PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

This doesn’t stop the Pats from drafting a QB but yikes. Not a good start.
$60+ mill in cap space could have bought several foundation pieces for the next great Patriots era.
Or
$60+ mill could buy severely warted one year stop gaps like Lazy and Lousy

I do think he's a good mentor actually. He was able to galvanize the team around him and was a great leader. He played like **** but there are a lot of intangibles a rookie can learn from.
Love him or hate him, he also took on the biggest burden in the league - being the Guy After TB. Someone had to take the arrows, and it's good to have that over with at least (especially if he's indeed ultimately expendable - nowhere to go but up).

People and this Covid talk. I know plenty of people close to me who had it. Nobody spoke of a lingering fog or any kind of bs. Cam just sucked, he got figured out real quick by opposing defenses. The guy sucks, the Covid fog bs is a lame excuse.
I had COVID, with a positive test on Jan 3. I never had a fever, but minor congestion and a small cough that went away in a week, but the tiredness and brain fog lasted 3 weeks or more for me, over lasted a month for my adult daughter.

I didn't say he's gonna light it up on the field, but it's clear he's popular. Do you disagree?
You think players are going to come here to be part of the absolute worst passing offense in the nfl because cams a nice guy? Do you think everyone on teams with a chance to win are azzholes?

Love him or hate him, he also took on the biggest burden in the league - being the Guy After TB. Someone had to take the arrows, and it's good to have that over with at least (especially if he's indeed ultimately expendable - nowhere to go but up).
It’s not over the suck continues.

I am thinking Lance makes sense too. Lance can plug into the Newton-type offense and provide continuity for McDaniels in 2022. Lance definitely needs a year at least on the bench but has lots of potential.

Wondering if Bill and Josh see potential having a guy like Newton/Lance in their system and want to keep pursuing that path offensively. Defenses are built to stop the pass first, run second these days so it is a good way to exploit that.
If signing Cam is a prelude to draft Lance I am all in.

I think this was a necessary move to bring in someone well-regarded around the league (Newton is) before the start of FA.

Curtis Samuel knows Cam. Bill can sell Cam to a TE, as Newton has always thrived with TEs.

They had to do something. My guess is that Jimmy G might still become available - but that might not happen until Draft Day or later, and might not happen at all if things don't fall right for SF. Mariota wants big $$$.

So WHO is out there? Would the Jags trade Minshew? I wouldn't, unless I got an overpay - capable QB for less than a half-million? Is Trubisky still a possibility? Possibly, but you can't go into FA with nothing.

Or, I could be wrong, and BB simply believes that Newton can give him a lot more than we saw last year.

One thing I hope the Pats now do immediately is get Jesse James or some other willing TE blocker.

I remember @Ring 6 said one week, I believe it was before the first or second Bills game (but the search function on this forum has gone to crap), that if Cam started the next week, he would officially think Bill has lost it. I’m beginning to think he was on to something.
I can't subscribe to this. WEEI is saying 8m, which is back up money. I am good with that, IF they get a top level QB in the draft.

I had COVID, with a positive test on Jan 3. I never had a fever, but minor congestion and a small cough that went away in a week, but the tiredness and brain fog lasted 3 weeks or more for me, over lasted a month for my adult daughter.
Glad you recovered and are doing well, you and your daughter.

This deal is not as bad as I thought. It's up to $14m with lots of incentives.

Also, a friend just clued me in that Taysom Hill is getting paid $16m so, a 1 year for Cam incentive-laden $14m isn't horribly bad.

Bill just bought us a ticket to mediocrity

I know BB really likes Cam, but how can he ignore the fact he can't throw the football?

Maybe it is not the highly successful football coach and his staff that is wrong in their assessment of Newton but the armchair fans and hot take beat guys who have about 5% of the access to the QB compared to the staff.

And given how a majority of people kinda talk negatively about his arm even though that was rarely an issue last year (hint: footwork) I think maybe lets give some benefit of doubt to the actual experts instead.

Per Jeff howe patriots still going to look hard in free agency/draft/trades. This is just a fallback if everything falls through

Even if it is 8 million, that’s way too much for a qb that can’t throw the ball.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back