PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer “The Destroyer” Returns

I don’t get it. He can’t play. He proved it last year and was inactive after that atrocious performance against the Chiefs.
This is for Mac. Hoyer has been done for a while now. They brought him in the help out Mac who I think will be starting week 1.

I can't remember the exact quote, but when asked if he thought they should play Stidham in the last two games to see what he's got, didn't McDaniels say something akin to, "I think we see what he's got in practice." I'm usually try not to read too deeply into mandatory interview answers, but I have a hard time interpreting that as anything good.
He didn’t even get to play in two totally meaningless games.

Given Cam was nursing some injuries, it would have been easy to throw him on IR for even the Jets game.

Yeah I think Cam's seat is getting hot right now. And rightfully so.

No way he's staying here to mentor Jones if he falls down the depth chart. That why Hoyer is here. Cam has a subpar camp and I really think there's a half decent chance he will be gone.

This is for Mac. Hoyer has been done for a while now. They brought him in the help out Mac who I think will be starting week 1.
I would argue (or opine) that this is for all the QB's, Hoyer probably knows the offense better than Cam/Stid. I think he's here for coaching, depth/camp body, potential 3rd string due to injury, trade or cut of Stid/Cam.

Yeah I think Cam's seat is getting hot right now. And rightfully so.

No way he's staying here to mentor Jones if he falls down the depth chart. That why Hoyer is here. Cam has a subpar camp and I really think there's a half decent chance he will be gone.

who would take him though? Wonder if it also means Stidham is a goner

When I first seen this I thought this is strictly for Mac. Seen a few posters thought the same

I would’ve expected a random, hot Hollywood actress to call me and ask me on a date out of the blue before I expected Hoyer to return as a player..... surprised by this signing.

Jalen Mills is taking jersey #2. Sorry Hoyer. Lol

I don’t get it. He can’t play. He proved it last year and was inactive after that atrocious performance against the Chiefs.
The anti-Hoyer stuff was wildly overblown last year. If Newton had done the same stuff, it would have been fodder for about 3 days, and then done, and Newton would not have lost his job.

So bring him in as a coaching assistant. Don’t waste a roster spot on him.

Right now (including the Pats) 20 of the 32 teams have at least 4 QB's on their 90 man roster (looks like SF might have SIX). 90 camp bodies is a lot to work with.

I expect to have 3 QB's for the first month or so, with Jones inactive. Then, hopefully, the #3 can be cut. Hoyer competes with Stidham as that #3 QB.

Clearly if Belichick is comfortable with Jones being the #2 for Game 1, we don't need a 3rd QB, except on the Practice Squad. Even than that PS QB could be Stidham or Hoyer.

I expect to have 3 QB's for the first month or so, with Jones inactive.

That's still 4 QB's on the roster though, even if they don't all dress on gameday. Not unheard of, but still a lot.... quite honestly, I think the last time the Patriots had 4 QB's on the (regular season) roster was 2000 when the #4 guy was..... well, you know.....

I’d be stunned if Stidham made this team. Maybe PS if he’s eligible.

I can’t get past Belichick not playing Stidham last two games and McDaniels comments on Stidham where he wouldn’t say more than confirming Stidham does in fact play quarterback for the New England Patriots.

Really not looking good for Stud the dud.

The anti-Hoyer stuff was wildly overblown last year. If Newton had done the same stuff, it would have been fodder for about 3 days, and then done, and Newton would not have lost his job.
I thought it was understated. He was absolutely trash in the KC game. Cam was bad but there was hope that he could may be do something. I felt nothing with Hoyer there. The coaches saw what I saw. He is dunsky as a player. He may be an excellent coach and maybe he is here to be a QB/Player coach.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back