PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bye Bye - Who needs to go at the end of the season

If Bob and Bill part ways, most likely everyone on your list departs.

But this board will erupt when it's announced Bill returns as HC for the Pats for 2024. Unless he's traded, he may make more money getting paid the remainder of his contract then take another HC gig which would void his contract. He won't sit out until he's done being paid by Kraft. Because of this, he will want his sons employed so he will give up GM duties to remain in NE. Bob doesn't have to go through the Head Coaching search and Bill stays. Everyone wins.....

Happy Fun GIF by reactionseditor

Cam achord, he shouldve been gone since the end of the 2021 season but somehow managed to stick around despite now multiple seasons of not just underperforming, but sometimes downright horrible special teams.

Trent brown, usually great when available but be coming totally unreliable again. Id rather start fresh here and invest in a younger franchise LT than rely on him unless you’re investing in a very strong swing tackle option. No point paying this guy if youll have a vederian lowe type starting a bunch of games and being a liability.

Myles Bryant, I appreciate the effort but hes a magnet for bad, backbreaking plays.

The latter 2 are free agents so that shouldn’t be tough. Id only see bryant sticking around if bb is still controlling personnel choices in which we’re screwed anyway.

Qb is another easy one. Im not sure which ones you wanna keep as depth but if you don’t get to take a qb with the first pick, try to grab a second or third tier qb which can still at least be a solid placeholder for us for cheap.

Parker and juju should be shipped out post june 1 as i think a trade then is the best way to save money on both

As i said before im with the crowd who doesnt want changes defensively. Its at the least a top 10 d with judon and Gonzalez back. And most guys other than these 2 wont net you much in return anyways, it just adds to the list of needs and dead cap. The only one id even consider is godchaux since that would free up over 8m.

BB is going through what Brady did his last year.
Things have finally soured to the point of no return. There's no way the Krafts see a path forward in the same system.

Then - either BOB or Mayo gets the HC job, and they gut the assistants (Judge, Achord, Brown, Stevie & Brian, Sunseri)
OR - fire everyone and start completely over. (A guy like Jim Harbaugh, Ben Johnson, Matt Nagy)
OR OR - they do the unthinkable and hire JMD (I bet it's a consideration, but that would be disastrous)

Kraft loves his ex-Pats asst. coaches. So, if not Josh, Billy O, or Mayo... What about Daboll (after he gets fired this year)?

Mac… get the stink out of the building.

His teammates like the person but hate the player, even if they can’t say so. He gives them zero chance to win.

Draft a QB high, take one later on in the draft as well. Start Zappe/Grier until the rookie is ready.

This isn’t hard.

Last year we lost 4 1-score games all year.
This year we've lost 5 already.
Sure, lack of clutch players contributes a lot. But so does coaching - motivation even more than scheme.
This is where BB has gotten too complacent. He just stands around glaring like a lost grandpa.

As bad as I feel for Mac in how the situation has ruined his NFL chances... they have to start Zappe - maybe the rest of the way.

Last year we lost 4 1-score games all year.
This year we've lost 5 already.
Sure, lack of clutch players contributes a lot. But so does coaching - motivation even more than scheme.
This is where BB has gotten too complacent. He just stands around glaring like a lost grandpa.

As bad as I feel for Mac in how the situation has ruined his NFL chances... they have to start Zappe - maybe the rest of the way.
They don't have to. If they're aiming for a Top 3 pick, they might as well stick with Mac.

If Bob and Bill part ways, most likely everyone on your list departs.

But this board will erupt when it's announced Bill returns as HC for the Pats for 2024. Unless he's traded, he may make more money getting paid the remainder of his contract then take another HC gig which would void his contract. He won't sit out until he's done being paid by Kraft. Because of this, he will want his sons employed so he will give up GM duties to remain in NE. Bob doesn't have to go through the Head Coaching search and Bill stays. Everyone wins.....

Happy Fun GIF by reactionseditor
It's weird the ire for Bill (the coach) and his sons. The problem is 100% the roster Bill the GM put together. The sons are not the issue with this football team, and it's sort of strange the way people are fixated on that. I mean, I get where a lot of that comes from - they get more airtime on the radio (they bring it up all the time) than guys like Judge ... who is just a token assistant coach while Bill is seemingly trying to rehabilitate his rep.

