PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer “The Destroyer” Returns

Why would you want a second development QB when you are committed heavily to the primary one and don't want to give the second one a chance even in meaningless games?

Hoyer makes more sense.

It would not surprise me if the NFL had in place some wonky rule limiting time staff can spend with players, but not with teammates.

Exactly, and not just that. McDaniels (and to a lesser extent, BB), being in charge of the offense, has to divide his time equally amongst the new players. He can't stay in the film room all the time holding Mac's hand and telling him what he did wrong. Hoyer will do that. I don't see Hoyer making it past the final cutdown.

It could be that Stidham is gone, it could be that they want Hoyer for a player coach, but there is also this possibility. If Mac beats Cam coming out of training camp, my guess is Bill will release Cam so he can try and hook up with another team or simply retire. Cam has already made some comments about not being sure if he will take a back up roll etc. If that is the case, then do you really want to go into the season with just Stidham and Mac? Do you want to have fans screaming for Cam to come in when Mac struggles?

It could be that Stidham is gone, it could be that they want Hoyer for a player coach, but there is also this possibility. If Mac beats Cam coming out of training camp, my guess is Bill will release Cam so he can try and hook up with another team or simply retire. Cam has already made some comments about not being sure if he will take a back up roll etc. If that is the case, then do you really want to go into the season with just Stidham and Mac? Do you want to have fans screaming for Cam to come in when Mac struggles?
If Mac plays like a 10 year vet in camp BB has some selling to do with Cam.

I hope this signing isn't an indication of Cam getting grumpy

Obviously this means that the Pats are going to trade Stidham now for Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, and Adam Seward!

It certainly doesn't look good for Stidham. Hoyer has always been an excellent teammate, he just sucks as a player. I think this is his transition position and he will eventually land on the coaching staff.

Does having Hoyer on the Practice Squad make any sense (decision to be made in late August)?

Does having Hoyer as a camp arm have any huge disadvantages, other than taking the place of a player that Belichick doesn't want on the team?
I think it's funky situation.

In theory he'll take away snaps from the #3 QB but Hoyer doesn't "need" the camp reps.

MY gut tells me BB wants to see how the QB depth chart plays out before Stid is sent packing or Cam decides he doesn't want to be here

I would’ve expected a random, hot Hollywood actress to call me and ask me on a date out of the blue before I expected Hoyer to return as a player..... surprised by this signing.
Maybe things are looking up for you then

Oy, this is not good news. Either Stidham still stinks, Mac Jones looks like he can't back up Cam Newton, or both!
Or maybe hoyer is just a camp body or Mac has impressed already that they are bringing in a veteran pocket passer and trading cam.

What is the going rate to lease a stable pony these days?

Worst QB room in the the league last year and Bill has brought the band back together for another US tour.

This makes the most sense to me. Mac beats out Cam, release Cam, letting him hook up with another team, and alleviate a divided locker room.

Worst QB room in the the league last year and Bill has brought the band back together for another US tour.
You mean beyond the 1st round selection of a QB?

Hoyer's a coach, a good guy to have in the QB room who knows the playbook better than anyone in there.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back