PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, a restructure or extension would be possible anytime IN the 2o2o contract year, THAT IS, if there were a contract. The contract voids in early March 2020.

The open question is what extensions are possible before Brady becomes a free agent in March.

1 is NOT correct.

From Article 12, Section 8 of the CBA: “The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player’s most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract, however, may take place at any time.”
As long as Brady’s new 2020 cap number is less than $36.75 million a restructure/extension would be permissible anytime in 2020. (credit: Miguel)

The team did give Brady a long-term deal that he felt he could sign. At this point, I don't think that he would have reason to reconsider a deal from the patriots before hearing from other teams. [Sure, there could be a deal that he couldn't refuse, but that is NOT something that the patriots would be likely to offer]

That would be correct, but, between now and the March 16, the first of three days that teams can talk with players who will become UFAs, the two sides can negotiate this deal any way they want as long as the cap number does not excess the parameters of this $23-30-32M deal. Brady got his raise for 2019 and an offer of longer than a one-year extension.

I think the key dates to focus on are March 16-18, 2020 when other teams can contact Brady and his agent to discuss interest. Before that the Patriots can renegotiate the current deal i.e., guarantee money and make it an enforceable extension, or wait to see if Brady gets competing offers at numbers north of $30 million and $32 million. So much of that depends on his health and production, and whether the suitor has the kind of offensive line and help to give Brady confidence.

I think both sides got basically what they wanted but failed to reach agreement on how to structure 20 and 21. The Patriots have offered $62 million over those two future years. What is guaranteed versus what is incentivized seems to be the sticking point. Neither side knows what decent incentives look like for a 43-year-old QB It's never been done before.

If some team comes along with $63 million fully guaranteed in that March 16-18 window, Bob Kraft will have some thinking to do. But only a desperate team would do that, and desperate teams are unlikely to have that kind of cap room which could turn it all into dead money if Brady gets hurt. The other piece of this is what does contract insurance cost for a guy like Brady? The underwriter will have an unprecedented calculation of risk and premium.

Folks way that Brady is happy with the current deal.

Brady himself said it best, "it is what it is".

The team had no acceptable deal to offer with guaranteed 2020 money. The patriots chose free agency for Brady instead.

ISN'T SOME OF THIS SEMANTICS

The bottom line is that Brady is a free agency in March, unless the team gives him so much that he won't consider listening to offers from other teams. And, like anyone else, he can start listening in the legal tampering period in the last couple of days of the 2019 season. This is much, much different than deciding in August.

1) Obviously, if Brady and the patriots agree on a new contract, they can execute it on the day after this season ends, and Brady becomes a free agent. Such a contract could be structured in lots of ways. The only requirement is that there will be $14M or so from the old contract in the contract that starts in 2020, after the current contract voids.

2) There is some dispute with regard to whether a new contract can be signed and executed before the end of the 2019 contract year. I don't see how that matters much. If the parties want to make such an agreement, it will be agreed to and executed; when doesn't matter much.

3) The team has exactly zero leverage. They could make the empty threat that an offer made won't be there if Brady waits until free agency.

4) Brady can see offers from other teams in the legal tampering period, or wait, just like any other player. except that he cannot be franchised or transitioned.
=====
Several have posted that the situation is no different than this year. Well, in this year, the decision was made in the month before the season starts. Next year, it must be made in March, before free agency starts; otherwise Brady will be free to listen to offers from everyone.

Look, the Patriots did this in the context of putting together a roster for 2019 with some very competitive position groups and a couple of holes at receiver, TE and LT. This deal locks in Brady at $23 for this year and sets up 20 and 21 while they sift through the rest of the players.

The Patriots' leverage is that they can decide to walk away, too. If Brady and Don Yee get little or no interest above the $30-32M for 20 and 21 from a team that makes sense for Tom Brady, they'll get the hometown premium in this case at or near the level in this contract.

I think they'll sort out the guaranteed, bonus and incentive money in Brady's promised $62 million for 20 and 21 at some point during the season.

I doubt it, as long as BB is here we have nothing to worry about, what is really going to be insufferable is the transition from the BB Era imo.

Belchick hasn't done **** without Brady under center. In his head coaching history, he's only made the playoffs once without Brady, and only missed them once with Brady. He's also had losing seasons in 4 of his 6 seasons without Brady as his main starting QB, and never had a losing season with Brady as his main starting QB.