But I don't know what Brian & Steve have done to irk people. They're among the few coaches getting it done right now and it's too bad one of them didn't develop into an O-Line coach...they could certainly use one. But last I checked, the safety play has been good and the defense has been keeping them in games all year. The troubles are obviously on the other side of the football.

But I don't know what Brian & Steve have done to irk people.
Nepotism has been the buzzword here. Dean Pees had better defenses statistically during his time at DC, but was fired. Bill will not give Steve this title to protect him from getting any blame. Because there’s no “DC”, you can’t can’t point the finger at anyone.

But their defenses have been fooling fans for years with their “ranking” beating up on bad teams. The stat fans continue to ignore is how they actually do against the NFL’s better offenses or just teams .500 and above. It’s not good. In fact, there’s the joke on here asking “how’s the weather” when they’d play a good team knowing that’s the only thing that slows down the opposing team.

Steve and Brian need to go on their own. They will eventually have to anyways.

Last edited:
Brand new QB room next year is the way to go. Could keep Mac as a backup to start the season but either way mentally he doesn’t seem to have what it takes to be a franchise QB. Just don’t get a leadership vibe from him. Probably best to move on. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good. I’d rather get a vet not named Brian Hoyer or Trace McSorely in his place.

Zappe is trash and I doubt Grier is much better. Cunningham is a project and I think the team sees him at that.

Bourne is by far their best WR and has a great attitude when not being coached by a rocket scientist. I don't understand why anyone would want him to depart.

It's weird the ire for Bill (the coach) and his sons. The problem is 100% the roster Bill the GM put together. The sons are not the issue with this football team, and it's sort of strange the way people are fixated on that. I mean, I get where a lot of that comes from - they get more airtime on the radio (they bring it up all the time) than guys like Judge ... who is just a token assistant coach while Bill is seemingly trying to rehabilitate his rep.

But I don't know what Brian & Steve have done to irk people. They're among the few coaches getting it done right now and it's too bad one of them didn't develop into an O-Line coach...they could certainly use one. But last I checked, the safety play has been good and the defense has been keeping them in games all year. The troubles are obviously on the other side of the football.
The problem is is that they're coaching for the Pats. Bill's dad didn't get him a job at Navy under him. He got him a job with the Lions. If Bill got his sons jobs on other teams, there wouldn't be this ire. The optics don't look good. And as I've said, BB the GM keeps giving his sons the pieces to succeed as well while other parts of the team are ignored.

The problem is is that they're coaching for the Pats. Bill's dad didn't get him a job at Navy under him. He got him a job with the Lions. If Bill got his sons jobs on other teams, there wouldn't be this ire. The optics don't look good. And as I've said, BB the GM keeps giving his sons the pieces to succeed as well while other parts of the team are ignored.
Yep. And what about McCourty saying after how he retired one of these boys was given the job as safeties coach and right out came out, not as gay, but admitted he was CLUELESS how to coach the group.

Why was this? Nepotism. I see it in the corporate world, too. Getting worse, really.

Yep. And what about McCourty saying after how he retired one of these boys was given the job as safeties coach and right out came out, not as gay, but admitted he was CLUELESS how to coach the group.

Why was this? Nepotism. I see it in the corporate world, too. Getting worse, really.
That was his first year as a coach, and literally before he ever coached a game. It's not like he had been coaching for years at that point.

That was his first year as a coach, and literally before he ever coached a game. It's not like he had been coaching for years at that point.
You're making his point. If he was the safeties coach from Foxboro High would he have gotten the chance with more experience?

Could well be a sea of change

Coaching- across the board
GM - enough said

Without naming names the following positions require significant upgrades and / or will have starters departing.

By all estimates this is a multi year rebuild, it may not even be worth getting a QB kin round 1 unless he is a super stud so the rest of the roster can be rebuilt.

QBs - all of ‘em
WRs - Douglass stays, at least two open starting slots (Bourne FA, rest stink)
TE - Hunter is a free agent
LT - Brown is FA
RG - Onwenu is FA

DT - Godchaux is horid
DE - Uche is FA
LB - Wilson is a FA
CB - Other than Gonzales not sure who is left
S - Dugger is a FA

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference