PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BU makes major breakthrough on detecting CTE in the living

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
If nothing else, this should help put a lot of minds at ease. And many others at the opposite of ease. At least players may not have to spend their time wondering, I guess.

Learning about all the Patriots who I spent the last couple decades cheering for who have it is going to be a real gut punch.

Breakthrough? Based on recent discoveries, I have a CTE Test which can detect CTE with 99% accuracy:

Q: Do you play pro football? If yes, you have CTE.

Can't wait to see how the league reacts to this news. Discredit and deny has been the strategy so far.

If nothing else, this should help put a lot of minds at ease. And many others at the opposite of ease. At least players may not have to spend their time wondering, I guess.

Learning about all the Patriots who I spent the last couple decades cheering for who have it is going to be a real gut punch.
You're right, but at a bare minimum, progress in diagnostics is also progress towards therapy solutions. I'm not saying it means a cure's in the wind, but the first step towards curing or ameliorating a problem is getting better at identifying all the symptoms.

Wow this could be the thing that ends the game as we know it.
You're right, but at a bare minimum, progress in diagnostics is also progress towards therapy solutions. I'm not saying it means a cure's in the wind, but the first step towards curing or ameliorating a problem is getting better at identifying all the symptoms.
For some reason, I also saw it from Simpleton's POV. I'm not sure why, and I'm certainly not meaning to suggest that it's the correct POV, but potentially saving the game is what initially came to mind.

I think the last report of 110/111 showing CTE made me feel more like what Dr.Pain is suggesting. For some reason, this comes off as more optimistic to me. I don't know.

I believe that eventually, CTE in football players (and athletes in all contact sports) will be preventable/treatable.

Anyone actually read the article? I did. And the Dr. at the center of it all comes out and says that this there is still lots of testing to do..

So, no. It's not a game changer yet.

Breakthrough may lead to ability to diagnose CTE in living football players

"She cautioned that a lot more research is needed. The BU findings are preliminary and have to be validated. "
Of course. More research is always needed. But this definitely seems to be a step in the right direction.

I can detect it to. Find people who have had concussions. Preferably people who have had more than one or engage in activities that tend to lead to head injuries.

I believe that eventually, CTE in football players (and athletes in all contact sports) will be preventable/treatable.
Eventually, I really hope so. In the short term, I'm afraid that what this research will accomplish is convincing a lot of players to retire early if they're beginning to show the early signs of CTE. A lot of very promising careers are going to be cut short to preserve an athlete's quality of life, and that's a good thing, but it's not going to be good for the talent pool of the NFL and other pro sports (especially NFL and NHL, but concussions are a problem across all professional sports)

Lets not forget, Roger and the NFL ended their concussion research "partnership" with BU last year by pulling $16 mill in funding.
But BU said screw you to the NFL and funded the research on their own....and low and behold.
Was the NFL fearful of this type of discovery?
Their tobacco lawyers know all about break through science that reveals uncomfortable truths.
Rough week for Rog and his billionaire sugar daddies.

I wonder what % of those likely to have CTE also would want to know that information. I've thought a fair bit about this in RE: Alzheimer's Disease. If you could know today that someday in the future you will suffer from the effects of that disease, would you want that information? There are substantial pros and cons to such information at this time.

I wonder what % of those likely to have CTE also would want to know that information. I've thought a fair bit about this in RE: Alzheimer's Disease. If you could know today that someday in the future you will suffer from the effects of that disease, would you want that information? There are substantial pros and cons to such information at this time.
As much as it would make me paranoid every time I left the keys in the ignition or forgot my wallet on the way out the door... I would want to know what I was in for yes. It would give me a much better chance to set my affairs in order in advance, while I was still able to think clearly.

No one really wants to think about losing their mind, but it would be irresponsible of me not to seek knowledge that might put additional burdens on my family no matter what it cost me.

Frankly it's the sort of thing I've been thinking about for years. There is Alzheimers in my family line, and Mom's been growing increasingly vague as she gets older. A lymphoma that attacked her skull and damaged her brain does not help matters, Alzheimers and similar conditions frequently manifest in brains that have already been traumatized. If I was at risk, absolutely 100% I'd want to know about it. If not for my own sake, than because my family deserves to be prepared for what such a condition would cost THEM, were I to get it.

I've thought about it.

I've had a handful concussions (sports, car accidents) and have had a couple of blood relatives pass away from Alzheimer's. I'm sure I rank high on some study.

Other than creaky joints from playing hoop and running, I remember everything and feel great.

Out of sheer fear, I have zero interest in finding out but I am living and making sure my family is taken care of the best I can.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back