PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady Last 22 Playoff games 27 INTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

deroc5050

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I didn't actually look this up myself but that is Ryan Fitzpatrick like. So Basically Brady is throwing 1.2 picks per playoff game. Is it the pressure? Just playing against better teams? Its so over the top compared to regular season it almost doesn't make sense.

I noticed the same thing in another thread when I looked at his last 16 playoff games (starting with that game we played February 08, I can't remember who won). 33 TD, 18 INT, 9 W, 7 L. Dunno what to make of it. We do know that this time period includes some (or all) of his worst ever playoff games: 09/12 vs BAL, 10 vs NYJ.

I didn't actually look this up myself but that is Ryan Fitzpatrick like. So Basically Brady is throwing 1.2 picks per playoff game. Is it the pressure? Just playing against better teams? Its so over the top compared to regular season it almost doesn't make sense.
Better teams, over aggressiveness. I notice he gets like that toward the end of the year, not neccissarily in the playoffs. He takes more risks I feel like. That's just me

Last few years it seems like he's prone for one incredibly bad interception per playoff game (threw one bad one in all 3 playoff games in the SB 49 run).

In order for the Pats to have any chance of winning, Brady cannot allow even ONE
interception. There is no way that the Pats lose the turnover battle and win the game.

I agree with your second point. The first point is just wrong. In the last 5 playoff games where Brady has thrown at least 1 INT, we've won 4 of them. He threw at least 1 in every playoff game during the 2014 Super Bowl run.

Last year's Broncos game was the one we lost, and depending on an XP or a 2-point conversion, could have potentially pulled it out so it wasn't like we got blown out because of it.

So we clearly have a chance at winning, even if he throws an INT.

For all the talk about how the team "wasted" some of his prime years, they've never lost a playoff game where he played great. They have won plenty where he's stunk.

Go look at Rodgers against ARI in 09 or Brees against SF in 11.

In order for the Pats to have any chance of winning, Brady cannot allow even ONE
interception. There is no way that the Pats lose the turnover battle and win the game.
turnovers are not just INTs...Brady can certainly throw a pick and the Pats still win...

For all the talk about how the team "wasted" some of his prime years, they've never lost a playoff game where he played great. They have won plenty where he's stunk.

Of course, that assertion ignores the "why" about those games where he supposedly stunk, and puts the rating of "stunk" exclusively in your purview, but we'll just ignore that, right?

Rodgers lost in 2009 because he chocked and fumbled at his team's own 17 yard line. A fumble is as bad as an interception.

Let's take a look at Brady's last few games:

Using Weighted DVOA :

Texans - ranked #8 Def - 2 TD's / 2 INT's

Denver - ranked #1 Def - 4 TD's /2 INT's (Crappy O line performance)
KC - ranked #2 Def - 2 TD's / 0 INT's

Seattle - ranked #1 Def - 4 TD's / 2 INT's (Fantastic game)
IND - ranked #11 Def - 3 TD's / 1 INT (Bye week)
Balt - ranked #12 Def - 3 TD's / 1 INT (Fantastic game. Two 14 point comebacks with an Edelman TD pass)

Denver - ranked #10 Def - 1 TD / 0 INT
IND - ranked #19 Def - 0 TD / 0 INT

Balt - Ranked #22 Def - 1 TD / 2 INT's
Texans - Ranked #5 Def - 3 TD's / 0 INT's

Injuries, O line performance, bad decisions and facing top ranked D's will never show up in the stats.

Most QBs do worse in the playoffs. Facing better teams and better Ds. Brady has rarely faced easy teams in the playoffs defensively. That certainly didn't help. Being outdoors in the winter certainly didn't help.

Brady in the playoffs throws a pick every 40.7 passes (30 ints on 1221 passes)

In the regular season he throws a pick every 54.1 passes (152 ints on 8224 attempts)

1 pick every 40.7 passes means in 500 passes (lets call that a season) you throw 12 ints. Not amazing but not horrible when you only play good teams and usually in bad conditions all year.

People need to remember just how much Brady throws the ball. More than any other playoff QB. With that will come inflated interception numbers.

Rodges in his playoff career has passed the ball 550 times and has 9 interceptions. While lower than Brady it is not light years better on a per pass basis.

He threw two in SB 49 and he played great.

Of course, that assertion ignores the "why" about those games where he supposedly stunk, and puts the rating of "stunk" exclusively in your purview, but we'll just ignore that, right?

What, because he played good defenses? So did Brees in 2011. He threw for 463 yards, 4 touchdowns, and scored 32 points. And the 49ers were filthy that year. Better than anyone Brady faced except Denver last year (Seattle was too injured).

06 SD: 3 INT, 57.6 rating
07 SD: 3 INT, 66.4 rating
11 BAL: 2 INT, 57.5 rating
16 HOU: 2 INT, 68.6 rating

All wins for Brady. And that's not even counting the 70-80 rating games he won. But I guess he's the only one who plays good D's, right?

The only way to assess this is to know the historical average of INT's per playoff game for all quarterbacks

The playoffs aren't comparable to regular season games

What, because he played good defenses? So did Brees in 2011. He threw for 463 yards, 4 touchdowns, and scored 32 points. And the 49ers were filthy that year. Better than anyone Brady faced except Denver last year (Seattle was too injured).

06 SD: 3 INT, 57.6 rating
07 SD: 3 INT, 66.4 rating
11 BAL: 2 INT, 57.5 rating
16 HOU: 2 INT, 68.6 rating

All wins for Brady. And that's not even counting the 70-80 rating games he won. But I guess he's the only one who plays good D's, right?

Brady didn't suck in last year's AFCCG, yet they lost. Brady didn't suck in the 2007 Super Bowl, yet they lost. Brady didn't suck in the 2011 Super Bowl, yet they lost.

That's 3 without really even digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back