PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: Pats were counting on J. Taylor joining them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur on Redd. Bigger and faster than the other three and more NFL game experience than Crable.
DW Toys

Like everyone whose ever played in the NFL?:confused:

Me, I'd take the 2001 D performance. How 'spectacular' were Phifer at OLB and O.T.I.S. at CB? I think 2009 can be similar. Solid.

I'd take half of their performance, considering they played only 3 linebackers. Prime Bruschi, Vrabel, Phifer, Bryan Cox, Ted Johnson (5 games) with Willie available from DE, since we now play 3-4.

lol. Yeah, I'd take it.

Hell, I'd take Marty Moore.

Last edited:
Me, I'd take the 2001 D performance. How 'spectacular' were Phifer at OLB and O.T.I.S. at CB? I think 2009 can be similar. Solid.

Phifer was pretty damned good, by the way. He had some great years with the Rams was the 31st overall pick and led all linebackers in tackles that year I believe. He didn't decline until a couple years later and at 33 might start at ilb or olb on this team.

Unfortunately he wasn't a great pass rusher, which is what we need, but who is?

Last edited:
Exactly, BB's philosophy has been to get enough talented people on the field at a position so that there is competition. When in his history has he ever simply expected a free agent to sign and not done other moves? I can't think of an instance - but there are plenty of examples of him getting 2 or 3 bodies for 1 position (like CB this year).

Then where are the other 2 or 3 bodies for OLB? And even if you include Tubby Banta-Cain't, then you're still 1 or 2 bodies short.

Our OLBs have potential, all right - to be one of the worst at their position in football. I was in favor of trading Vrabel, because he was no longer worth his contract, but I was also expecting either a solid vet and/or a solid draft pick (or 2) to replace him. Instead, I get...nothing.

Breer's story comes as no surprise to me; in fact, I would be disappointed if it weren't true. Even Emperor Bill must realize that the OLBs, as currently constituted, simply will NOT cut the mustard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes