PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer “The Destroyer” Returns

Odd move, interesting timing. As others have said, either they loved what they saw from Mac in rookie camp and feel he's their guy this year - meaning Cam is probably cut/traded and maybe Stidham too - OR they realized Mac has a longer way to go than expected and they brought Hoyer on to help speed the acclimation up.

Worth considering Mac and Hoyer play one kind of style, and Cam plays a very different style. Stidham is closer to the former than the latter. IMO, if Mac is impressing and seizes the job at the start of camp, Cam will be let go quickly to give him time to find a new home.

Odd move, interesting timing. As others have said, either they loved what they saw from Mac in rookie camp and feel he's their guy this year - meaning Cam is probably cut/traded and maybe Stidham too - OR they realized Mac has a longer way to go than expected and they brought Hoyer on to help speed the acclimation up.

Worth considering Mac and Hoyer play one kind of style, and Cam plays a very different style. Stidham is closer to the former than the latter. IMO, if Mac is impressing and seizes the job at the start of camp, Cam will be let go quickly to give him time to find a new home.
I honestly don't think they would make that decision after 20 or so hours of evaluation where there only rookies running drills. This was probably something in the works since the draft and it was contract negotiation happening in the background

As I've already noted, Cam had 5 games last year where he put up a worse passer rating than Hoyer. So the notion that Hoyer made Cam look like Mahomes is crazy talk.

Belichick wanted Hoyer for one reason or another. Several reasons are possible. Time will likely tell us which it was.
Lol this is just mind boggling to me that Cam truly was even worse than I remember. Hoyer's Chiefs game sticks out in my mind as some of, if not, the most incompetent quarterbacking I have ever seen and the fact that Cam wasn't even able to muster that up on 5 separate occasions is painfully laughable.

After watching 16 games last year I never would have imagined all three of those QB's we had last year would all be back on the roster heading into 2021 training camp but here we are. As much as I am not sold on Mac I have put every last egg into the Mac Jones basket at this point.

There is absolutely nothing Mac could have done in phase 1-2 of OTAs to convince anyone of anything. He friggin didn't take single snap yet behind a OL because they can't do that just yet.

Once again people on this board see a signing and jump to some major conclusions when in reality nothing changed at all.

Hoyer was available and amendable to be a QB4 who helps out in side sessions and in the film room in exchange for some cash he would have not gotten anywhere else.

I get people are excited about a QB at #15 but this is silly.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing Mac could have done in phase 1-2 of OTAs to convince anyone of anything. He friggin didn't take single snap yet behind a OL because they can't do that just yet.

Once again people on this board see a signing and jump to some major conclusions when in reality nothing changed at all.

Hoyer was available and amendable to be a QB4 who helps out in side sessions and in the film room in exchange for wome cash he would have not gotten anywhere else.

I get people are excited about a QB at #15 but this is silly.
Certainly could be business as usual, but the timing was interesting is all I'm saying really. I can't say I'm not a little hyped though.

Certainly could be business as usual, but the timing was interesting is all I'm saying really. I can't say I'm not a little hyped though.

I get the hype and also can't wait for camp to see how much/little behind Mac is. Just saying OTAs is where you work on fundamentals and basic things.

No matter how good or bad Mac looked taking some snaps from coaches I think the Hoyer signing would have happened either way.

I get the hype and also can't wait for camp to see how much/little behind Mac is. Just saying OTAs is where you work on fundamentals and basic things.

No matter how good or bad Mac looked taking some snaps from coaches I think the Hoyer signing would have happened either way.

Yep...As soon as Mac was drafted, the Hoyer re-signing was practically a fait accompli, because Mac would need somebody in the room better-versed in the Pats' version of E-P than Cam & Stid...

Still feel kinda bad for Dolegala...Hope he's signed to the PS after TC...unless Stid is signed there first...

Yep...As soon as Mac was drafted, the Hoyer re-signing was practically a fait accompli, because Mac would need somebody in the room better-versed in the Pats' version of E-P than Cam & Stid...

Still feel kinda bad for Dolegala...Hope he's signed to the PS after TC...unless Stid is signed there first...
I don't see the PS in Stidham's future. I think some other team will take a flyer on him if he gets cut here.

They need a good looking bald guy in pads on the sideline holding a clipboard. Hoyer's your man.

This is 2020, nobody holds clipboards anymore.
True, tablets.

Mad Bill GIF

Brian Hoyer “The Destroyer”...​

Apparently, Hoyer thinks that he is making the roster. Otherwise, he would taken the Jets job.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back