PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer “The Destroyer” Returns

Right after the draft I wrote how this was a "Josh" pick. Bill obviously ok'd the QB but Josh was a big part of making this happen. Especially if you believe he's taking over after Bill. Now the Hoyer move, which isn't surprising but more crumbs that point in that direction.
Jesus, you just gave DropKick a coronary.

Pats were always bringing another QB this offseason. In another Covid preseason 4 is the minimum.

Hoyer acted more as a personal assistant to Tom for some time already and had a lot of trust from both TB and McD.
So he can serve not only to Mac but Cam as well.

Last year Pats had 4 QBs - 3 on 53 and 1 on PS. All teams will cary at least 4 QBs again this year on their combined 53+PS rosters - with COVID protocol likely to remain. In addition: Pats carried 4 QBs on 53 when they drafted Tom.

That wont be necessary now since by current rules they can place anyone on PS and they can protect up to 4 players from being signed by other teams (so in theory they could even put Cam on PS). Here are the PS rules:

btw - These extraordinary PS rules could be one of the reasons why Pats went for vet min vets rather than bringing in UDFAs since they can safely stash some solid vets on PS and use weekly promotions to 53 if needed.

Having Hoyer on the team (rather than coaching staff) has therefore many benefits and zero downside. That is why this move was actually expected (from Pats perspective if Hoyer agreed). He can be used in both depth/extra hand player role and mentor/coaching assistant at the same time. It also gives Pats leverage regarding roster spots and trades. If they want to keep just 2QBs on 53 Hoyer is much better proposition for PS than Stidham who still believes he has some future in the league and still has some trade value esp. in another Covid yr. Hoyer is also better option for 3rd QB on the 53 if they should want to use him in in-game assistant/mentor role.

This move of course says absolutely nothing about who is starting week 1 (except that its probably not Stidham) :)
My thing is, why not find a competent one? He proved he can no longer function as an NFL QB and there has to be dozens of veteran QB's who could mentor Mac and can make it though a half of football without completely bungling away every chance to score. Also if Cam has been the great force in the locker room he has been out to be why isn't he mentoring Mac?

Didn't you forget where Hoyer was steaming hot garbage to Cams hot garbage
Agreed.

Still don’t want him. But Stiddy being garbage is true.

He’s camp fodder. He’s essentially in a competition with Stidham to earn the QB3 job and to help provide some additional guidance to Jones. No reason to look any further into it than that.

My thing is, why not find a competent one? He proved he can no longer function as an NFL QB and there has to be dozens of veteran QB's who could mentor Mac and can make it though a half of football without completely bungling away every chance to score. Also if Cam has been the great force in the locker room he has been out to be why isn't he mentoring Mac?
Just how many available, inexpensive qb's do you think are floating around out there ready to go to a team where they will be third string at best? Especially those that are good enough to actually be competent?

Just how many available, inexpensive qb's do you think are floating around out there ready to go to a team where they will be third string at best? Especially those that are good enough to actually be competent?

According to Skip: All he (Tebow) does is win

According to the record books: All Hoyer does is lose (0-17 streak)

Nick Mullins, Josh McCown, hell even take Jake Dolegala back. Hoyer cannot play football. Why is he on the football team?

That looks bad for Stiddy, I still had a little hope he could be somewhat of a decent backup cutting down the Ints.

On the other hand, in this quarterback room Hoyer is the closest thing we have as a player/coach. Knows the system inside out and not only this system but many others. They never really had this concern with Cam, it was more a “forget the system, what can we do with your skill set” situation. With Mac and in the hopes of having a long term situation at QB , there’s a need of taking care of this aspect.

This is harmless. He can help Mac develop and he's not going to play. I do wonder what the record for most stints with the Patriots is though....

This is harmless. He can help Mac develop and he's not going to play. I do wonder what the record for most stints with the Patriots is though....
I keep seeing this. Then why not hire him as a coach instead of taking up a roster spot for guy who won't play, whose only job is to mentor a rookie?

