PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then, that’s a relief. I just saw quotes that said “it is what it is, whoever said that” or something, which didn’t sound like a happy quote.
And it’s not saying he is unhappy either.

And it’s not saying he is unhappy either.

You’re right. Tom is super happy to not get a guaranteed mutiyear contract that keeps him a Patriot until retirement at a reasonable price.

He is super happy he’ll have to face the uncertainty of FA

Ken,

You know this- you have been through the dark days of the early 90's. The days of Billy Sullivan, metal bleachers, Rod Rust, and **** MacPherson running onto the field with a rolled up paper in his fist looking as if he knew what he was doing.

We've enjoyed an unprecedented streak of domination and success. Twenty years, and during the salary cap era, just unheard of.

It's going to end sooner than later.

One season at a time, one game at a time is the only way to go at this point; just like tasting one last cognac, one last Havana cigar, one last steak dinner. For me if we're competitive this season, and Brady plays 16 plus games, that's just pure icing on the cake.

They can never take away these two decades. We'll always have that. We won.

To a kid from the Vataha/Plunkett Patriots, my cup runneth over.

Looking forward to the next several decades, hoping for success - - but these 20 years are a keepsake forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: PP2
Was Parker dropped on his head as an infant? He's a brawler with a bad case of derangement.

You’re right. Tom is super happy to not get a guaranteed mutiyear contract that keeps him a Patriot until retirement at a reasonable price.

If Kraft and Belichick had given a 42 year old QB a guaranteed 3 year contract at the money involved here they would have been drawn and quartered by many of the very same people who are eviscerating them for not having done so. If Tom Brady proves he can play successfully for this year (and I'm one of those who believes he can) there won't be any uncertainty. He'll be free to go wherever the f### he wants, including here, and likely name his price.

Ken,

You know this- you have been through the dark days of the early 90's. The days of Billy Sullivan, metal bleachers, Rod Rust, and **** MacPherson running onto the field with a rolled up paper in his fist looking as if he knew what he was doing.

We've enjoyed an unprecedented streak of domination and success. Twenty years, and during the salary cap era, just unheard of.

It's going to end sooner than later.

One season at a time, one game at a time is the only way to go at this point; just like tasting one last cognac, one last Havana cigar, one last steak dinner. For me if we're competitive this season, and Brady plays 16 plus games, that's just pure icing on the cake.
I remember periods that could be call "dark days" in the 60's, 70's and 80's as well. I have seen Billy Sullivan sabotage the 2nd best HC we ever had in Chuck Fairbanks and force him out of town. Just one of the many ruinous things he did. I've seen James Ortwein get the trucks ready to move the team to St. Louis. Even 20 years of obscene success doesn't dull those hard memories.,,,much. ;)

But while the unprecedented success we've had over that time can't last forever, I think the foundations of this dynasty has been built so well that I'm guessing that only the LEVEL of success will diminish. The culture is embedded too strongly for it to just come to a sudden end. Our future successes will be more like a "normal" elite franchise, say just one championship a decade along with 8 winning seasons and some playoff wins. It might seem horrible in comparison, but it would be 31 other fan bases dream scenario. ;)

Insider tells me that Belichick wanted to cut Brady, but Kraft stepped in at the last minute and unplugged the fax machine just as Belichick was about to notify the league. Belichick was furious and told Kraft that if he’s “cooking the meal” he should be able to “shop for the groceries.” They ultimately agreed to the fake extension knowing this is the last year, though Belichick has threatened to bench Brady should they make the Super Bowl in order to make a point.

The reason that Caserio is planning to leave is because Brady forced the Garoppolo trade, which made Caserio furious. Belichick, angry that his authority was being challenged, told Caserio that while Brady is expendable and there were better options at #199 in 2000, Caserio will never make another personnel decision in New England.

The Patriots expect next season to unleash the NFL’s most daring plan ever: a quarterback-less offense. With the cap savings from the that position, the Patriots can better exploit opponents weaknesses. This concept was the reason Josh McDaniels backed out of the Colts deal, though it’s also why Gronk retired (but he’s coming back in 2021).

