PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By far best defense we had in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This is by far the best defense we had in a very long long time, we had a special group of people during the 2001-2006 era, but this group of guys are very good.

Our secondary looks to be very solid and we got a corner back like Butler who has swag and that isn't afraid to tackle. Our defensive linemen are solid with Brown stepping up his game big time.
DMC is playing lights out, he has stepped up his game big time the last few weeks.
Our linebackers are playing very well with Hightower leading the way and Van Noy playing with lots of confidence.
Our pass rush has been good last night, may not have been the greatest but they kept Osweiler uncomfortable the whole game and making him get rid of the ball sooner.

I feel much more comfortable with this defense than the previous several years.

It so nice to having to worry about a drive stalling and putting the D out there. I think we all dreaded that for a good few seasons in the past. 2011 being the absolute worst when teams could convert 3rd and a million almost every time.

Let's not get carried away. Brock Osweiler is horrible
Pittsburgh with Ben, Bell and Brown are still a formidable matchup

Let's not get carried away. Brock Osweiler is horrible
Pittsburgh with Ben, Bell and Brown are still a formidable matchup

The 2009-2012 Pats Defense would have been abused by Osweiler. Even Sanchez looked good in the playoffs against them. This defense is light years better than that group. They earned all the accolades they are getting for last night regardless of opponent.

I continue to be intrigued by a highly competitive defense comprised of many cap-wise economic players, WITHOUT the burden of 5 or 6 cap-wise expensive players. If it can be made to work, it can be sustained economically year to year!

In contrast, let's see how long Seattle and Denver can keep their stable of "Elite Defenders". The "Legion of Boom" didn't look so formidable this year.

I think the Pats are set up for multiple years of success WITHOUT the likes of Collins and Jones. Plug and play with smart, flexible, hungry players.

Go Pats!

Last edited:
Best D since 07 at the least. IDK if i put it up there with the 06' 04' or 03' Ds but certainly pretty damn good.

I have a ton of confidence in it generally. I am still unsure how it would do vs high powered Os like Pitt/GB/Atlanta but I think it could limit them enough.

I continue to be intrigued by a highly competitive defense comprised of many cap-wise economic players, WITHOUT the burden of 5 or 6 cap-wise expensive players. If it can be made to work, it can be sustained economically year to year!

In contrast, let's see how long Seattle and Denver can keep their stable of "Elite Defenders". The "Legion of Boom" didn't look so formidable this year.

I think the Pats are set up for multiple years of success WITHOUT the likes of Collins and Jones. Plug and play with smart, flexible, hungry players.

Go Pats!

Great observation. Though you have to wonder how Belichick is going to replace Logan Ryan (assuming he decides to sign a lucrative contract with another team)

From what I've been told, this upcoming draft has some of the deepest, most talented group of defensive backs and pass rushers in years. Maybe we'll have success grooming Ryan's replacement?

Last edited:
I haven't been following the team as long as many of the Pat fans on here. I have been very impressed with our defense over the past two months. I think you have to take into consideration the teams and qb's that we have played though. When I just looked back, it's definitely not a who's who of qb's. The one very good quarterback we played, Russell Wilson, we were not competitive. If Pitt wins today, then, we'll see what happens.
As far as the best Pat defense, I still have a special place in my heart for our 2014 Championship team. Our secondary was amazing with Revis and company and with Collins playing at a high level along with Hightower, Jones and Wilfork, I like that defense better.

Great observation. Though you have to wonder how Belichick is going to replace Logan Ryan (assuming he decides to sigb a lucrative contract with another team)?

From what I've been told, this upcoming draft has some of the deepest, most talented group of defensive backs and pass rushers in years. Maybe we'll have success grooming Ryan's replacement?

I assume we will go forward with Malcolm Butler and Eric Rowe on the outside and Cyrus Jones in the slot combined with Coleman and a few rookies.

I haven't been following the team as long as many of the Pat fans on here. I have been very impressed with our defense over the past two months. I think you have to take into consideration the teams and qb's that we have played though. When I just looked back, it's definitely not a who's who of qb's. The one very good quarterback we played, Russell Wilson, we were not competitive. If Pitt wins today, then, we'll see what happens.
As far as the best Pat defense, I still have a special place in my heart for our 2014 Championship team. Our secondary was amazing with Revis and company and with Collins playing at a high level along with Hightower, Jones and Wilfork, I like that defense better.

That 2014 defense was a monster in the 4th qtrs. I forget the stats but they gave up very few points in crunch time.

This is by far the best defense we had in a very long long time

giphy.gif

Logan Ryan doesn't get enough credit

We do not have a Defensive line composed of Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren all in their prime.
The people we do have a very intelligent and some of them possess cat-like quickness.

Look at Breaking down the McCourty INT, 3Q Texans

Well can't compare the line of 3 first round picks on that D Line to this, a bit unfair, plus that those guys played 3/4 defense due to their size.

With this team we been playing mostly 4/3 the last several years.

Well can't compare the line of 3 first round picks on that D Line to this, a bit unfair, plus that those guys played 3/4 defense due to their size.

With this team we been playing mostly 4/3 the last several years.
Of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back