PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bradford: Baker Mayfield a Patriot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they get him, bb will do an edelman on him

Love his intensity, love his arm, love his pocket presence, love his grit, don't love his height. The attitude stuff is overhyped, as he is not a off-field troublemaker, he just has lost his cool with hecklers and can probably grow up a little to avoid that.

I think he won't last until the bottom of round 1 and I'm not so enamored that I'd do a trade-up. If he slid it would be a great get there, though.

BB has never had to trade up for one in the first round. If there's one he loves and feels that he needs to, he will.

Yeah, there are all sorts of things that Belichick "would never do" until he goes and does them. Trading up for Jones, trading up for Hightower, and trading for Cooks were all out of Belichick's usual MO at the time they happened but he did them all anyway.

At this point, I don't put a lot of stock in that stuff. Nothing Belichick might do would surprise me all that much; I still believe there are strong general trends in how he handles the draft and player acquisition in general, but he's repeatedly proven he's willing to step outside of that and make big moves if the player in question warrants it.

Could Baker Mayfield land with Patriots?

Talent, yes. Respect the game, no. Pass. Bradford must be bored.
grab-2017-11-18-17h12m55s198.png

I don't like him. I was annoyed just watching him yesterday. Just something about him...

With that said hes very talented.

johnny manziel is further along in the process

I want to win it next year, not in 3 years. The draft next year better be LB, LB, LB, maybe a DE, maybe a TE, and then LB, LB, LB.

I think we'll end up taking a qb with one of our top 3 picks. The other two picks should be between, d-line, linebacker and safety I would guess.

He wasn’t dominant. That’s what I was expecting from a Heisman Trophy winning 1st round QB.
48 points with an O line that too often collapsed and pass catchers that were too often smothered. The play calling was puzzling at times as well.
It's a shame he's only 6'1" because it is rare too see a college QB with such command and confidence. I saw a young Drew Brees yesterday

Carrying a big sign into the game that read "Pretenders" was not a smart move. A very decidedly un-BB type move.

I think we'll end up taking a qb with one of our top 3 picks. The other two picks should be between, d-line, linebacker and safety I would guess.
The third round pick will be a safety nobody even on the draft board has ever heard of.

Last edited:
He was until he ate a knee to the ribs. The way some of his balls floated after that leads me to believe he either cracked or outright broke his ribs.
He looked pretty good sprinting up the sideline after winning the coin toss for overtime. He's a choker (note that his coach took the ball out of his hands there at the end instead of going for the kill shots). No thanks but I wouldn't doubt it happens.

The rehab process?

the process called life.......mayfield should use manziel as a strict example of how not to roll.........but I don't think he can absorb all that knowledge

Even before Manziel was drafted he was a spoiled rich kid who was drunk off his ass every weekend and flying around the world to party with Justin Beiber and other fools. He never cared for football a bit. I see no correlation whatsoever between Manziel with Mayfield except height. The build is not even the same: Mayfield has bulked up to survive a beating, even though he prefers to pass over running at the first sign of trouble.

Giving a crotch-grab or middle finger to the opposing crowd or opposing players is immature but equating it to Manziel's many many issues is just silly.

Who's the Alabama LB who'll be available in round 2?

I'm a big fan of Evans. I'm not sure he'll last until the SF pick, but he seems like a great fit here.

As for Mayfield, I think he's the best QB in CFB right now. The game last night wasn't up to his usual standards -- maybe he's nursing an achilles injury. ;)

Yeah, there are all sorts of things that Belichick "would never do" until he goes and does them. Trading up for Jones, trading up for Hightower, and trading for Cooks were all out of Belichick's usual MO at the time they happened but he did them all anyway.

At this point, I don't put a lot of stock in that stuff. Nothing Belichick might do would surprise me all that much; I still believe there are strong general trends in how he handles the draft and player acquisition in general, but he's repeatedly proven he's willing to step outside of that and make big moves if the player in question warrants it.

Bill does whatever will help the most. He'd never trade a first round pick for a wr until he did this year. I could absolutely see him moving up if the QB he sees as the future is available and he doesn't think he'll last until we pick.

I'm a big fan of Evans. I'm not sure he'll last until the SF pick, but he seems like a great fit here.

As for Mayfield, I think he's the best QB in CFB right now. The game last night wasn't up to his usual standards -- maybe he's nursing an achilles injury. ;)

rofl.gif

I don't follow college football. I despise the institution. So I don't know any of these kids from a hole in the ground. What I do know is that these kids who are exceptionally immature coming into the league almost never grow up. I want no part of any QB with maturity issues. That is the position where you most need maturity and leadership.

Carrying a big sign into the game that read "Pretenders" was not a smart move. A very decidedly un-BB type move.
Yes, he needs to ignore the noise.

That wasn't a jab at the opponent, though, it was a jab at ESPN. In a CFB preseason preview show, OU was tagged by Desmond Howard and Lee Corso of ESPN as the highly-rated team that was most likely to disappoint this season. Lee Corso directly called them "pretenders, not contenders". Gotta let that stuff go. I'm sure a fan gave him the sign, but still... ignore the noise.

The Patriots are too used to dominant quarterbacking, something that could've been perpetuated with Garoppolo succeeding Brady (whenever). Knowing that great QBs don't grown on trees, I'd like to see this team emphasize building a dominant defense for a change, dominant OL and stud RB, with whoever succeeds Brady being a capably efficient game manager. That would suit me. The post-Brady era, at least early on, is going to feel like a letdown regardless of who's in there with JG gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News