PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By far best defense we had in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This defense, as a whole> 2014 defense. That team fed off having a strong secondary.

The thing about Pittsburgh is they can come from behind and catch you. If they want to drop back and chuck they can. So even if the Pats are up 10 points, Pitt can over come it. Pitt will also be a lot more aggressive going for TD's instead of kicking FG's. They will go for it on 4th down near the goal line.

This defense, as a whole> 2014 defense. That team fed off having a strong secondary.
This defense has more depth and versatility. Also, that secondary under-performed big time in the playoffs.

Not ready to crown them yet, to do that they gotta go all the way.

The thing about Pittsburgh is they can come from behind and catch you. If they want to drop back and chuck they can. So even if the Pats are up 10 points, Pitt can over come it. Pitt will also be a lot more aggressive going for TD's instead of kicking FG's. They will go for it on 4th down near the goal line.

Actually, a few teams have been aggressive against the Pats D on fourth and short in the red zone and come away with nothing. That's been a factor in the low PPG for this defense.

That's not to say I don't credit this defense with some very good play, but until they shut down or slow down a top QB/offense, they will still have their doubters.

2014 defense had the clutch gene that we aren't sure this defense has yet. We have potentially two games left to find out if they have it or if they even need to have it.

But faced better opposing QBs....
You aren't as good as who you faced, you are as good as who you are.
By this logic if the 85 Bears played a lot of bad offenses, they would have been a bad defense.

Its all about getting a key stop from going down multiple possessions. If the Defense can hold us up 1 possession or keep us within 1 possession and if they can get a key stop at the end of the game, thats all that matters. I don't expect the Steelers to kick 6 friggen FG's. I am assuming they will get into the end zone.

The Steelers defense has played great lately, so this game should be a great match up.

2014 defense had the clutch gene that we aren't sure this defense has yet. We have potentially two games left to find out if they have it or if they even need to have it.

I'll take a defense that can play well for an entire game and shut teams down for 60 minutes so that it doesn't have to make improbable plays to close out games, as opposed to one that plays like **** for most of the game (as the 2014 defense did vs Baltimore) or gives up big plays at inopportune times (as the 2014 defense did vs Seattle.)

It so nice to having to worry about a drive stalling and putting the D out there. I think we all dreaded that for a good few seasons in the past. 2011 being the absolute worst when teams could convert 3rd and a million almost every time.

Completely agree on 2011's D. The secondary now vs the secondary in 2011 is a stark contrast, And if Welker makes that, albeit tough, catch we are very likely SB winners. It's one crazy world we live in ain't it? :)

Rewatch some of those drives in the Baltimore divisional.

I've seen all the games, time and again. You're just way off on this. Way off.

This defense isn't even in the same league as 2014's defense, post-Browner insertion.

I've seen all the games, time and again. You're just way off on this. Way off.

This defense isn't even in the same league as 2014's defense, post-Browner insertion.

This defense doesn't quite have the star power of the 14 defense, but it is simply far more consistent as of late from what we've seen so far.

I could change my mind on that if they get toasted by Pitt, but otherwise from what I've seen lately, it's been at the very least on par with it.

What do you think is better about that defense exactly compared to this one in specific? Don't go by personnel, go by what they've done on the field.

What do you think is better about that defense exactly compared to this one in specific? Don't go by personnel, go by what they've done on the field.

Better DL play
Better LB play
Better DB play

2014 was a better defense, and it showed, while playing against stronger opponents.

One big difference I feel is the depth we have now at DE that we did not have then.

I remember Nink being out there for an absurd amount of snaps that year. Something around 95%?

This year, we have four different DE's that can rotate in and out. Having fresh legs can be huge later in the game when you need a pass rush. Jones and Nink would be gassed at times late in games that year.
Better DL play
Better LB play
Better DB play

2014 was a better defense, and it showed, while playing against stronger opponents.
That doesn't really answer anything, but okay. Details, details.

You can't really make the assumption yet that this defense plays weaker against stronger opponents than that one did when it's pretty much an unknown up to this point.

The only time it did play weaker was the week after Collins was traded, and we were still trying to figure out the correct personnel. That 14 defense had its weak games as well, I'd probably count the Baltimore game as one of them.

Better DL play
Better LB play
Better DB play

That defense was shredded against most of those strong opponents.

Peyton put up 400+ passing yards. Luckily, the offense and STs was on fire, and the defense was able to force a couple of turnovers.

Aaron Rodgers had 368 passing yards and GB converted on 59% of their 3rd downs, which allowed them to dominate TOP and win the game.

Baltimore had 428 yards of offense and 31 points.

Seattle had nearly 400 yards of offense and averaged 7.5 yards per play. The defense gave up numerous big plays at some of the most inopportune times.

It was a good defense that came up with some big plays when it needed to, but no need to overrate it. It underperformed in the postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes