PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bradford: Baker Mayfield a Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, there are all sorts of things that Belichick "would never do" until he goes and does them. Trading up for Jones, trading up for Hightower, and trading for Cooks were all out of Belichick's usual MO at the time they happened but he did them all anyway.

At this point, I don't put a lot of stock in that stuff. Nothing Belichick might do would surprise me all that much; I still believe there are strong general trends in how he handles the draft and player acquisition in general, but he's repeatedly proven he's willing to step outside of that and make big moves if the player in question warrants it.

IOW, he thinks outside the box. You're absolutely right.

Hard Pass

Too short, and too immature. He can easily be thrown into a tizzie.

I do give him credit for not acting like an ass after the loss last night. He did play a great game, but it was clear once Georgia decided to rush him and the negative plays started piling up that the only success he had was do to quick snapping the ball when the defense wasn't ready.

Rosen, Darnold,Allen, Lock and Falk over the puny Mayfield. I hate clowns that inflate their height stats. He claims 6'2"...he's just about 6'1".
That would make him just ONE inch shorter that Jimmy G.

If he fell to the 2nd round, I'd grab him in an instant, IF tapes showed him to have a quick release, good downfield vision, and keeps his eyes downfield vs a rush. Then give him 2-3 years to apprentice in relative silence, and you could have a good starting QB for the future who would be well beyond the college immaturities he had while at OU.

Personally I don't know much about him and admit I've only seen clips of his play. However the production is there. So if the intelligence, toughness, and processing ability matches the production, then his height, which isn't ideal, shouldn't be a big factor. Again, J. it IS only an inch shorter than the QB that merits a 43 page thread. :eek: If the rest of the abilities are present, then why NOT.

But in the end he'll likely be long gone before we pick at 32, so this is just amusing speculation right now,

BTW- For the first time I think the Pats would be willing to use a first round pick (albeit in the 30's) QB because we will have a pick in the early 40's to get a player with the same grade as at 32. Of course if there is someone has amazingly slipped and becomes available that will go out the window.

That's one of the reasons I'm always looking for the elite talent who falls due to some screw up (like MJ) or injury. I loved the CB pick that the Eagles made in the 2nd round last year. They had to wait virtually the entire year for the kid to get better, but they'll have him as depth in the playoffs and for the next 3 years at least.

Even before Manziel was drafted he was a spoiled rich kid who was drunk off his ass every weekend and flying around the world to party with Justin Beiber and other fools. He never cared for football a bit. I see no correlation whatsoever between Manziel with Mayfield except height. The build is not even the same: Mayfield has bulked up to survive a beating, even though he prefers to pass over running at the first sign of trouble.

Giving a crotch-grab or middle finger to the opposing crowd or opposing players is immature but equating it to Manziel's many many issues is just silly.

*sniff sniff*

Smells like Ryan Leaf to me.

He looked pretty good sprinting up the sideline after winning the coin toss for overtime. He's a choker (note that his coach took the ball out of his hands there at the end instead of going for the kill shots). No thanks but I wouldn't doubt it happens.
What games has he choked in where you can’t directly fault the coaching staff for going overly conservative? Brady also looked great screaming and pumping his fist on the sideline after cracking his ribs against Miami in 2009 but some of his throws said otherwise.

Thanks Kontra I really like him looks the part love his mechanics. Our guy will have option to sit for three years hopefully.

I want to win it next year, not in 3 years. The draft next year better be LB, LB, LB, maybe a DE, maybe a TE, and then LB, LB, LB.
IMO it would be really dumb not to draft a QB in the early rounds unless there is no one they like.

The sooner we have someone learning under Brady the better.

I'm with Jimmy Johnson on this one. I would imagine his height to be more of an issue than a crotch grab on the sidelines.
This was going to be my response - this guy might be too short for the NFL in general and the Pats in particular. I think he's only 5' 10".

He looked pretty good sprinting up the sideline after winning the coin toss for overtime. He's a choker (note that his coach took the ball out of his hands there at the end instead of going for the kill shots). No thanks but I wouldn't doubt it happens.

If anyone is to be blamed for choking it’s the OU coaching staff with that conservative playcalling In OT.

Has talent, played in a pro style offense, has room to grow (and would be given that room with the Pats), and has a chip on his shoulder the size of the Grand Canyon. I'd be absolutely fine with it. He'll be gone long before the Patriots draft, though.

Glancing at mock drafts, he's all over the map. Some have him in top 10, others in round 3. The dude has a 71% completion percentage so I'd be shocked if some QB starved team doesn't grab him in 1st round.

BTW- For the first time I think the Pats would be willing to use a first round pick (albeit in the 30's) QB because we will have a pick in the early 40's to get a player with the same grade as at 32. Of course if there is someone has amazingly slipped and becomes available that will go out the window.

That's one of the reasons I'm always looking for the elite talent who falls due to some screw up (like MJ) or injury. I loved the CB pick that the Eagles made in the 2nd round last year. They had to wait virtually the entire year for the kid to get better, but they'll have him as depth in the playoffs and for the next 3 years at least.

Belichick probably has had his eye on some kid from Podunk U since the kid was in middle school. He'll grab him in the fourth round and we will all go "Who????"

Who's the Alabama LB who'll be available in round 2?

Robert Foster

Shaun Hamilton

Rashaan Evans

I think all the other LB's are sophomore/juniors and a frosh or two.

After the sign thing going into the game, then warming up in Georgia’s end zone prior to the game, B.B. isn’t going near this kid. He resembles Manziel in both maturity and style of play.

No one can really determine how the QB situation will pay off. Take last year's example. Did anyone expect Patrick Mahomes to be picked that high over other candidates? Did anyone except the Chiefs to trade UP for him?

I watched the second half on the ESPN Film Room. Granted it’s omly a half of football, but Mayfield did not look like an NFL prospect. Georgia went to man coverage in the second half and Mayfield couldn’t make tight throws to beat man coverage. The one time he went deep down the sideline, he got a long completion, but his receiver had a step and the ball was under thrown. He had a TD if he hit him in stride.

As a side note, they had the TCU coach Gary Patterson on and he was very impressive. His football IQ was light years ahead of the other coaches and he was accurately predicting plays based on formations. He should be in the NFL.

Has talent, played in a pro style offense, has room to grow (and would be given that room with the Pats), and has a chip on his shoulder the size of the Grand Canyon. I'd be absolutely fine with it. He'll be gone long before the Patriots draft, though.
Agree with all of the above. I was impressed with his accuracy on the flat passes hitting receivers in stride with the ball right where it should be. We won't get him but would be happy if we did.

What games has he choked in where you can’t directly fault the coaching staff for going overly conservative? Brady also looked great screaming and pumping his fist on the sideline after cracking his ribs against Miami in 2009 but some of his throws said otherwise.
Iowa State this year (as 30 point favorites...I made money), Houston last year (to open the season I believe), Clemson spanked them in the playoffs the year before and they lost to Texas the same year as a big favorite. Not all his fault but he had serious talent around him. Blame the defense all you can but I don't think this kid is going to win at the next level. He hasn't won many big games, other than the Ohio State game and an undermanned/overrated Auburn team last year's bowl.

Also, where did you hear he might have broken ribs? I haven't seen that yet.

I believe he’ll land in Arizona. The NFC West is filled with young “pretty mobile” QBs for at least the next decade. They’re gonna have to figure something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes