PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer “The Destroyer” Returns

My theory behind the move as it has multiple potential outcomes

Hoyer knows the offense better than any of the QBs in the room and can help/mentor all 3 QBs as the team does not have a QB coach

If Mac wins the job, Cam will bolt. That means BB will keep Stid and Hoyer.

If Cam wins the job, Mac is #2 and Stid will be cut thus Hoyer becomes the mentor for Mac

If Hoyer is cut and the 3 others stay, he may retire and stay on as an offensive assistant to mentor Mac and maybe Stid, hell maybe Cam as well.

They also could decide to cut Stid and Hoyer and bring in a better backup QB to slot into #2 in 2022 when Mac becomes #1. Hoyer may stay on as an assistant coach
The timing is interesting here. If this was about Hoyer mentoring the other guys, why wasn't he signed sooner? I think something happened in the rookie camp. Either Jones looks like a project and they want more depth behind Cam/Stid or maybe Jones impressed and they may indeed move on from Cam if he does not want to be the back up. But something happened this week to have this signing happen now IMO.

The timing is interesting here. If this was about Hoyer mentoring the other guys, why wasn't he signed sooner? I think something happened in the rookie camp. Either Jones looks like a project and they want more depth behind Cam/Stid or maybe Jones impressed and they may indeed move on from Cam if he does not want to be the back up. But something happened this week to have this signing happen now IMO.
If i'm picking one of your possibilities i'm going with the latter.

When I was a youngster and getting golf lessons. Friends criticized the golf pro (teacher) as he was terrible at tournaments. My dad (teacher) straightened me out as being an instructor is no correlation to your action on the field.
Some might argue Hoyer was more "instructor" than QB last season given his back of the bus status after the KC game.
These "arguers" might also point out Cam regressed during the course of the season....ie....... wouldn't or couldn't make calls at the LOS even after 16 weeks etc........ and the team completely gave up on Stids.

Of course I am not laying any blame on Hoyer, he was signed to play QB not be a stable pony........SAME AS THIS YEAR....hence the NFL salary.

For those who need to believe Hoyer will be Mac's stable pony, have at it

Some might argue Hoyer was more "instructor" than QB last season given his back of the bus status after the KC game.
These "arguers" might also point out Cam regressed during the course of the season....ie....... wouldn't or couldn't make calls at the LOS even after 16 weeks etc........ and the team completely gave up on Stids.

Of course I am not laying any blame on Hoyer, he was signed to play QB not be a stable pony........SAME AS THIS YEAR....hence the NFL salary.

For those who need to believe Hoyer will be Mac's stable pony, have at it
I agree. Hoyer was signed because someone else is going - Cam or Stid. That is my opinion.

I agree. Hoyer was signed because someone else is going - Cam or Stid. That is my opinion.
Has to be Cam. He wasn't re-signed here to be a backup. If he's beaten for his job by Mac then bye bye.

It's also possible Hoyer wasn't sure he was going to play this year at all, or was holding out some hope that there would be #2 job he could battle for on another team (which never materialized). This doesn't have to mean anything regarding the current QB's, and in fact I would be very surprised if what they saw in a rookie camp (positive or negative) would be enough to force them to sign another QB (with any expectation that said QB would actually play).

I think at this point, Hoyer is Jake Taylor in Major League 2. He's done as a player, and everyone knows it but him. So he'll try out, help the kids, try to earn himself a backup job, then get the sit down talk with Belichick that maybe it's time to transition to coaching (if he's interested in that).

If i'm picking one of your possibilities i'm going with the latter.
Me too. Release Cam, he catches on with someone else, and there's no divide in the locker room.

Camp Arm to help practice the rookie wideouts without exhausting the roster QBs

Haven't finished the thread yet, but Michael Lombardi was saying for some reason Hoyer craps the bed in the red zone.
I think he he was being kind and after he said that I could see it. He can't seem to finish.

Hoyer isn't getting any playing time - thankfully. But this is interesting.

It makes me wonder if the Mac Jones era is closer than we might think. Hoyer knows the system a lot better than Cam or Stidham and so what better a mentor would there be for Mac?

Pats aren't carrying 4 QBs. This makes me think the surprise cut might be CAM if he has a bad camp. We'll see.
Your 2nd sentence is what I think this is. Hoyer knows the ins/outs and intricacies of this offense. No matter what we do with Cam or Stiddy, having Hoyer there to help Mac is a bonus. Smart move by the Pats.

He can help as a scout team QB. Maybe Stidham isn’t able to do that as well. They could have brought him in as a camp body to push Stidham and/or mentor Jones

Is there some sort of financial handout for Hoyer to be signed as a player, later cut, and then brought back as a coach? You know, like BB looking out for one of "his guys"?

Just spitballing here...

Someone disagreed with my two declarations above
1) Starter....8 passing TDs in 15 starts (set season record for bounce passes)
Back up...... benched after 2 quarters then demoted to game day suit and tie immediately after
2nd back up.....could not supplant worst passer in NFL (3 picks in 1st two mop up appearances)

2) Isn't the band back together (plus a new roadie)
Yeah, damn Bill investing the #15 overall pick to try to fix a position. What could he have been thinking?

Is there some sort of financial handout for Hoyer to be signed as a player, later cut, and then brought back as a coach? You know, like BB looking out for one of "his guys"?

Just spitballing here...
There may be a small guarantee. Need to see the terms.

He keeps that cash no matter what regardless if he joins the coaching staff or not

Just spitballing here...
As a vested veteran, if he is on the roster week one, isn't his full salary guaranteed? Unless he has already taken termination pay previously at one of his other teams......

Agreed. Why does anyone think this has to do with Stidham or Cam? Last week was ROOKIE mini-camp, and this week Hoyer is signed. The reasons for something to happen are almost always the most obvious. BB and JM want Hoyer to help with Mac (Stidham and Newton were not in Foxboro last week ;)). If the Pats were going to bring Mac on slowly over 1 or 2 years, why bring in Hoyer this year? The more obvious reason is that BB and JM liked what they saw and heard for 3 or 4 days with Mac, and want another teacher on the field and in the film room. The "Mac guys" should be excited, this is a very positive sign for Mac, and has little to nothing to do with Cam or Stidham.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back