Nick Mullins, Josh McCown, hell even take Jake Dolegala back. Hoyer cannot play football. Why is he on the football team?
Well, for one thing, he's better than you think. For another, he's familiar with the system and can help Jones. For another, if Jones is ahead of where the Patriots thought he'd be, it's at least theoretically possible that Cam is not long for the team.

I keep seeing this. Then why not hire him as a coach instead of taking up a roster spot for guy who won't play, whose only job is to mentor a rookie?

Dozens of roster spots are taken up by guys who won't play.
Something tells me that this coaching staff can handle NFL roster management numbers. I don't know, just a hunch.

Dozens of roster spots are taken up by guys who won't play.
Something tells me that this coaching staff can handle NFL roster management numbers. I don't know, just a hunch.
What? We are not talking about some walk-on. We are talking about a QB who has been with us the second longest behind Brady over the past 20 years. He is not getting cut from the final 53.

What? We are not talking about some walk-on. We are talking about a QB who has been with us the second longest behind Brady over the past 20 years.
I wonder if Bill Belichick, the team's head coach, knows that, and has still chosen to hire the guy...

BTW, I like Hoyer as an influence on Jones. Would welcome him as a coach. I just don't understand bringing him back as a QB. Now we basically have the worst QB room in the league that we had last year + Jones.

Enough of all the happy talk. This is obviously borderline tragic. It is a portent, a harbinger, perhaps even an omen.
Clearly, after only a few days in rookie camp watching Jones, the coaching staff is panicked. This plus Hightower retiring, and they are throwing in the towel on the season already.
Jones to Denver for a 2022 3rd.
Wait and watch.

Why would you want a second development QB when you are committed heavily to the primary one and don't want to give the second one a chance even in meaningless games?

Hoyer makes more sense.

Bingo. Might not make the team but will help Mac learn THE offense in camp.

Hoyer isn't being brought back with the intention of playing. He's in instructor.

Forgot to add.....
Who doesn't want an "instructor" who has lost his last 17 starts to show him how to be a successful NFL QB
I bet MacSpieth is chomping at the bit to get in that QB room and let all that knowledge wash over him.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Pats QB room- Game tape on.......

Hoyer: Don't do what I did here. And especially don't do that
Cam: On this play, I called "QB sneak" at the line......and I ran right. Enough of that, lets go shopping for outfits.
Stids: Anyone seen my plane ticket to Cabo?
McDaniels: Why are you always on your phone during meetings, Jarred?
Stids: Wife keeps losing her selfie stick

When I was a youngster and getting golf lessons. Friends criticized the golf pro (teacher) as he was terrible at tournaments. My dad (teacher) straightened me out as being an instructor is no correlation to your action on the field.

Agreed.

He’s camp fodder. He’s essentially in a competition with Stidham to earn the QB3 job and to help provide some additional guidance to Jones. No reason to look any further into it than that.
Just a nitpick, I wouldn't call a competitor for the #3 QB position to be camp fodder. I would have said that about a random UDFA signings. There is at least some possibility of Hoyer making the 53 or the Practice Squad.

My theory behind the move as it has multiple potential outcomes

Hoyer knows THE offense better than any of the QBs in the room and can help/mentor all 3 QBs as the team does not have a QB coach. Bill and JMD see a ton of value in that

If Mac wins the job, Cam will bolt. That means BB will keep Stid and Hoyer.

If Cam wins the job, Mac is #2 and Stid will be cut thus Hoyer becomes the mentor for Mac

If Hoyer is cut and the 3 others stay, he may retire and stay on as an offensive assistant to mentor Mac and maybe Stid, hell maybe Cam as well.

They also could decide to cut Stid and Hoyer and bring in a better backup QB to slot into #2 in 2022 when Mac becomes #1. Hoyer may stay on as an assistant coach

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back