PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Black Monday thread: the NFL Coaching Carousel

272435022_10169970626162037_4873406513070870493_n.jpg

Not sure why Denver isn't listed, but Mayo isn't a top betting candidate there either and McDaniels obviously isn't getting the job.

Keep an eye on the Saints, as there are rumors of Sean Payton "retiring" for a year to force his way to a new team in 2023.

that bodes well for at least half of those teams conducting a new search in two years.

The game planning is the philosophy.

Bill does not want to be locked into acquiring players that only do X well but players that do multiple things well nor does he wants his system to be hard-coded but extensible.

He does not want to be a, "We do this and that is all we do" Steelers and Ravens type of team.
Idk. It seems Bill has always prioritized a good running O and a strong D against the run. Having the goat QB, he could get away with limiting resources on the passing O. He did go after top CBs (Revis & Gilly) recently since he didn't have much luck in the draft (until JC).

Unfortunately, the league has gotten way faster on O and D and with half a dozen elite QBs, his philosophy of team building had to change. Probably why he spent so much on receiving weapons.

Looking at the teams left, aside from 49ers, they all have good to elite QBs, great fast receivers and top 7 passing games. 49ers are closer to what the Pats model is with a top running O. It'll be interesting to see which team prevails. It's a passing league, so to me it's the Chiefs, Rams or Bengals.

I'm surprised Cam Ashford hasn't been fired yet.
You mean our ST guy? Cam Archord?

Bill has never "fired" his coaches. He doesn't see the need to embarrass them like that and make a statement.

They just kinda leave once their contract runs out.

Idk. It seems Bill has always prioritized a good running O and a strong D against the run. Having the goat QB, he could get away with limiting resources on the passing O. He did go after top CBs (Revis & Gilly) recently since he didn't have much luck in the draft (until JC).

Unfortunately, the league has gotten way faster on O and D and with half a dozen elite QBs, his philosophy of team building had to change. Probably why he spent so much on receiving weapons.

Looking at the teams left, aside from 49ers, they all have good to elite QBs, great fast receivers and top 7 passing games. 49ers are closer to what the Pats model is with a top running O. It'll be interesting to see which team prevails. It's a passing league, so to me it's the Chiefs, Rams or Bengals.
I can see Bill absolutely loading up on cover guys in the secondary and speed/cover guys at LB.

If you look at the 2014 team he had that. The 2018 team had an elite secondary, LBs were big but still did OK in space.

With the benefit of hindsight can't really say that for the 2021 team.

Bill has never "fired" his coaches. He doesn't see the need to embarrass them like that and make a statement.

That's the guy.

I can see Bill absolutely loading up on cover guys in the secondary and speed/cover guys at LB.

If you look at the 2014 team he had that. The 2018 team had an elite secondary, LBs were big but still did OK in space.

With the benefit of hindsight can't really say that for the 2021 team.
CB was a position of need last year too especially now that we know what Gilmore’s situation was.

As for the speedy LBs, Bill has run a 2gap run scheme since like 1985. He’s going to have to change that or you’re still going to need the 265 LBs or the run D will be even worse than it was the last couple of seasons.

Yep, and that's what I'm afraid is gonna happen with crap like Brick, Mickey Lombardi, Little Stewie & Can't Assford...

Can't tell you what the article says, but the headline has the important part
McDaniels apparently had been calling coaches around the league about putting together a staff, but it appears something happened in the last 24 hours. League sources don’t know if the issue was about compensation or the power structure in Las Vegas or both, but it seems Ziegler and McDaniels are not the leaders in the clubhouse anymore.

I don't see how an objective assessment can suggest that Mayo is ready yet. If the Raiders are smart, they will buy the twofer GM/HC off the Pats' staff; but when have the Raiders ever been smart - interesting as heck, but smart?

If Mayo were to go, we might get a clearer look at whether the little Stevie experiment is nepotism run amock or whether he is actually worth a d-n. Color me skeptical.

If McDaniels leaves, I supect we'll miss his genius for detail, but I doubt we'll miss his strategic judgment, which can be VERY peculiar at times; and exposure to a different OC offers the prospect additional aspects of Mac's potential game might reveal themselves. I do think McD is an excellent OC, but he ain't in the irreplaceable category.

Yikes, I saw the word "Cam" and felt this really toxic deja vu thing, hallucinated balls flying randomly all over the place and some guy stumbling forward toward the end zone.

I don't see how an objective assessment can suggest that Mayo is ready yet.
My assessment is not at all objective, I just don't think it's a good move to hire a HC at the NFL level who hasn't ever been a HC at any level, regardless of how well it has or has not worked out in the past for other teams. Heck, it's not even clear he's even been a DC yet. IMO Mayo should find a good college program to run to raise his stature and get out from under Bill's shadow.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back