Maybe things will be different this time, and BB will thrive without Brady, but to say that you "doubt it" is you pretty much believing that history doesn't count.

This is from a couple days ago before the news of Brady’s house going up for sale and other reports alluding to Brady’s dissatisfaction over the whole situation.
Before reports of the house for sale, yes, not before the other reports alluding to Brady's dissatisfaction. Giardi and Curran were already battling it out before this was posted.

Curren's most recent take sounds reasonable and plausible enough to me. Brady wants to be here and wants a long-term deal, but the Pats weren't willing to give him a long-term deal. They are willing to give him a raise in the short term to make things fair. Brady says fine, but I want to have some control of the situation and not have the Patriots be in total control -- so no franchise tag, and voidable years expiring before free agency begins so that if we can't come to an agreement I have options and I'm not dealing with my contract over the summertime again. Seems reasonable to me.

That would be correct, but, between now and the March 16, the first of three days that teams can talk with players who will become UFAs, the two sides can negotiate this deal any way they want as long as the cap number does not excess the parameters of this $23-30-32M deal. Brady got his raise for 2019 and an offer of longer than a one-year extension.

I think the key dates to focus on are March 16-18, 2020 when other teams can contact Brady and his agent to discuss interest. Before that the Patriots can renegotiate the current deal i.e., guarantee money and make it an enforceable extension, or wait to see if Brady gets competing offers at numbers north of $30 million and $32 million. So much of that depends on his health and production, and whether the suitor has the kind of offensive line and help to give Brady confidence.

I think both sides got basically what they wanted but failed to reach agreement on how to structure 20 and 21. The Patriots have offered $62 million over those two future years. What is guaranteed versus what is incentivized seems to be the sticking point. Neither side knows what decent incentives look like for a 43-year-old QB It's never been done before.

If some team comes along with $63 million fully guaranteed in that March 16-18 window, Bob Kraft will have some thinking to do. But only a desperate team would do that, and desperate teams are unlikely to have that kind of cap room which could turn it all into dead money if Brady gets hurt. The other piece of this is what does contract insurance cost for a guy like Brady? The underwriter will have an unprecedented calculation of risk and premium.
There has to be a way that they can also just say “we good” and let the contract not void.
Which really makes it no different than any other non guaranteed contract except that Brady has the right to say no I want to leave, which isn’t going to happen.
I think this is a nonissue that of course the media is trying to turn into an issue.

Belchick hasn't done **** without Brady under center. In his head coaching history, he's only made the playoffs once without Brady, and only missed them once with Brady. He's also had losing seasons in 4 of his 6 seasons without Brady as his main starting QB, and never had a losing season with Brady as his main starting QB.

Maybe things will be different this time, and BB will thrive without Brady, but to say that you "doubt it" is you pretty much believing that history doesn't count.
History which consists of rebuilding a moribund franchise only to have the rug pulled pout from under him by an owner isn’t something to put very much belief in any way.

Before reports of the house for sale, yes, not before the other reports alluding to Brady's dissatisfaction. Giardi and Curran were already battling it out before this was posted.

Curren's most recent take sounds reasonable and plausible enough to me. Brady wants to be here and wants a long-term deal, but the Pats weren't willing to give him a long-term deal. They are willing to give him a raise in the short term to make things fair. Brady says fine, but I want to have some control of the situation and not have the Patriots be in total control -- so no franchise tag, and voidable years expiring before free agency begins so that if we can't come to an agreement I have options and I'm not dealing with my contract over the summertime again. Seems reasonable to me.
Let’s not take what goes on in Curran’s head when he is trying to stir controversy and call it a reasonable take.
You could fill encyclopedias with the incorrect “takes” on Brady’s attitudes from the media as well as posters on this board.

From Curren

"When [Brady] stepped to the bargaining table this time and knew that he had an expiring contract, he wanted to be here," Curran said. "What he wanted to get was some long-term security that would allow him to play until 43, 44, maybe 45 as he has stated.

"So when he stepped to the table, and the Patriots weren't giving him the surety he would get that, what he quickly pivoted to was wanting to have his own autonomy.”

