his seeding, and had no bye so he rested some of his starters. That isn’t tanking.
There was no real difference in being a 3 or a 4.

but yet bb thinks he gives us the best chance to win?

what are we missing?
My impression is this:
First Stidham was injured in camp. Second there were no preseason games.
Newton a veteran qb who has been average or better most of his career falls out of the sky for the minimum.
BB knows who Cam Newton is and knows the strengths and weaknesses of his team.
He also had next to zero resources to improve last years weak spots. He decided the best way to try and win with this team was to deemphasize the passing game, use a qb with running ability, and win with ball control, defense and special teams. I assume he got pretty much what he expected from newton, except for the brain numbingly stupid plays that costs us numerous games.
By the time it became obvious Newton sucked even worse than expected, and during and after the covid issues and no practices there wasn’t much reason in switching to a second year qb who had no preseason games and zero practice with the 1s all year.
The decision was to hope that defense, special tests and the running game could overcome abandoning any passing game. For a while it worked, winning 4 of 5.
Stidham didn’t play because running a wildcat offense is less risky to your playoff hopes than throwing in a guy who in year 2 had no preseason and no reps for more than half a year.
It would have been puzzling if Newton played and we ran an offense that pretended we had a real QB in there, but we never went beyond wild cat.

As bad as newton is, and he is really bad, we gave up 250 rushing yards to the worst rushing team in the nfl!!!!!

What is bb doing?
We had a shut out at half time.
The defense got worn out because we couldn’t keep the offense on the field. With an average QB we have a big lead and they don’t run. With scam we have a defense that is exhausted.

Last edited:
I am not a Newton guy, but let’s not be too hard on him considering we have the worst set of wide receivers & tight ends in the NFL.

Maholmes would not be QB we all know if he was playing with our receivers & tight ends.

We need WR & TE as much as a new QB.
If you can explain to me how a good receiver makes up for a 10 yard pass bouncing after 5 yards then I would listen.

Our TEs and WRs would not be the players we know if they were playing with mahomes.

I really want Matt Ryan

@Ring 6 You know more about cap than me. Can we afford him for 2-3 seasons and draft a replacement too? Maybe have Ryan lead the team til he's ready?

How does Bill's record without Brady come up in every single thread?
Because it's extremely telling and leads to obvious conclusions that seemingly half of the fan base is oblivious to or in denial of.

I really want Matt Ryan

@Ring 6 You know more about cap than me. Can we afford him for 2-3 seasons and draft a replacement too? Maybe have Ryan lead the team til he's ready?

Ryan is 35/36 years old. We might want to take a chance on a younger guy if we are going to pay that much - I think Ryan has a cap hit of $40M+ if traded. Don't think they will trade him.

QBs are hard to find, I simply think there arent clear cut better alternatives... Stidham has room to grow, maybe not much, but maybe he can become a Game Manager with tim and a 2nd to 3rd year jump isnt that uncommon... I wouldnt let him go just yet, espcially cause behind him we have Hoyer
Well then let's play him these last two completely meaningless games, and jump-start whatever growth there is indeed in him!

Cam Newton is probably the worst player to start 10+ games for this franchise in the belichick era.
I disagree. Just flavour of the month to diss Cam, he's had some bad games and the last one was poor so there's a lot of frustration with him and recency bias but he's not as awful as people make out.

I think any middle of the road QB would have this team in the same position and only the top quality players would've gotten us close to the playoffs. Next year we'll hopefully have one and get back where we belong.

I disagree. Just flavour of the month to diss Cam, he's had some bad games and the last one was poor so there's a lot of frustration with him and recency bias but he's not as awful as people make out.

I think any middle of the road QB would have this team in the same position and only the top quality players would've gotten us close to the playoffs. Next year we'll hopefully have one and get back where we belong.
Yeah we disagree. He stinks. He can’t throw a football. He throws 10 yard passes 5 yards. He has absolutely zero pocket awareness. I’ll say it a different way Newton 2020 is the worst qb/season I have ever seen of a guy who started 13 or more games. Worst. Ever.

Ryan is 35/36 years old. We might want to take a chance on a younger guy if we are going to pay that much - I think Ryan has a cap hit of $40M+ if traded. Don't think they will trade him.
I think they draft a qb high and let Ryan walk after 2021

Cam has had a chance to pull offa comeback in at least five games and he failed measurably each and every time!

Taking a sack on 4th down today was inexcusable.

The fumble in Buffalo

The Denver fiasco.

The Seattle game.

He just doesn’t seem to have “it”.

Problem is we're now used to the guy who had 'it' and more. Anything by comparison was going to be turd, jus so happens Cam is average even without the comparison.

Problem is we're now used to the guy who had 'it' and more. Anything by comparison was going to be turd, jus so happens Cam is average even without the comparison.
I’d take an average Cam over what we got in 2020.

Isn’t Newton ranked 27th out of all qb’s? That is a good bit less than average, and actually it is quite scary to think there are a few qb’s out there worse than newton!

Cam newton has 5 passing tds over 13 games played. That is very below average idk if there is another QB in the league who has that few TDs over a 13 game span.

Stidham might not be good, but his TD to harry in the Chiefs game is something cam newton can't do.

Belichick has tanked in the past. Specifically, in 2005, when the Bengals basically said "Hey, you want the #3 seed instead of the #4 seed? It's yours if you want it." That was the game that ended with Matt Cassel airmailing a 2PC attempt into the stands. [The #3 seed had to play PIT.]
You're wrong on many levels.
1 -The game you're talking about was the last game of the year against Miami. I remember because I was arguing with Fin fans who were making the same bogus claim in order to crap on Belichick.
2 -Cassell's missed pass was wide by a hair and not into the stands. If he had that level of accuracy to miss he'd be in the HOF.
3 -A win in that game would have left the Pats tied with the Steelers at 11-5. With a win over the Steelers during the season the Pats would have moved ahead of them in the seeding.
4 -Cincy, who the Pats never played that year, won the AFCN and ended up playing Pitt at home in the playoff game where Carson Palmer hit a bomb on his first pass and was quickly taken out of the game (and a promising career) on a cheap shot to his knee by the Steelers. It was the same thing they tried to do to Brady in 2001.
5 - There was also the fact that the Pats owned the Steelers and would not have tried to avoid them. If anything they would have tried to avoid their real nemesis, the Broncos, who the Pats lost to in the 2nd round.
6 - Anyone who thinks that Belichick would ever lose a game on purpose isn't paying attention.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back