PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady and Gronk - Do They Care About The Money Being Given?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you would be fine with Brady's contract ending in 2019? If so, I'd suggest drafting a QB in the top 50 picks.

Brady is signed through 2019 with all monies guaranteed. The issue is how much to offer to contract him for in 2020 and 2021.

No! I want him extended!

I do think they are spending a top selection on a QB regardless.

I don't think BB/Kraft is giving him a 4yr $100m deal w/ $40m in guarantees.

I see a 2yr extension in the future on his current deal which needs to be a low cap hit like 2019 and he will be FA in 2021.

If they did dole out $25m/yr there would be a base but the incentives would be based on games played, stats, playoffs and SBs.

Gronk has played 80% of his regular season games, 73% since his first two years. We should probably bump up his contract but I would just increase the per game incentives (add $100K per game played for instance, to give him the potential for an extra $1.6M per year). Maybe a bigger number even but missing more than 1/4 of the games since 2012, I wouldn't just increase salary without it being tied to games played.

Gronk would NEVER take a game off when healthy.
Then why are you calling him a part time player.
Nate solder who just got the biggest contact ever for an OL has played 60 games in the past 4 years. Gronk has played 60 games in the last 4 years.

I doubt Brady cares about money at this point in his career. Just championships.
When he does something to get his cap number down then I'll agree. That's the norm for him. Until then I think he's trying to stick it to BB as some kind of power play.

TB12 is very passive agressive lately.

I don't know what they hell he wants.
Can you please share other insights from all the time you have personally spent with him.

When he does something to get his cap number down then I'll agree. That's the norm for him. Until then I think he's trying to stick it to BB as some kind of power play.
What? His cap number is below market. What in the world has he done that you think is sticking it to B.B., and why would he want to do that?
You make zero sense.

As I read it on OTC, Brady's 2018 & 2019 are (each):

$15M salary, $7M signing bonus pro-rata = $22M APY. I don't think those salaries are guaranteed until the first week of each regular season.

So, anything they convert from his current salaries to signing bonus (max. $14M each year) becomes new guaranteed money of (max.) $28M. If that's spread out over four years (on a 2-year extension, including his current $14M in signing bonus), that's $10.5M per year (28+14=42, divided by 4 = 10.5).

That reduces his 2018 & 2019 cap hits from $22M/year to $11.5M/year.

At that point, you can make up whatever salary numbers for 2020 & 2021 that are necessary to make the 4-year APY come out to $25M ($100M total). Since he's already getting $44M either way, the 2020 & 2021 salaries would need to add up to $56M.

Again, the salary part for the last two years is "funny money" unless he's actually on the roster.

Yea that makes sense.

There is no doubt in my mind the man is entitled to earn $25m/yr...if not more.

Something just tells me the Pats don't want to pay him a big guaranteed lump sum and have a huge dead cap hit when he is 44.

What? His cap number is below market. What in the world has he done that you think is sticking it to B.B., and why would he want to do that?
You make zero sense.
His cap hit (not total money) is usually around $15M. This year and next it's sitting at $22M.

SALARIES GUARANTEED

Brady $15M
Cousins $28M

Brady $15M
Cousins $28M

Brady ???
Cousins $28M

His cap hit (not total money) is usually around $15M. This year and next it's sitting at $22M.
No it hasn’t been but if the team wants to convert salary to signing bonus that’s their call. The player has nothing to do with it.

This all smells like a mediot-driven story.

It's an easy story line to plant, because each and every year the new crop of free agents gets paid more.

I'm jealous of how much some of my co-workers get paid, therefore everyone else is, let's write about it.

Yet when these players get top dollar, they're also signing away many years of team control, and they know it.

They get more up front because the team gets long term salary stability in return.

I doubt BB wakes up one morning and decides to give up long term salary stability.

Gronk knows his injury history limits his upside. He kept getting paid as his back got re-built.

Yet mediots run with "he must be pissed about his contract" because simple-minded jealousy stories get clicks.

No it hasn’t been but if the team wants to convert salary to signing bonus that’s their call. The player has nothing to do with it.
Yes it has. Look it up. And, no, it's not the team's call. It's a contract change that the player has to agree to (which they almost always do).

Change work environment to locker room.

My work environment often smells worse than any locker room I've ever been in, so ...

Anyway, who's to know how stressful the Pats locker room might be at any given moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back