PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bradford: Baker Mayfield a Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosen, Darnold,Allen, Lock and Falk over the puny Mayfield. I hate clowns that inflate their height stats. He claims 6'2"...he's just about 6'1".

Rosen, Darnold,Allen, Lock and Falk over the puny Mayfield. I hate clowns that inflate their

Rosen is 210 & Lock is 205. I'd def take a shot at Lock although it looks like he' going back.

There's a lot to like about Falk but he scares me too much. At times really good placement & accuracy but struggles the tighter the coverage & more pressure you bring. He really can't "push" the ball downfield into the tight windows he'll need to at the next level. Again when faced with pressure his clock gets slower and already isn't that great.

He'll also be a 24 rookie. Maybe you take as a back-up but I've made this point before. Things have to add up for us to take a guy 1st-2nd round. You're not taking a 24-25 rookie to sit for 4 years and be your franchise starter at 28-29 years old.

Whether it's Mayfield or someone else, this is the year for BB to draft a QB in the first round.

We absolutely could.

Again though, things have to fall into place. If Tom plays 3-5 years we're not drafting a 24+ SR QB to sit and wait until he's almost 30.

I could see the Pats trading their own 1st and 2nd to trade up to get him in the 1st. Though I came away a little disappointed after watching him in the Rose Bowl. Kinda blame the OC though, played it too safe in OT.

I agree and thought some of his passes in the second half were not good. I wonder if he got banged up sometime early in the second half.

I agree and thought some of his passes in the second half were not good. I wonder if he got banged up sometime early in the second half.

He took a knee to the back on a sack early in the 2nd half

We absolutely could.

Again though, things have to fall into place. If Tom plays 3-5 years we're not drafting a 24+ SR QB to sit and wait until he's almost 30.

IMO (as of now), it's a near certainty that they take a QB in the first 2 rounds. The reason I mentioned round one is the extra year, and I doubt that the Patriots really care about the future age of the pick, as long as they think he'll be ready to go when Brady moves on.

2-3 years for Brady is far more likely than 4-5 so they'd be dumb not to start grooming a new guy asap.

The most important reason why BB might be willing to draft a QB in round one: the fifth-year option.

Although it's obviously hindsight now, if the Pats had drafted Garoppolo at 30 instead of 62, they could have kept him for 2018 at about $13M on the fifth-year tender instead of $22M for the franchise tag.

Can you tell us why?

He's a composed, decisive, accurate passer with a quick release and nice touch. He's a high character guy apparently and has played the entire year with a broken wrist which shows he's tough.He'll be available in the middle rounds and I think he'll be as good an NFL QB, if not better, than the flashier, more highly touted names.

He's a composed, decisive, accurate passer with a quick release and nice touch. He's a high character guy apparently and has played the entire year with a broken wrist which shows he's tough.He'll be available in the middle rounds and I think he'll be as good an NFL QB, if not better, than the flashier, more highly touted names.

I posted the news about his wrist last night.

Fair enough. Disagree but fair enough.

His height is an issue. No doubt. Brees has made it work, but he’s the exception rather than the rule.

This is a case where none of the draft rankings will mean a thing until the Combine weigh-in. AFAIK Russell Wilson is currently the only QB under six feet in the NFL -- and it's the entire reason that he wasn't drafted until round 3.

This is a case where none of the draft rankings will mean a thing until the Combine weigh-in. AFAIK Russell Wilson is currently the only QB under six feet in the NFL -- and it's the entire reason that he wasn't drafted until round 3.

Taylor is very small. Keenum too.

Here's a picture of Mayfield standing next to Dede Westbrook, who measured in at 5 feet 11 and 5/8 inches at the combine. I guess that is barefoot?

You can't see their feet /shoes here, but they are similarly far from the camera.

I'd guess that Mayfield has about 2 inches on him, so those saying 6' 1.5" or 6'2" are likely right. We will see at the combine, but I expect no 5'11" surprise measurement.

5488834.jpg

Taylor is very small. Keenum too.

The average hgt of all NFL QBs is around 6'3".

Official draft season hgt measurements (Combine):

Taylor = 6006
Keenum = 6005
Brees = 6002
Wilson = 5105
(Wilson's current backup, Trevone Boykin, measured 6000 at the Combine)

So, the four shortest QBs currently employed in the NFL all have starting jobs and winning records this season.

Other "shortest" QBs in the NFL ...
Flutie ~5'10"
Jurgensen ~5'11"
Tarkenton ~6'0"
Vick ~6'0"

Stay away from B12 QBs. They don't play defense in that conference. Like, none at all. Year after year, we see QBs with ridiculous numbers in that conference. And then they never ever ever pan out. As in, EVER!!!

oops never mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back