PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer “The Destroyer” Returns

I expect to have 3 QB's for the first month or so, with Jones inactive. Then, hopefully, the #3 can be cut.

I don't see why you'd want that QB3 cut.

I thought it was understated. He was absolutely trash in the KC game. Cam was bad but there was hope that he could may be do something. I felt nothing with Hoyer there. The coaches saw what I saw. He is dunsky as a player. He may be an excellent coach and maybe he is here to be a QB/Player coach.
Hoyer's QB rating was 59.4 in that game, and he made two mistakes that one can imagine happening to players who've not played in a while. That doesn't excuse them, but mistakes do happen. We can all look back at Brady seemingly forgetting what down it was in a game last year, QBs take stupid sacks, (Remember Ryan in the Super Bowl), etc...

Meanwhile, Cam had 5 games with a lower passer rating

Hoyer's QB rating was 59.4 in that game, and he made two mistakes that one can imagine happening to players who've not played in a while. That doesn't excuse them, but mistakes do happen. We can all look back at Brady seemingly forgetting what down it was in a game last year, QBs take stupid sacks, (Remember Ryan in the Super Bowl), etc...

I just wish that I could get through a thread with my overreactions without reading a logical post and thinking, "oh yeah, or that".

I just wish that I could get through a thread with my overreactions without reading a logical post and thinking, "oh yeah, or that".
Just to show the oddity of it all, check this out, regular season only, and my apologies if I miscount:

Tua had zero games with a QB rating under that 59.4, and Darnold had 3*. Allen also had zero such games. Also, Brady has had a total of 2 such games in the 2014-2020 seasons. But Hoyer got his ass stapled to the bench, while Cam never lost his job and is currently called the team's starter.

*Both Darnold and Tua had fewer starts, but the data is the data.

It will be interesting to see if there is any bonus or guaranteed money in his contract.

Hoyer is the perfect candidate to be stashed as the 3rd emergency QB on the practice squad running the scout team, mentoring Jones and be available to be promoted to the game day roster a couple of times if needed. Bonus or guaranteed money might make it worth his while to stick around in that capacity beyond the $100,000 or so he can be paid as a practice squad member. It beats working for a living.

Btw. You’ve got to love internet tough guys. Brian Hoyer is good enough to earn a spot on an NFL roster for 12 seasons but to the internet tough guy “he sucks”. One thing Belichick has been consistent about over the years is admitting personnel mistakes by not keeping around players who can’t play. Jarrett Stidham is still on the roster. Bill still keeps him around but to the internet tough guy he’s “Stud the dud”. Save the snarky tough guy nonsense. None of these guys “suck” for goodness sake. Do you know the odds they had to beat just to get to a training camp much less a third camp or possibly a 13th season?

Just to show the oddity of it all, check this out, regular season only, and my apologies if I miscount:

Tua had zero games with a QB rating under that 59.4, and Darnold had 3*. Allen also had zero such games. Also, Brady has had a total of 2 such games in the 2014-2020 seasons. But Hoyer got his ass stapled to the bench, while Cam never lost his job and is currently called the team's starter.

Sometimes I spend too much time in the "As the world turns" side of things.

The anti-Hoyer stuff was wildly overblown last year. If Newton had done the same stuff, it would have been fodder for about 3 days, and then done, and Newton would not have lost his job.
Yeah, but Hoyer was touted as an experienced game manager, and when it counted, he choked. I can see him as a mentor/coach: Do as I say, not as I do.

It will be interesting to see if there is any bonus or guaranteed money in his contract.

Hoyer is the perfect candidate to be stashed as the 3rd emergency QB on the practice squad running the scout team, mentoring Jones and be available to be promoted to the game day roster a couple of times if needed. Bonus or guaranteed money might make it worth his while to stick around in that capacity beyond the $100,000 or so he can be paid as a practice squad member. It beats working for a living.

Btw. You’ve got to love internet tough guys. Brian Hoyer is good enough to earn a spot on an NFL roster for 12 seasons but to the internet tough guy “he sucks”. One thing Belichick has been consistent about over the years is admitting personnel mistakes by not keeping around players who can’t play. Jarrett Stidham is still on the roster. Bill still keeps him around but to the internet tough guy he’s “Stud the dud”. Save the snarky tough guy nonsense. None of these guys “suck” for goodness sake. Do you know the odds they had to beat just to get to a training camp much less a third camp or possibly a 13th season?

I was totally joking. But I'll wear the cone of shame.

cone-of-shame-300x175.gif

So bring him in as a coaching assistant. Don’t waste a roster spot on him.
I've been saying this for over a year now. That's where his value is, not on the field. I could see him as a long shot, taking Stidham's spot to mentor Jones. We're not keeping 4 QB's after drafting one with the 15th overall pick though.

If both were babies, I will throw them out with the bath water.

Don't know if BB has gotten the woke bug or not but Cam just can't be the starter. He will hold this offense back and slow their growth. He is a very limited QB. I need to go watch his games and see if he ever could throw with anticipation. He tried it here and they were all a disaster.
The Hoyer signing I am not happy about but it means either Stid or Cam is on the hot seat. I like Stid. He has not had a decent chance. Cam used up all his nine lives last year.

duplicate

How comfortable would you guys be with Mac and Hoyer going into the season as 1&2?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back