PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OTish: New BU study indicates tackle football before 12 not a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guys that start younger become the coaches favorites in Middle School and High School.

Why did they limit their study to brains donated if they were going to analyze symptoms through interviews? It does nothing but create an inferior sample. You can analyze live brains in that manner, there’s no reason to focus on dead ones.

Not only that, but using people that are not dead allows a battery of cognitive tests using objective criteria instead of subjective opinions from family members.

The only advantage to using brains donated is that even though the sample is bias you can at least analyze the actual brain matter objectively- which they apparently didn’t even do.

This study does not make sense.

Last edited:
Getting tired of studies. Meat's good for you, no its bad for you. Milk is good, milk is bad. Flossing is good for your teeth and gums, it doesn't make a difference etc.

Don't get me wrong, I support science and studies, but it seems they are becoming a punchline for both the left and the right and seem to constantly contradict each other.

Getting tired of studies. Meat's good for you, no its bad for you. Milk is good, milk is bad. Flossing is good for your teeth and gums, it doesn't make a difference etc.

Don't get me wrong, I support science and studies, but it seems they are becoming a punchline for both the left and the right and seem to constantly contradict each other.

I haven't seen a lot of studies suggesting that repeated hits to the head don't matter. The question will become one of thresholds.

Why did they limit their study to brains donated if they were going to analyze symptoms through interviews? .

One of their main goals was to see if there was a correlation between CTE severity and age of onset of football playing, and you can only diagnose CTE postmortem. They looked at many different things. In fact, one thing not being reported is that they did not find that correlation. From the study:
In this sample of deceased tackle football players, younger age of exposure to tackle football was not associated with CTE pathological severity, but predicted earlier neurobehavioral symptom onset.

You can bet if they found that correlation, it would be getting much more press. Indeed, the main objective result is negative: no significant correlation between tackle football age and CTE severity. (By objective I mean based on histological results rather than interviews about psychological history).

So, you still smoke cigarettes?

The reality is that players need more protection, and youngsters are even more vulnerable than those in the NFL. There will always be fans for a more violent game (and for blood sports). However, unless something is done, football will become like boxing.

BTW, I have absolutely ZERO question with regard to the likelihood of the NFL and others continuing to improve protection for the players, including rules changes that posters here don't like. American football has a huge following, and will grow throughout the world, especially with the NFL expansions, increased TV/internet coverage, and now legal betting throughout the game.

Greed is good! And, in this case, greed leads to more protection for players.

Last edited:
Guess it’s curling for my kids.

There is nothing wrong with tackle football if you play responsibly and friendly.

I played it as a kid like many did with friends. No one ever got hurt cause we tackled cleanly and were careful with how we brought people down.

Also when we were being tackled the unspoken rule is just go down when they get you. That helped keep it from getting too crazy.

"Studies" are how science has progressed for a millenia. Sorry you're tired of them though.

Agreed. I got into an argument with a friend of mine who's a doctor with his "Humans shouldn't drink cow milk it's bad for you!" OoOoOh 27 years of "Drink milk it's good for your bones" and now 2018 doctors wanna tell me it's unhealthy. Everything is unhealthy. I'm sure in the near future someone will find a way to tell me broccoli is the devil too

Agreed. I got into an argument with a friend of mine who's a doctor with his "Humans shouldn't drink cow milk it's bad for you!" OoOoOh 27 years of "Drink milk it's good for your bones" and now 2018 doctors wanna tell me it's unhealthy. Everything is unhealthy. I'm sure in the near future someone will find a way to tell me broccoli is the devil too

Much of the original (and current) claims that cow milk is healthy for humans was funded by agriculture and dairy manufacturers, who clearly have a financial interest in the matter.

I don't know if cow milk is or isn't healthy for humans but at an intuitive level, consuming a liquid that is, for all intents and purposes, a potent concoction of hormones, lipids and proteins designed to make a baby calf growth as large as possible, as quickly as possible, doesn't seem terrible healthy to me. Or at the very least, doesn't seem necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back