PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

junk? Our receivers are better than a couple of teams in the NFL.

Get a true #1 WR, a decent TE and the defensive coverages change. It opens up the run game.

Here's the thing, with the evidence we have of how brady performed in 2019 and how he performed in 2020. I don't see how it's even an argument about the talent on offense. I remember all the talk about how we couldn't beat man coverage so brady had to hold onto the ball or throw it away. We can't now say that's all due to the OL to put everything on cam newton

But, the balls in the dirt, the lack of blitz awareness, the poor decision making are definitely concerns that are on camm

Cam newton definitely wasn't put in the best situation to succeed. The receivers were worse than the year before, no Edelman, no tight ends, no offseason. Cam threw the fewest amount of passes.

The question is, does bill feel that if we upgrade the talent, and give cam a whole offseason can he correct some of these issues? I mean the guy threw 24tds in 2018. Has he fallen that far in 2 years?

Also, if bill trades up and takes Fields in the draft and wants him to sit for a year, will we care if cam ends up being a 1 year bridge?

I guess, look at the alternative. Patriots go into next week with no QB trying to convince hunter henry or golladay they are going to catch passes from stidham?
Absolutely, finally someone that gets it. Cam is QB-1, the starter that top skill players will feel comfortable receiving passes from (despite the Pats being #30 in passing ypg).

There is still free agency, the draft, and the possibility that someone like Jimmy G ends up being available in a month or two.
I agree, The Hoyster is a free agent. Bill brings him back to "Run it Back." I'd give up on Jimmy though, Lynch already laughed in Bills face and basically hung up on him, as recently reported. This continued delusion with Jimmy is just going to prolong the pain.

It's also possible that Bill doesn't think cam is as done as we do. And maybe he puts alot of his struggles on the receivers.
Bill thinks Cam is QB-1 that's why he signed him and gave him a raise.
But, more than anything I think it's that it's 3.5million guaranteed. There's minimal risk to the Patriots
Absolutely. Pure genius move by the GM of the Year. Pats don't suck again. Lol

We can only read what we have, and we have to try filling in the blanks as best we can.

Alternative view: we don't have to fill in the blanks. We can keep them wide open, knowing that any "filling" is just guessing and posturing, and ultimately 90% wrong. We can offer up possibilities without having to argue and excrete unfiltered misery. This would lead to a more interesting and satisfying virtual living room to hang out in.

Absolutely, finally someone that gets it. Cam is QB-1, the starter that top skill players will feel comfortable receiving passes from (despite the Pats being #30 in passing ypg).

I agree, The Hoyster is a free agent. Bill brings him back to "Run it Back." I'd give up on Jimmy though, Lynch already laughed in Bills face and basically hung up on him, as recently reported. This continued delusion with Jimmy is just going to prolong the pain.

Bill thinks Cam is QB-1 that's why he signed him and gave him a raise.

Absolutely. Pure genius move by the GM of the Year. Pats don't suck again. Lol

Cam only gets a raise if we have an extremely good season.

At 3.5million cap hit Bill could sign another QB and it wouldn't hurt the cap.

Whatever you can say about last year, players do respect cam newton. I think it's an easier sell than Stidham and Hoyer

I honestly feel like some of you hope the team fails and revel in it. And it's always seems to be those who change their avatars to Tampa Bay. A team they could care less about a year ago.

Thats my whole point. Junk is a strong word but defenses did not have to worry about our receiving options because there isn't talent there that is going to consistently beat 1 on 1 coverage. So defenses concentrated on taking away the only thing that could kill them..a Cam lead rushing attack.

Let's see how they stock the cupboard next week. I promise if we get a WR 1 and WR2 and a steady presence at TE the offense will be successful.
Here's Bill's shopping list for WRs. Recognize a few names? Re-sign some of them and "Run it Back."

20210223_162516.jpg

My view. This is a small gamble by belichick to see if the 49ers cut garopollo so that we can sign him in without trade bait.

Additionally this sets us up well to sign some marquee WR. My guess is on davis or samuels.

I don't think there would have been any gentlemanly agreement to make newton the starter . Newton would not have got a chance to be a starter anywhere else. With the way the incentives are written, cam would really need to earn it.

There is also a possibility that belichick likes a qb in draft and does not want others to know it to drive up trade value. This way there is no newd for a trade up and tev QBOF would just fall to our lap in draft.

This is the optimist in me . Get the running game going, beef up OL and defense and we should be back in contention. Go full defense in draft .

I'll just keep rewatching that first Jets game where he hit his 1st 12 passes and was 20 for 21 at one point with only 3 UDFA WRs. Swiss cheese defense or not, that's a guy who can make throws (even though I wince a little every time I see that throwing motion - and that missed TD to Meyers in the Ravens game still hurts). Start stacking the box in the 2nd half of the Ravens game and have the Texans continue it? Drop the run and throw for 365 yards. Sadly, that game was where we lost Burkhead and Wynn, which really screwed up our passing game the rest of the season.

