PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By far best defense we had in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2014 had the most cornerback talent that I can remember in a LONG time.

They had........

Revis
Browner
Arrington
Ryan
Butler

...and that depth was appreciated with the schedule they faced. Someone already mentioned the QBs the team faced that year, but they also faced the best wide receiver duos that year as well......

CHI - Marshall / Jeffrey
GB - Nelson / Cobb
DET - Megatron / Tate
DEN - Thomas / Sanders

I don't think it was just the talent of our CBs that made them stand out, but we had flexibility as well. We all know that Arrington is a much different type of corner than Browner. Not only that but Browner's physical style complimented Revis quite well.

All I know is that 2014 is a good example of how much STILL needs to fall into place to win a championship even when you have a stacked team.

Just think.........

The 2014 had the best Pats D in recent memory (or second best if you are like the OP and like this year's team).

The 2014 had a Super Bowl run with a healthy Gronk, Edelman, and Amendola.

Even with those two things in consideration we were still ONE YARD from not winning it.

The 2014 had the most cornerback talent that I can remember in a LONG time.

They had........

Revis
Browner
Arrington
Ryan
Butler

...and that depth was appreciated with the schedule they faced. Someone already mentioned the QBs the team faced that year, but they also faced the best wide receiver duos that year as well......

CHI - Marshall / Jeffrey
GB - Nelson / Cobb
DET - Megatron / Tate
DEN - Thomas / Sanders

I don't think it was just the talent of our CBs that made them stand out, but we had flexibility as well. We all know that Arrington is a much different type of corner than Browner. Not only that but Browner's physical style complimented Revis quite well.
Browner struggled a lot.
Arrington was usually good in the slot but got benched a couple of times.
Butler really didn't play but sparingly during the season and then got his chance in the SB but for the largest part of the season he wasn't really part of the defense.

I would take Rowe over browner. And Ryan vs Arrington is a toss up. If we needed a 4th corner this year like we did at times in 14 then that depth might be a factor.

All I know is that 2014 is a good example of how much STILL needs to fall into place to win a championship even when you have a stacked team.

Just think.........

The 2014 had the best Pats D in recent memory (or second best if you are like the OP and like this year's team).

The 2014 had a Super Bowl run with a healthy Gronk, Edelman, and Amendola.

Even with those two things in consideration we were still ONE YARD from not winning it.

And remember even in 2003 and 2004, the best Pats team ever, they only won by 3. Stats can be misleading. What the 2014 team was or was not is not important. All that counts it what the Pats D will do on Sunday. Honestly, if giving Bell 200 yards will limit them to FGs, let him have the yards!

Honestly, if the Pats D does a good job with the Steelers, it will be a good sign for a game against the Packers or Falcons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down