PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BOSTON CELTICS vs. Washington Wizards (Eastern semi-finals)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of natural evolution, strength and conditioning, diet and more structured basketball programs, you would be hard pressed to find a champion from 40 or 50 years ago come anywhere close to beating a top 15 team from 2017.
All things being equal...either you plunk a team from today into that era, with all that entails, from officiating to diet and lifestyle; or plunk a team from then into today, with all the technological and as you say, evolutionary strength advantages...or, you find something in between.

I think my point is that those teams from the 50's and especially the 60's were really good, and you can't take that away from them, any more than somebody sixty years from now could denigrate the teams in the final four today.

I think Crowder's ponytail throws his game off. It's like a bunch of cornstalks tied together.
NOW we bring it up?...couldn't we have addressed this in, like, training camp or something?

Where does Kelly O rank in the pantheon of Boston Sports?

I'm thinking somewhere between Cam Neely and The Foxy Lady.

Where does Kelly O rank in the pantheon of Boston Sports?

I'm thinking somewhere between Cam Neely and The Foxy Lady.

Somewhere in Dave Henderson territory -- a role player with tons of flaws who surprisingly steps up to win a critical, non-finals, playoff game.

I've said on this board if you give Bill Russell a year or two in his prime the opportunity to experience modern day nutrition and weight training he'd be a 15/15/5 blocks player and would lead a team to a title because he was the toughest, baddest man ever to set foot on the court.

Same goes for Larry. With nutrition, diet and not sucking down a 6-pack a night he'd still be a 25/10/7 guy.

I firmly believe greatness finds a way.
I don't know if Bill would have enjoyed playing today, but you're right.

Russ was rivaled by Gerry Cheevers as a notoriously terrible practice player. Red used to throw him out of practice all the time, so the rest of the team could focus. Later, he got his revenge by making Bill the head coach.

Larry was driven like a freight train. You just didn't want to be in his way.

If Len hadn't been lost, I'd have to agree with this guy:

Somewhere in Dave Henderson territory -- a role player with tons of flaws who surprisingly steps up to win a critical, non-finals, playoff game.
I have to disagree, unless one counts smiling a lot as a "flaw". It is true that, as anyone who was watching then will remember, it seemed like every big inning we had down the stretch that year ended with a Hendu strikeout.

Who in NBA history would qualify to be in Dave Henderson territory?

Gerald's steal pulling Game 2 out of the fire vs. LA two years earlier comes to mind.

Larry's steal and dish to DJ in Game 5 vs. the Pistons only the previous year does too.

Or, Lucic leading the B's back vs. the Leafs in '13?

Anyway, that Game 5 in Anaheim - the most amazing baseball game I have ever seen (Al Michaels' favorite too) had too many images impossible to forget. The cops pouring out and surrounding the field to control the anticipated celebratory crowd, Jackson hugging Mauch, and the most dejected, forlorn and dismal Red Sox dugout I've ever seen - it looked like a funeral. And David squinting into the afternoon sun, grinning so inappropriately. He admitted afterward, "I didn't have a clue. I just wanted to make contact." R.I.P.

Series I wouldn't be shocked at Cleveland +1500

Edit I don't see reliable lines yet
I think you meant CLE -1500, not +1500. Actually, I know that you did.

For what it's worth, you were halfway there. Sports book.com has them listed as -750 to beat the Celtics and represent the Eastern conference.

Danny could have dealt away current and future assets to have a better shot now, but IMO the choice was to move the C's peak of talent to a couple of years from now when (hopefully) Lebron is past his peak. I understand the logic and I hope it works out. This team has a lot of heart but I think the talent is a little underwhelming.

They are young and inconsistent.. although if they get high quality games from Bradley, Crowder, and Smart they can steal a game or 2. And thats also getting Star play from IT and Horford. And who knows who will step up for the Celtics. Rozier could have a big game or Olynyk lol.. and Jalen is playing solid all around basketball.

The best they can hope for is taking them 6 games.. if they take them 7 games I would be shocked.

Last edited:
Nah. They can't play D and had 2 cupcakes. They play a battle tested team this time around. The development of Jaylen a Brown, especially on the defensive side with his length is a serious development. It is one that is being overlooked as well as Horfords new found game which has been missing all season.

This series has a good chance to be a stunner.
I look forward to being flat out wrong

What could have been.. The Henderson trade netted the pick that was Len Bias......and that tragedy....................
I'm still not over that. Never will be.

There were 1-2 more titles in the 80s if he lived. I'm convinced of it.

Those Pistons teams were very good-looking not great and the late 80s Lakers were not what they were.

Smart needs a trainer, nutritionist, and chef. Dude could be a great player if he dropped 20.

Smart needs a trainer, nutritionist, and chef. Dude could be a great player if he dropped 20.

Maybe, he needs to work harder on his offense. His defense and hustle is great. Dropping 15-20 couldn't hurt.

I like what I am seeing from Jalen Brown, in 3 years he could be a really nice player who can do it all. He is already a good rebounder a decent shooter, probably the best pure athlete on the team.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
I'm still not over that. Never will be.

There were 1-2 more titles in the 80s if he lived. I'm convinced of it.

Those Pistons teams were very good-looking not great and the late 80s Lakers were not what they were.

I can still vividly remember coming up to a work site and having the cop on duty recognize me and yell to me "Did you hear? Len Bias is dead!" I remember it like it was yesterday.

OT: Russell/Red and Brady/Belichick are the dynamic duo of dynamic duos.

I think you meant CLE -1500, not +1500. Actually, I know that you did.

For what it's worth, you were halfway there. Sports book.com has them listed as -750 to beat the Celtics and represent the Eastern conference.
I did. And I'm shocked by that spread.

I did. And I'm shocked by that spread.
Still lots of money (-750) to put up just to win a hundred bucks. I think they have to be careful in order to both attract attention, while also not chasing potential bettors away due to too high of a number.

In this instance, there's not a lot of value there, so I think it'd be easy to move on and look for a better wager. Just my opinion. Perhaps if I had lots of disposable money to lose, I'd wager 7,500 to win 1,000, but I still highly doubt it.

giphy.gif

Soul_Survivor88 started this thread and it propelled us to the eastern finals.
So no new thread needed, I edited the title to keep the ball rolling .. go Celtics.:D:cool::D

Still lots of money (-750) to put up just to win a hundred bucks. I think they have to be careful in order to both attract attention, while also not chasing potential bettors away due to too high of a number.

In this instance, there's not a lot of value there, so I think it'd be easy to move on and look for a better wager. Just my opinion. Perhaps if I had lots of disposable money to lose, I'd wager 7,500 to win 1,000, but I still highly doubt it.
No way. SA tonight +850.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back