With Brady, it was easy to see when WRs ran the wrong routes with all that scowling. Last year, we never really knew who was at fault (although admittedly I don't watch the all-22s).

this also helps with FAs.....not only in bringing in talent, but if you're looking at making QB trades or signs, it moves the Patriots off the "desperate" square and gives some leverage
I agree that it provides them a little bit of leverage but if Newton is going to be the starter then this team is at least 3 years from being a serious contender, so I would stay out of the big $$$ free agency and purge the expensive veterans while building back with lower cost FA’s and draft picks. Hightower is one of my favorite player’s but I would look at moving him and the other veterans who won’t be around when they return to being a serious contender. If they can still bring in a serious QB then I would look more at reloading and approach pretty much everything differently.

This is
I agree that it provides them a little bit of leverage but if Newton is going to be the starter then this team is at least 3 years from being a serious contender, so I would stay out of the big $$$ free agency and purge the expensive veterans while building back with lower cost FA’s and draft picks. Hightower is one of my favorite player’s but I would look at moving him and the other veterans who won’t be around when they return to being a serious contender. If they can still bring in a serious QB then I would look more at reloading and approach pretty much everything differently.

I personally think this means Bill is moving up in the draft to take one of the top 5 guys. Supposedly they have Been aggressively scouting guys.

Bill doesn't like to play rookies, and a Fields has similar play style to cam newton. So who better to mentor him.

Also, bill can sit back and wait to see what happens with Jimmy. The Niners aren't moving on from Jimmy anytime soon. So if they don't you are left holding the bag.

For all the hand wringing about $14million. When you look at the real money it's peanuts. But it's an insurance package for the Patriots.

If all else falls through in free agency/the draft they have Cam Newton and can let their rookie learn for a year.

I do think BB likes Cam and I will tell you why. Newton played like hot garbage last year and BB absolutely refused to bench him even though most people even in Boston media were calling for it.

Who gives a flying **** what "most people in Boston media" are calling for ? You have absolute clowns like Volin, Bedard, Felger or Curran competing with each other with utterly idiotic takes that are just there to create ratings or social media engagement.

On the same note..

After an atrocious season, with the entire fan base ready to move on from Cam, he gives him another contract to bring him back

Who gives a fcuk what the entitled ****stain that is this fan base is asking for. Their opinion is irrelevant and null. As it should be.

The only time both the media and fans got to see Newton were camp (media) and Sundays. They have zero access to practice (outside the first 10-15min that are usually warmup) or any other team activities. There is absolutely no reason to think they have a better grasp on what is going on with the team or individual players than pro coaches who all have much more insight into football than all fans and most media bozos. Those coaches also get to spend every day watching players and their relative progress.

This entire narrative that fans think their opinion is informed because they watched a game from broadcast angles and now they can judge players is utter ********. Your opinion doesn't matter because most of us are walking examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect that don't even know what they don't know when it comes to the complex game of football.

Not only that, he also heaps praises at Cam's feet every chance he gets, despite the tremendously awful performances on the field.

So what ?

Maybe he is doing this because internally their evaluation based on practice performance is that we were not losing because of Cam.

Maybe he is cognizant of the fact that Cam got into a pretty difficult situation where he had to come into camp with only 2 weeks of prep time in terms of learning the offense; something that got more exacerbated during the regular season where he was still catching up on the fundamentals of our offense, watching film of opponents and going through the gameplan all at the same time. Every week.

Maybe he realizes that the 2 weeks of COVID break put him even farther behind.

Maybe he also is painfully aware that the pieces on offense were not up to standard in the last two years but there was nothing to be done because of the cap situation.

And guess what.. given the impression coaches and players have shown of Cam it is pretty likely he never complained, worked his ass off, took midgame benchings in stride, showed leadership on and off the field and kept grinding through what must have been pretty brutal lowlight Monday meetings.

Maybe this is why he went out of his way to praise a player who the media bozos and the garbage fanbase declared the new scapegoat.

Who knows.

I don't recall him even doing that for Brady, who won six superbowls.

You don't even have to go back a year... just watch how BB describes Tom in that NFL 100 shows they did right before Brady left. Hell, BB even called Tom iconic and went on about his leadership in the season ending press conference after we lost to the Titans in 2019. The idea that he never publicly praised Brady is just silly.

That being said when it comes to coaching then it is pretty likely that Tom needed a different type of approach than Cam does. Reportedly, Brady was coached hard and also appreciated that. It is a sign of a good teacher/coach if they have enough empathy to realize what approach will yield the best results for different human beings.

