PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

No worries. SF only has $24m in cap space and holes to fill. Cutting or trading Jimmy puts them up near the top of the pack in total space. I really think a trade for Darnold makes the most sense for them. Jettison Jimmy and improve the roster overall.

Darnold would cost 5M this yr and 19M next on 5y option + troubles to decide on long-term overpay. While he didn't show yet show he can take NFL. With Jimmy they got to SB w similar team they have (or lesser). And they would lose 1 cheap starter for a high pick lost. Do you really think thats a good deal for complete unknown?

You did. But the search function doesn’t go back that far anymore for some reason. Either way you were right then and you’re probably right now.
Nah during the season I was confused and skeptical but only a little perturbed about who played in meaningless games.
Once the season ended I went to bringing back can equals full ****** mode.

I think this means they’re going to target Trey Lance since they both have very similar playing styles. Might mean Newton starts again next year and mentors Lance. FWIW, Lance is also supposed to be a film junkie.

And for Belichick to go through with this deal probably means he already has spoken to a team drafting in the top 7 and they have the parameters of what it would take to trade up.

The main reason I see for this move is to have an established vet at QB as we enter free agency, even someone who had a poor 2020 season.

More palatable numbers........but overreacting is much more fun.
50 cents isn’t palatable.
Having Newton pay us 5 million to be on the team isn’t palatable. Having Cam Newton no where near Gillette Stadium is the only palatable option.

Meanwhile Tom Brady signs extension with TB. **** BILL AND THE KRAFTS. This is so beyond ****ed

This allows the Pats to wait out they niners!!! If the niners move on from Garropolo after free agency and the draft they can either trade for him or pick him up on waivers when most other teams have already committed to a QB. I suspect the Nioners told him that they might move on from JG but it might not be until after the draft.

I can’t imagine Bill would stick with a guy who hasn’t played a healthy season in over 3 years as his only option going into the season.

There’s just no way. If he does, it has to be senility.

I might be the only one that still likes Cam. At the very least we will have a dominant run game. Give him a quality tight end and possibly move on from Harry and things won't be so bad.

Also, look at this way. We won't be so obvious on draft day when we will select a qb etc. Fix the run defense and shoot for a wild card slot imo.

You can post all the BS from Pats Pulpit you want, it doesn't change that the Patriots drafted Cannon to be the RT.

Solder and Cannon were drafted in the same draft. Solder was drafted as a replacement for Light. Cannon was drafted to take over at RT.

The projections come from people who aren't in the Patriots organization.
Pats listed him as a Guard when they drafted him, and lots of people were saying he could be a superb guard.

I don't want to hijack the Cam-bashing any longer, except to say that I would be intrigued to see them move Cannon inside if that's where the holes are. Wynn, Onwenu-Mason-Cannon-Brown? I don't know if he has anything left, but he says he's coming back and I've always been a fan.

LOL at the Brady news coming an hour after this.

I really wonder if he had COVID brain, fogginess and difficulty of concentrating without actively knowing it. We here, were very excited about him after the first three games. And then he was awful after returning from COVID. I’m not ready to write him off.

I totally agree with this line of inquiry (although we'll never know). Having had a mild case of COVID, the lungs and the clear thinking were the last to resolve themselves. I'm amazed at anyone who had it and came back to play pro sports. Jason Tatum still isn't fully back.

At any rate, this signifies we're drafting a QB that can watch cam skip passes all year and learn awful pocket awareness and footwork. Should do wonders for his development. At least he'll learn how to be liked.

Confused Parks And Recreation GIF

This allows the Pats to wait out they niners!!! If the niners move on from Garropolo after free agency and the draft they can either trade for him or pick him up on waivers when most other teams have already committed to a QB. I suspect the Nioners told him that they might move on from JG but it might not be until after the draft.
No it signals desperation to the 9ers.

“Well Bill you can pony up for Jimmy or spend another year having the entire league laugh at you as you go from the GOAT to the worst QB in the NFL. We’ve been laughing ever since you decided to resign a guy who played like THAT.”

The world thinks bill belichick believes Cam Newton is a good QB. Think about that.
Every team trying to dump a failure of a player will have bill on speed dial.

I really wonder if he had COVID brain, fogginess and difficulty of concentrating without actively knowing it. We here, were very excited about him after the first three games. And then he was awful after returning from COVID. I’m not ready to write him off.

This is simple. I have said all along that if they bring back Cam, I will conclude that they are not serious about competeing next year. If they don't care about next year, I don't either. After over 50 years, I'm out.

Maybe this will become meaningful in the context of other decisions moving forward, but I'm not holding my breath.

My other thoughts are unprintable. Let's just say they have to do with my hope that Bill et al will just go off somewhere and "love" themselves senseless.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back