PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: Pats were counting on J. Taylor joining them

Status
Not open for further replies.
All indications were that Taylor was coming to New England and that might have cooled the Pats on either acquiring another OLB in free agency, via trade, or higher in the draft.

What indications? I've been pretty damn sure the whole time he was going back to Miami.

Like at the end of the Super Bowl when he miscalculated how much time was left.
Or like at the end of the Super Bowl when he went for it on 4th and 13.

That was Josh McDaniels' brilliance right there.

Need 40 yards to for a tying FG, we have all 3 timeouts, and we piss the game away with 4 straight passing bombs.

Belichick doesn't call the plays. It was Charlie Weiss who called our game-winning Superbowl drives from 01-04, not Bill.

Belichick gives his coordinators tons of autonomy. BB is a defensive expert and he still let Mangini f*ck up the defense for most of 2005.

Last edited:
It's absolutely possible that they were counting on Taylor and that he messed up their plans by changing his mind. Not every outcome is part of BB's "grand plan."

But...I don't think their draft approach would have been affected either way. You don't draft an OLB conversion project expecting day 1 impact, and conversely you don't not draft a developmental project because you've penciled in a vet for a final season's swan song.

I think 'counting on' is the point of contention.
I could accept a report that said they expected he would come here and were surprised that he didn't.
But 'counting on' would mean the eschewed other moves because they relied on the belief that Taylor would be here.
Its not that this is impossible, but everything I've ever seen BB do is inconsistent with it. If anything he overstocks a position rather than put all his hope on one guy.

I could accept a report that said they expected he would come here and were surprised that he didn't.
But 'counting on' would mean the eschewed other moves because they relied on the belief that Taylor would be here.
Its not that this is impossible, but everything I've ever seen BB do is inconsistent with it. If anything he overstocks a position rather than put all his hope on one guy.

exactly right...not BBs style

That was Josh McDaniels' brilliance right there.

Need 40 yards to for a tying FG, we have all 3 timeouts, and we piss the game away with 4 straight passing bombs.

Belichick doesn't call the plays. It was Charlie Weiss who called our game-winning Superbowl drives from 01-04, not Bill.

Belichick gives his coordinators tons of autonomy. BB is a defensive expert and he still let Mangini f*ck up the defense for most of 2005.

The epic 4th quarter drive Brady & Moss led to take the 14-10 lead was called by Josh McD. If it weren't for one of the luckiest plays in the history of the Super Bowl, McD goes down as calling a classic drive that overcame an unrelenting Giants defense in the final quarter, in order to go 19-0. I'm not sure how the fact that a desperation heave connected b/c it was trapped off someone's helmet suddenly means McD sucks.

And he didn't call 4 straight bombs on the very last drive. After Brady was sacked on 2nd down, they had no chance but to throw up some heaves, and the 3rd down play was less than an inch from connecting and turning into a game winning TD.

The flow of SB42 was similar to all the other SBs. Pats give up the lead in the 4th, Pats re-take the lead with a clutch drive. The only difference was, there was too much time left on the clock after that clutch drive, and they gave up the lead again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the fact that a desperation heave connected b/c it was trapped off someone's helmet suddenly means McD sucks.

Why do you keep bringing up the helmet catch? It has NOTHING to do with McDaniels' "brilliant" play calls to end the game with 4 straight hail mary's!!

The Carolina, Philly, and Rams superbowls also had back and forth scoring exchanges, but in all three Weiss called the right plays to win the game after the defense failed them.

What indications? I've been pretty damn sure the whole time he was going back to Miami.

Other than all the reports in all the papers that stated that the deal between Taylor and the Pats was basically a done deal or most likely will be done, I guess nothing.

Report: Jason Taylor prefers Pats - Projo Pats Blog
Signs point to Jason Taylor landing in New England | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal
Report: 70 to 80% chance Jason Taylor will sign with the Patriots
Pats' Kraft open to idea of adding Taylor - Around the NFL - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The only difference was, there was too much time left on the clock after that clutch drive, and they gave up the lead again.

The only difference was, we had all 3 timeouts, plenty of time on the clock, and needed only 40 yards to tie, and that last drive was a complete EMBARRASSMENT.

The epic 4th quarter drive Brady & Moss led to take the 14-10 lead was called by Josh McD. If it weren't for one of the luckiest plays in the history of the Super Bowl, McD goes down as calling a classic drive that overcame an unrelenting Giants defense in the final quarter, in order to go 19-0. I'm not sure how the fact that a desperation heave connected b/c it was trapped off someone's helmet suddenly means McD sucks.