I don't live inside BB's head but from everything that I have seen or read, it does seem like the notion that BB likes Cam isn't some far fetched crazy idea.

I also don't think connecting his quote to Cam is that far fetched. If he says he only wants players he wants to coach, and he controls the roster, is it that crazy to think maybe he likes the guys that are on the team?

Apart from "do your job" I don't there is a more iconic BB saying than "we will do what's best for the football team". We are talking about someone who has traded away locker room leaders -- players he as a coach most certainly liked -- in the middle of camp and went head to head with others like e.g. Wilfork during contract negotiations.

You have to separate BB the coach from BB the GM. I am sure he likes most of the players he has on the roster and the quote you keep coming back to refers much more to him not being interested in talented players that are assholes (and therefore potential locker room problems) than anything else.

The AB signing has shown that in the end even he himself has to show mental toughness and accept acquiring a potential ******* that go against your quote because in that situation -- with the offense not looking so hot despite a strong start in '19 -- that was best for the football team.

In summary I am sure he likes Cam but that doesn't mean he wouldn't move on from him if an opportunity would present itself to make the team substantially better. And that is also what this contract reflects.

This is

I personally think this means Bill is moving up in the draft to take one of the top 5 guys. Supposedly they have Been aggressively scouting guys.

Bill doesn't like to play rookies, and a Fields has similar play style to cam newton. So who better to mentor him.

Also, bill can sit back and wait to see what happens with Jimmy. The Niners aren't moving on from Jimmy anytime soon. So if they don't you are left holding the bag.

For all the hand wringing about $14million. When you look at the real money it's peanuts. But it's an insurance package for the Patriots.

If all else falls through in free agency/the draft they have Cam Newton and can let their rookie learn for a year.
I agree that this is likely a first move at QB and not the end game, but I don’t see Belichick moving up more than 5-6 picks in the draft, but if Newton is the starter then they won’t be going to the playoffs, so I wouldn’t waste $$$ on free agent receivers.

I agree that this is likely a first move at QB and not the end game, but I don’t see Belichick moving up more than 5-6 picks in the draft, but if Newton is the starter then they won’t be going to the playoffs, so I wouldn’t waste $$$ on free agent receivers.

But you need receivers for when your Rookie eventually comes in.

You build for the future not just for today. The receiver group needs serious upgrades and can't be ignored because you aren't satisfied with your current QB situation

Here's Bill's shopping list for WRs. Recognize a few names? Re-sign some of them and "Run it Back."

View attachment 31106

I think Sanders would be a realistic and very good signing on a 2-year deal. At 15 we grab the best offensive weapon available. If one of the big 5 QBs falls, grab him. If Pitts falls, grab him. Rashod Bateman will be available at 15. Jules (maybe), Jacoby, Sanders, N'Keal, and Bateman/Pitts would be a good start. With all that said, BB is going to go defense at 15.

Coincidentally just watched this:

Is there a chance we get him? Wonder if his familiarity with cam would make him consider us an option.

Sign curtis samuel and hunter henry would go a long way to improve this receiving corp

My view. This is a small gamble by belichick to see if the 49ers cut garopollo so that we can sign him in without trade bait.
Lmao, at folks thinking that Lynch is dumber than a rock.
Additionally this sets us up well to sign some marquee WR. My guess is on davis or samuels.
Because the Pats were #30 in passing yards per game and dead last in TDs? Again, how dumb do people think these players and "their agents" are?
I don't think there would have been any gentlemanly agreement to make newton the starter . Newton would not have got a chance to be a starter anywhere else. With the way the incentives are written, cam would really need to earn it.
Cam will earn it again, against Stiddy and the Hoyster.
There is also a possibility that belichick likes a qb in draft and does not want others to know it to drive up trade value. This way there is no newd for a trade up and tev QBOF would just fall to our lap in draft.
Huh? Nobody is falling into anyone's lap in the top 15, unless it's Jones.
This is the optimist in me . Get the running game going, beef up OL and defense and we should be back in contention. Go full defense in draft .
I agree with this, except for I would look for defensive talent in FAcy. I know it's not popular for Bill to draft WRs, but if he sticks to the consensus top receivers instead of going against the grain, we could land a high value rookie to compete with Doughboy.

But you need receivers for when your Rookie eventually comes in.

You build for the future not just for today. The receiver group needs serious upgrades and can't be ignored because you aren't satisfied with your current QB situation
I don’t see the sense in paying big $$$$ to a receiver when they are years away from seriously contending. There will always be WR’s and TE’s in free agency, and the less $$$ committed now the more they will have to focus on those units when they are contenders. I would rather see them build the middle of the roster and build a championship caliber defense to go with their run game. If they did manage to get a good QB then I would be more open to a more aggressive approach to free agency and investing in receivers.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back