-Charlie Casserly

Last edited:
My understanding is that

1) the contract can NOT be renegotiated during the 2019 season, unless the new cap is low than the old 2019 cap. I don't think that this can happen.

2) Brady's 2020 contract voids on the last day of the 2019 season at which time Brady is a free agent, with no restrictions, including no franchise or transition.

3) If the 2020 contract is re-signed, then that contract could be renegotiated during the 2020 season.
======

1 is NOT correct.

From Article 12, Section 8 of the CBA: “The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player’s most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract, however, may take place at any time.”
As long as Brady’s new 2020 cap number is less than $36.75 million a restructure/extension would be permissible anytime in 2020. (credit: Miguel)

1 is NOT correct.

From Article 12, Section 8 of the CBA: “The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player’s most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract, however, may take place at any time.”
As long as Brady’s new 2020 cap number is less than $36.75 million a restructure/extension would be permissible anytime in 2020. (credit: Miguel)
That’s a key fact and a very important piece of the overall puzzle. If he HAD to hit free agency first, that would change the outlook a bit. I just couldn’t understand why Belichick would put the team in that type of situation. It didn’t make sense to me.

Thanks for this post and also to Miguel for helping to set the record straight.

He's married to her. She does a voice in the matter. She's on public record complaining several times that she is concerned for his health.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but you have a very funny way of trying to make your point. You’re trying to argue she has a voice in the matter and to support your argument, you give us an example of something we know Gisele has wanted for years (Tom to retire) - which is something he has not given her.

They have a deal. He signed it.

It sounds unhappy to me, but I’d be delighted if he’s not.
This would only be the 1,456th time that “reports” of people’s feelings inside Foxboro are wrong.

While anecdotal evidence is piling up quickly: Conn/NJ house hunting, NYC school shopping, MA mansion listing, signing with William Morris Endeavor agency in NYC.....all pointing to a new phase in Brady's world.....
The fact that Brady was very unBrady-like when questioned about his newly signed contract has me puzzled. Missing was his typical sugary-sweet positivity. Instead I saw annoyance.
If Tom is truly walking away after this season, why harp about the cold realities of NFL contracts and everyone's "one year" existence. Why show hints of frustration..."It is what it is"
Who prepares for a fabulous retirement phase by publicly conveying annoyance?

Regarding the anecdotal evidence listed above...

McMansion prices have collapsed in the tri-state area and wealthy speculators might see obtainable undervalued assets . If the new property tax deduction laws get repealed after the next election cycle, who knows? Stabilization and then a reversal? Maybe a little but these high tax states have so many issues besides minimal property tax deductions.

Real estate wise, Boston is booming now but based on US trends, maybe certain speculators have decided the Boston market has peaked. The price seems high but "location location location" is everything in real estate and this McMansion is in a distinct highly sought location with highly sought amenities including the exclusivity of The Country Club.

Can't wrap my head around the..."Move to S. Conn/NJ but send kids to Manhattan day schools." Guess they will commute with the suits on the Path train?
100% unlikely
How old is Jack? Is it time for him to transition from a lower school to middle school, or middle school to high school? Seems a reasonable explanation why Brady was visiting Manhattan day schools for his Manhattan-living son.
I also find it slightly hard to imagine his other kids, raised in suburbia, will move into Manhattan now. Maybe....which could mean...
The house shopping outside NYC.......a weekender place?

The timing of the Brookline house listing a day after his contract details hit the airwaves has to have meaning..right?....or was it just an unavoidable coincidence.....or an accident.
The listing was ready, pictures and descriptions all neatly packaged. And the decision gets made to add fuel to our Pats fans meltdown by releasing the listing so soon after he signed his one year deal? And then the listing gets altered a few hours later?
I place this bit of anecdotal evidence in the gamesmanship column.

In the end, my sincerest belief is that Brady will perform and NE will continue to resign him....just one year at a time.

In the meantime.....this Brady situation is solid gold for us sarcastic types and I just won't be able to contain my urges to offer further stupidity. I am what I am.

Last edited:
I think therapy and/or medication is/are in order for some fans due to this matter. And, I'm serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back