PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady and Gronk - Do They Care About The Money Being Given?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We make believe that money doesn't matter to Brady and Gronk. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe it does. However, if Belichick wants them to extend, then money is part of the discussion.

BRADY
Does Brady not care that Cousins is making $28M on a new 2 year contract, and that Keenun is making more than he is? If Brady is being asked to sign a new contract, is he really OK with the $15M of new money that he is contract for in 2018 and 2019?

GRONK
Gronk is on a pay as you go contract, with guarantees, for $11M this year and $12M in 2019. If we want him to sign an extension, how much do we think that he will insist on? How much will Belichick agree to?

MY BOTTOM LINE
The decision has been made on Brady. If he wants $25M a year over 4 years, then give it to him, with an injury clause if possible.

With regard to Gronk, Belichick may have limits on how much he'll pay for a GREAT, part-time player.

Gronk definitely cares as he’s criminally underpaid and I think Brady does too out of sense of pride. Depending how it’s structured they can get a nice raise while also lowering the immediate cap hit so I don’t know why it’s not being done.

Belichick may not want to pay Gronk much more than $11M and $12M, without an injury clause.

Gronk definitely cares as he’s criminally underpaid and I think Brady does too out of sense of pride. Depending how it’s structured they can get a nice raise while also lowering the immediate cap hit so I don’t know why it’s not being done.

We make believe that money doesn't matter to Brady and Gronk. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe it does. However, if Belichick wants them to extend, then money is part of the discussion.

BRADY
Does Brady not care that Cousins is making $28M on a new 2 year contract, and that Keenun is making more than he is? If Brady is being asked to sign a new contract, is he really OK with the $15M of new money that he is contract for in 2018 and 2019?

GRONK
Gronk is on a pay as you go contract, with guarantees, for $11M this year and $12M in 2019. If we want him to sign an extension, how much do we think that he will insist on? How much will Belichick agree to?

MY BOTTOM LINE
The decision has been made on Brady. If he wants $25M a year over 4 years, then give it to him, with an injury clause if possible.

With regard to Gronk, Belichick may have limits on how much he'll pay for a GREAT, part-time player.

I agree, I think they extend Brady, but I think Belichick may have tired of jumping through hoops for Gronk. Unfortunately I think there is a 50/50 chance Gronk is traded, but the asking price may be the thing that keeps it from happening. If I’m Belichick I take nothing less than a top 10-15 pick, and it has to be a team in the NFC. If it’s going to happen then I want it to be SF at #9. I’d let them sign him to a new deal, which would make it worth it to them.

BRADY

GRONK

MY BOTTOM LINE

I don't see Bill paying Tom $25m annually which would be ~$50m in guarantees.

They'll give Gronk a little bump but that's it.

While Gronk is being paid (on paper) top TE money, he's produced at top-10 WR level. He's just not getting paid at that level.

It shouldn't be all that difficult to give him an extension that provides him with a top-10(-ish) WR APY (~$13M), and top-10(-ish) WR guaranteed money (~$15M new) and simultaneously reduce his 2018 & 2019 cap hits - assuming that's what he's looking for. The 2020 and 2021 salaries would be "funny money" anyway, just like those WR contracts.

So, you would be fine with Brady's contract ending in 2019? If so, I'd suggest drafting a QB in the top 50 picks.

Brady is signed through 2019 with all monies guaranteed. The issue is how much to offer to contract him for in 2020 and 2021.

While Gronk is being paid (on paper) top TE money, he's produced at top-10 WR level. He's just not getting paid at that level.

It shouldn't be all that difficult to give him an extension that provides him with a top-10(-ish) WR APY (~$13M), and top-10(-ish) WR guaranteed money (~$15M new) and simultaneously reduce his 2018 & 2019 cap hits - assuming that's what he's looking for. The 2020 and 2021 salaries would be "funny money" anyway, just like those WR contracts.
Yes, we could throw an additional $5M to Gronk and deal with this again in 2 years.

I doubt Brady cares about money at this point in his career. Just championships. I have no clue about Gronk.

None of us know either of these guys...OK, there might be friends or family of either lurking, but they sure as hell aren't posting, at least if they want to remain in the inner circles...none of us know Brady or Gronk other than what we learn about them through mass or social media, which is primarily what they want us to know about them.

As far as I can see, for Brady, if it were "about the money," he would have approached things very differently a long time ago. In recent years, he's given the impression that it's more about his being able to leave on his own terms than anything else. The Garoppolo trade took care of that. He more than earned the right to that.

For Gronk, we just can't tell. My own gut is that, for him, at this stage it's more about his long term mental and physical well-being. He doesn't want to be hobbling around in his mid 40's and worrying about whether his mind is slipping when he's in his 50's.

Gronk's earning power might be greater off the field, if one takes a multi-year view of that. He's branded himself as "Gronk" as much as Shaquille O'Neal ever branded himself as "Shaq."

Unless they've made some bad investment decisions about which we don't know, Brady and Bündchen have already accumulated more money than two rational people could spend in several lifetimes. But, if linking his future earnings power to the TB12 Lifestyle and Guerrero's "products" is important to Brady, then he'd logically want to quit while he is on top. It's also, I think, important to remember that Brady has not just said that he wants to play as long as he can (which he has indeed said often), but he's also said that he wants to play as long as he's having fun. Those two end points might not be identical.

As I read it on OTC, Brady's 2018 & 2019 are (each):

$15M salary, $7M signing bonus pro-rata = $22M APY. I don't think those salaries are guaranteed until the first week of each regular season.

So, anything they convert from his current salaries to signing bonus (max. $14M each year) becomes new guaranteed money of (max.) $28M. If that's spread out over four years (on a 2-year extension, including his current $14M in signing bonus), that's $10.5M per year (28+14=42, divided by 4 = 10.5).

That reduces his 2018 & 2019 cap hits from $22M/year to $11.5M/year.

At that point, you can make up whatever salary numbers for 2020 & 2021 that are necessary to make the 4-year APY come out to $25M ($100M total). Since he's already getting $44M either way, the 2020 & 2021 salaries would need to add up to $56M.

Again, the salary part for the last two years is "funny money" unless he's actually on the roster.

with all monies guaranteed.

That's the part I'm not certain about. I don't think his salaries become fully-guaranteed until week-1 of each regular season. At the very least, OTC doesn't make it clear that those salaries are guaranteed before then.

1) Brady's money became guaranteed last week.

2) You presume that Brady gets no additional compensation.

That's the part I'm not certain about. I don't think his salaries become fully-guaranteed until week-1 of each regular season. At the very least, OTC doesn't make it clear that those salaries are guaranteed before then.

Brady and Gronk don't care about money as much as having a stress free
work environment.

BRADY

GRONK

MY BOTTOM LINE

Part time player? Jesus.

That is less than his value. You think B.B. would just tell him to walk and go with hoyer? Seriously?

Part time player? Jesus.
Part-time player = a player who expected not to be play in every game

I would be fine with giving Gronk some cash. Major guaranteed money for an extension may be beyond what Belichick has in mind.

Part-time player = a player who expected not to be play in every game
Why would you expect him not to play? I’m pretty sure he has never taken a game off when healthy.

Why would you expect him not to play? I’m pretty sure he has never taken a game off when healthy.
Gronk would NEVER take a game off when healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes