PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady and Gronk - Do They Care About The Money Being Given?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a headache every time this subject comes up :p

Thats the part I think they want to avoid at all costs. They don't want a 44 yr old QB with a $21m dead cap charge - even if it's 10% of the cap.

Historically they are pretty good with dead money with jettisoned players.

2018- $2.5m (with more to come)
2017-$7.2m
2016- $17.5m
2015- $19.4m
2014- $18.6m
2013- $16.6m

I'm assuming they'll want Tom at 44 or 45 to have a dead cap around $10m.

Well, what they'd prefer to do and what they're actually able to do may well be two different things. I'm long past assuming what they'll want.

In terms of historic dead money:
2016- $17.5M = 11.3% of a $155.3M cap
2015- $19.4M = 13.5% of a $143.3M cap
2014-$18.6M = 14% of a $133M cap
2013 -$16.6M = 13.5% of a $123M cap

The 4.5% dead money of last season and the 1.5% this season (so far) are historically low. So, for the exceptional circumstance of Brady's career ending before his contract, they might also feel that 10% dead money on the cap a couple years down the road may be acceptable if it allows them to sign more players who can help them win while he's still playing.

There is no reason for a player to not do so. The player is NEVER the one to make that offer, it is up to the team.
If Brady’s contract does not gave salary converted to bonus it’s because the team didn’t want to not brady, so the comment putting the onus of reducing the cap number on brady is wrong.
I know the benefits. And I have no idea what's going on except that usually with two years left it gets re-done. It's possible that Brady is choosing to keep the bigger than usual cap hit as a power play as a negotiating ploy for something else (possibly Guerrero related). I don't know - and neither do you although you'll claim that you do.

I know the benefits. And I have no idea what's going on except that usually with two years left it gets re-done. It's possible that Brady is choosing to keep the bigger than usual cap hit as a power play as a negotiating ploy for something else (possibly Guerrero related). I don't know - and neither do you although you'll claim that you do.
So you are making something up that has absolutely no basis in fact or reality just because you have nothing legitimate to say?

Gotcha.

Does Gronk have top end WR1 production? Over the last four years, he has 3,924 yards/52 games. Julio Jones has 6,317 yards/61 games and Antonio Brown has 6,349 yards/61 games. So not near elite wide receiver yardage.

I assume he has lower yardage because of the blocking he is called to do. The equiv yardage for the other ‘top’ TE I know of is Travis Kelce at 3,900yds/63 games. So lower, but much closer to Gronk’s numbers than Gronk is to Jones and Brown.

Is Gronk’s value then taken to be higher because of his impact on the field in terms of double teams, his overall mismatch dictating the Defense and the game planning required against him?

From someone who struggles to understand why people say Cooks should get $12-14M for 1100yds/year, that Gronk deserves more than $10M a year for about 1100yds/year but no-one ever argued that Edelman should get more money when he had 1100 yds/yr (yes, I know, ‘slot receiver’!).

Or are WR’s now simply getting paid for what people hope their production could be, rather then is, so there is actually no real correlation between production and contract value? In which case, I can see why Gronk really wants to get in on that WR money!

Does Gronk have top end WR1 production? Over the last four years, he has 3,924 yards/52 games. Julio Jones has 6,317 yards/61 games and Antonio Brown has 6,349 yards/61 games. So not near elite wide receiver yardage.

I assume he has lower yardage because of the blocking he is called to do. The equiv yardage for the other ‘top’ TE I know of is Travis Kelce at 3,900yds/63 games. So lower, but much closer to Gronk’s numbers than Gronk is to Jones and Brown.

Is Gronk’s value then taken to be higher because of his impact on the field in terms of double teams, his overall mismatch dictating the Defense and the game planning required against him?

From someone who struggles to understand why people say Cooks should get $12-14M for 1100yds/year, that Gronk deserves more than $10M a year for about 1100yds/year but no-one ever argued that Edelman should get more money when he had 1100 yds/yr (yes, I know, ‘slot receiver’!).

Or are WR’s now simply getting paid for what people hope their production could be, rather then is, so there is actually no real correlation between production and contract value? In which case, I can see why Gronk really wants to get in on that WR money!
This is why fantasy football has ruined discussion about the game.

When it comes to Brady, B.B. likely is just going to point him at the krafts

So you are making something up that has absolutely no basis in fact or reality just because you have nothing legitimate to say?

Gotcha.
He's always done it with 2 years left. This time he hasn't so far. We'll see where it goes from here.

He's always done it with 2 years left. This time he hasn't so far. We'll see where it goes from here.
THE TEAM has always extended him with 2 year left. The player has nothing to do with it other than signing the change as a technicality.
You are trying to make up sonething that does not exist.

When he does something to get his cap number down then I'll agree. That's the norm for him. Until then I think he's trying to stick it to BB as some kind of power play.

When he does something to get his cap down!

Brady's playing for $15M a year in a $25M-$30M world.

THE TEAM has always extended him with 2 year left. The player has nothing to do with it other than signing the change as a technicality.

The team initiates the extension where they reduce the cap hit? That makes sense but the radio makes it sound like brady is being a jerk for not taking less.

You don't like the word. Fine. Let's talk substance. How much do you believe that belichick is willing to pay Gronk on a 2 year extension?

Other too free agents games played in the last 4 years
Allen Robinson 43
Sammy Watkins 53
Trumaine Johnson 54
Aaron Colvin 51
Andrew norwell 61
Tyran. Mathieu 54
Dion Lewis 36
Sheldon Richardson 57
Adrian Clayborn 49
Ryan Jensen 36
Justin Pugh 48
Zach Brown 46
Nigel Bradham 59

Are all of these guys “part-time players” @mgteich ?

He normally extends his deal, not moves money around.

The team initiates the extension where they reduce the cap hit? That makes sense but the radio makes it sound like brady is being a jerk for not taking less.
Brady already is taking less.
Yes the player cannot concert salary to signing bonus, the team has to propose it

You don't like the word. Fine. Let's talk substance. How much do you believe that belichick is willing to pay Gronk on a 2 year extension?
Not the word, the concept and implication, and the wrongness of your use of it.
I don’t get into that, but he would certainly make him the highest paid TE in the league if that’s what it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back