And he didn't call 4 straight bombs on the very last drive. After Brady was sacked on 2nd down, they had no chance but to throw up some heaves, and the 3rd down play was less than an inch from connecting and turning into a game winning TD.

The flow of SB42 was similar to all the other SBs. Pats give up the lead in the 4th, Pats re-take the lead with a clutch drive. The only difference was, there was too much time left on the clock after that clutch drive, and they gave up the lead again.

Please don't humor maverick by responding to his ridiculous rantings about McDaniels. You are allowing him to hijack yet another thread with the same old tired BS. Put him on ignore like the rest of us and the only time you will have to see his moronic posts is when people respond to his BS.

Just either ignore or agree with the guy and maybe he will go away. We have argued the last drive of the Super Bowl with him for almost two years now. It is time to let it die.

He repeatedly said that playing in the division for anyone other than miami would be uncomfortable. He didn't want to go to offseason workouts.

Him going to new england was just a better story.

Why do you keep bringing up the helmet catch? It has NOTHING to do with McDaniels' "brilliant" play calls to end the game with 4 straight hail mary's!!

Last I checked, if BB strongly disagreed with either Weis' or McDaniels' play-calling, he could have overruled them.

He didn't.

Please try to explain that away.

The Carolina, Philly, and Rams superbowls also had back and forth scoring exchanges, but in all three Weiss called the right plays to win the game after the defense failed them.

Again, he didn't call 4 straight hail mary's to end the game. I remember it all too damn well:

First down was an incomplete pass over the middle to Gaffney. At that point the game was damn near over. Second down, Brady was sacked before he had a chance to drop back. At that point, the game was over. Third down, Brady threw a near-perfect bomb to Moss, and for a split second, it seemed like they had a chance. Fourth down, they were F'd.

Secondly, the point was McDaniels DID call the right plays to win that SB game, b/c if it weren't for the helmet catch, they win. As soon as Brady was sacked on 2nd down of that final drive, the game was, for all intents and purposes, over, and McD had no choice but to call bombs on the next two plays.

Last edited:
The only difference was, we had all 3 timeouts, plenty of time on the clock, and needed only 40 yards to tie, and that last drive was a complete EMBARRASSMENT.

Again, that's all well and good - but after Brady was sacked on 2nd down, the game was finished. Neither of those first two plays were bombs, so your point is valid.

He repeatedly said that playing in the division for anyone other than miami would be uncomfortable. He didn't want to go to offseason workouts.

Him going to new england was just a better story.

He said about being unconfortable playing on any other AFC East once. I firmly believe he did show a lot of interest in the Pats, but he did it to get Miami to resign him rather than let him go to New England and make them pay for it. I firmly believe that he did negotiate with the Pats and let it known he was more likely going to sign here but was hoping that it would get Miami to make a move to get him.

Last I checked, if BB strongly disagreed with either Weis' or McDaniels' play-calling, he could have overruled them.

He didn't.

Oh you didn't!
th_PullingMyHairOut.gif
You've just given 'dog poo on my shoe' Jr. incentive for another series of endless tirades dedicated to the principle of volume overcomes dialogue! Bad 77! No cookie.
groan.gif

V Redd is my binky and TC suprise this year..

I concur on Redd. Bigger and faster than the other three and more NFL game experience than Crable.
DW Toys

Oh you didn't!
th_PullingMyHairOut.gif
You've just given 'dog poo on my shoe' Jr. incentive for another series of endless tirades dedicated to the principle of volume overcomes dialogue! Bad 77! No cookie.
groan.gif
Once in every generation a post is made that changes everything,this is that post.

He didn't.

I'll explain it by pointing to Eric Mangini's horrible 2005 season as Pats defensive coordinator. He sucked all year, and even though Belichick is a defensive expert, he basically let Mangini play call and coach almost that entire season before stepping in, despite horrible results all year.

This isn't the only example. Belichick has a history of giving his coordinators tons of autonomy, which is why the offense and defense has looked so different under each coordinator.

Exactly, BB's philosophy has been to get enough talented people on the field at a position so that there is competition. When in his history has he ever simply expected a free agent to sign and not done other moves? I can't think of an instance - but there are plenty of examples of him getting 2 or 3 bodies for 1 position (like CB this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots