PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

Will you still be fine when we suck again and still have no quarterback solution a year from now?

They'll draft some bum in the 4th round and press pause on the rebuild for a second year.

There is no long-term solution in QB FA. Unless you're living in a Watson fantasy world or believe its a good idea just waiting and be dependant on other teams QB decisions for some QB to fall into your lap. Its one thing to speculate about fantasy trades which makes media and boards like this exist but reality of FA is another matter. And if some QB BB likes more becomes available (f.e. Garoppolo) and NE is in a position to compete - there's nothing stopping them to make that move.. (personally im not so sure BB likes Jimmy better than Cam)

I enjoyed very much the beginning of the season before Cam got covid. And that team was as depleted as it gets with so many last minute opt-outs, injuries and tight cap.

Cam was last minute decision last yr, no time/circumstance to properly prepare for the season or build around him. This year they can build strong team across the board (which i fully expect they will) and be in a position to find and groom young QB.

What i like about this move as my personal joy is that i dont have to hear about really troubling moves like Mariota, Bridgewater, Smith etc anymore.

Most serious people in media fully expect strong Patriots in 2021 regardless of QB situation. Only pats fans on this board are trashing the season before it began.

I'm surprised Pats didn't go after Fitzpatrick.

Why ? If there is one thing the coaches here don't like it is players that go off script. Fitz is exactly that kind of player.

you've seen how much the cap hit will be?
If it’s over $5 mill, it’s a disaster. If it’s 3 mill, it’s less distasteful. But I guarantee it’ll be over 5 mill.

That is starter money. Good heavens.
$14 mill ?
The devil is in the details.
A mill or two guaranteed.... then a Jimmy G move is still up for discussion.
But Bill is not paying $14 mill for Cam + Jimmy G's salary even if it is partially reduced.
Imagine the fan uproar if Bill was coughing up +$25 mill for a QB combo platter of suck but wouldn't pay Brady

Let's settle down until we see what the Cap hit is on both of them.
51fig7.gif

Why ? If there is one thing the coaches here don't like it is players that go off script. Fitz is exactly that kind of player.
Cam doesn’t go off script ? Lol.

Fitz, at this point in their careers, is a much better QB than Cam.

I mean....they just spent 25 million between Cam and Trent Brown. Going to be tough to go nuts on the WR spot if this keeps up.

Brown doesnt have 11m in guarantees and Newton wont have 14m in guarantees.

They have most likely spend about 10-14m of the 2021 cap in the real world. Maybe even less depending on how many of the incentives in both deals are NLTBE.

im more worreid about the dead cap money that comes from the guarantee but Belichick seems to like him, IBWT i guess

$14 mill ?
The devil is in the details.
A mill or two guaranteed.... then a Jimmy G move is still up for discussion.
But Bill is not paying $14 mill for Cam + Jimmy G's salary even if it is partially reduced.
Imagine the fan uproar if Bill was coughing up +$25 mill for a QB combo platter of suck but wouldn't pay Brady
Goodness. He needs to cough up $25mil or more for the most important position. Who cares about PR or optics? Just pay for a good QB.

Schefter is reporting what the agent has leaked to him. So obviously it will be the top end of what the deal could pay.

We will know when someone like Volin gets his fat fingers on the actual deal. I'd imagine he is getting a nice signing bonus this year as to kinda address last year's ridiculous deal.

But my expectation is that more than half of the 14m will be in incentives, roster bonuses, making playoffs and so on.

Given how low his TD totals and yardage was last year it would be a shock if the Pats are not using them as NLTBE incentives to move some money to '22.

My first thought when I saw $14M was also "NLTBE" but I'm going to be worried until I actually see that getting reported.

In anticipation of the eliminiation of daylight savings time, the Pats have just created the "Fall Forward" offense.

Starting OL: Brown, Wynn, Mason, Cannon, Onwenu, with Herron at TE and Newton under center.

Hike the ball, take one step, and fall forward for 3.34ypr.

The D will be tops in almost every category, as each NE drive, will eat a quarter off the clock.

He's washed up and even if you draft someone you want Cam as a mentor?

Hate this, it's a typical cheap move that's going to blow up in Bills face.
I don't like the signing at all, but Cam is bad because his body has worn out, not because he never had the skills. The 2018 Cam would be incredible to have. According to Bill and teammates, he is a great team guy, the first guy in the building every day, the last guy out every day, and the guys love him. Whether he has the skills or not to start is the question. He is a high character guy who is a good mentor.

Exactly. I'm not a huge Cam Newton fan by any stretch of the imagination but his coach loves him, his teammates love him, and he has time to work on his game so it meshes better with a McDaniels offence (and vice-versa)
I literally had a co worker who everybody loved, even his bosses, but he really sucked at his job, so eventually he was let go.

In anticipation of the eliminiation of daylight savings time, the Pats have just created the "Fall Forward" offense.

Starting OL: Brown, Wynn, Mason, Cannon, Onwenu, with Herron at TE and Newton under center.

Hike the ball, take one step, and fall forward for 3.34ypr.

The D will be tops in almost every category, as each NE drive, will eat a quarter off the clock.

I was going to go into to a Trent Brown thread style rant about that OL proposal but I don't think you're serious.

Cam's the 3rd and short QB - draft a thrower - all good

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back