This is a bit of a roll of the dice for the Pats. If Brady plays well again this year and gets a big 2 year offer from a team like the Rams or the Cowboys we don’t have a Young or Rodgers stepping in.

The Cowboys?????? Let them cap space problem solve Dak/Zeke/Amari first, no??????

The Rams would actually be a possible suitor - - Goff's cap hit balloons and they will have more space as Whitworth, Brockers, Fower, Peters and Talib all come off the books in 2020. They could conceivably make a run at Brady, playing up the California angle. Once again, does Gisele want to throw her 43 year old hubby into a new team situation with the LT position in flux?

Again, there will be suitors. Bank on it. Does Brady and wife actually say "Yeah, we want to start over with another team/personnel/system at age 43".? Nope. Nope. Nope.

Could he do the Hightower/McCourty free agent tour, eat some yummy cupcakes and come back to One Patriot Place saying "Here's what they are offering - -sweeten it up"? Sure.

Last edited:
The Cowboys?????? Let them cap space problem solve Dak/Zeke/Amari first, no??????

The Rams would actually be a possible suitor - - Goff's cap hit balloons and they will have more space as Whitworth, Brockers, Fower, Peters and Talib all come off the books in 2020. They could conceivably make a run at Brady, playing up the California angle. Once again, does Gisele want to throw her 43 year old hubby into a new team situation with the LT position in flux?

Again, there will be suitors. Bank on it. Does Brady and wife actually say "Yeah, we want to start over with another team/personnel/system at age 43".? Nope. Nope. Nope.

Could he do the Hightower/McCourty tour and come back to One Patriot Place saying "Here's what they are offering - -sweeten it up"? Sure.

If the Cowboys hold off on the Prescott signing, they'll have the money available.

If the Patriots are without Brady in 2020, and Belichick stays, it will look a lot 2001 with a good running game and a very good defense. They'll also have $20 to $30 million in cap space to sign a signal caller. The team without Brady will compete in the AFC East. It's hard to say much more than that.

I hate when you open up a thread at page 4 and see something that really makes you want to argue but then you see that the thread is up to page 32 and you're just left with all this anger and nowhere to vent it.

Sure, a restructure or extension would be possible anytime IN the 2o2o contract year, THAT IS, if there were a contract. The contract voids in early March 2020.

The open question is what extensions are possible before Brady becomes a free agent in March.

The Patriots extended Brady in September 2010 after the roster was complete, so a mid-season deal is not unprecedented. Most of Brady's extensions and restructures happened in February. Don Yee has a good relationship with the brass on the Patriots. If Drew Rosenhaus were representing Brady, I'd be the first to say that he is gone after this year.

Teams that have retired #12:

Bills.............Kelly
Jets..............Serial kisser
Dolphins......Griese
49ers............Brodie
Seahawks.....12th man

Dallas it is
Brady can put his TB12 clinic next to the new Wahlburgers at Dallas' HQ and get private glute massages with his celebrity besties

When the history is the very beginning of his coaching career vs the 20 years that followed and includes the mess the owner made of the Cleveland situation, it's pretty relevant. Also relevant is that while he only got Cleveland to the playoffs once, he then proceeded to kick the Parcells coached Patriot's ass. The idea that Bill will suddenly revert to incompetent the second Brady leaves is pretty ridiculous.

When he has had the opportunity to build his program, hes gone 11-5 w/o Brady- twice so stop spewing your BS narrative that BB sucks w/o Tom because its not true.

The reports from Curran that Brady wanted a longer term commitment from the team and was rebuffed are just making me angrier. If Brady ends up playing elsewhere it’s due to the gross negligence of the organization.

If the Patriots are without Brady in 2020, and Belichick stays, it will look a lot 2001 with a good running game and a very good defense. They'll also have $20 to $30 million in cap space to sign a signal caller. The team without Brady will compete in the AFC East. It's hard to say much more than that.
I'll go one further. They will compete in the AFC to go to the Super Bowl.

I hate when you open up a thread at page 4 and see something that really makes you want to argue but then you see that the thread is up to page 32 and you're just left with all this anger and nowhere to vent it.

LOL, don't let it get to ya. Have you heard the Patriots are unfurling banner #6 on Sunday Night Football in a few weeks?

Enjoying the wave!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back