PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills are trading C Russell Bodine to the New England Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, he did suck balls in CIN and BUF. Difference is, those teams don’t have an uncle named Scar...

never mind that, he had 1 sack and 5 penalties in the last 1500 snaps. Andrew had 4 penalties and two sacks.

never mind that, he had 1 sack and 5 penalties in the last 1500 snaps. Andrew had 4 penalties and two sacks.
good enough for backup C

Random fact: in high school, Bodine attended Fork Union Military Academy.

Good ol' Fork U. o_O;)

Quite a few NFL players went to Fork Union including Pats Derek Rivers. I am old enough to remember Don Majkowski Green Bay QB went there. Others include Carlos Hyde and Anthony Castonzo, Michael Thomas.

I thought of mentioning Ferentz except he's had moments before this year.

I've only seen Skipper stink.

Fair enough.

I admit that I'm no expert on the O-line and only watched Ferentz because of events this week. But, boy, was it bad! It's one thing to have someone beat you with some fancy pass-rush move, but the defensive lineman was just straight shoving him and he went backwards as if he were on wheels. If he took a snap in earnest like that, he'd get Brady killed.

Hey, I’m happy with the signing. Thanks for the info.

What kind of player are the Patriots getting in Russell Bodine? The man who developed him breaks it down | Boston Sports Journal

General thoughts on Russ Bodine, your experience with him and how he’ll fit with Dante Scarnecchia and what the Patriots do?

I think he’s a perfect fit. Let me say this: he’s one of the toughest human beings I’ve ever been around. Personality-wise, he’s kind of like a Dirty Harry or John Wayne type of guy. Few words, strong backbone personality, decisive type. I think he’s a perfect personality for center. Sometimes he can be a bit abrasive because he’s so frank. But that’s what I liked in him most. He has incredible strength (he did 42 reps on the bench at the combine) and toughness and smarts, and he communicates well. And he does all that. I think he really fits in well with what they do. I think he’s a good pickup for them. He’s not really a wide-zone guy. He’s more of traditional, NFL-style blocky, big — he’s big for a center (6-3, 310) — and he already plays with the type of temperament and tenacity that the Patriots are really known for.

Greg Bedard has interviewed Bodine's OL coach at the Bengals - great article.

What kind of player are the Patriots getting in Russell Bodine? The man who developed him breaks it down | Boston Sports Journal

Key points:
  • "one of the toughest human beings I've ever been around"
  • Great fit for New England (his coach says that Bodine is much better in a power-man scheme than in zone)
  • "He's in the upper tier in football intelligence"
  • But, "he's not exactly nifty..." (no wonder he was bad in zone!)
  • "Handles the bull rush really well", but "more of an issues on twists and blitzes"
  • "Frustrated" in Buffalo

I hope I haven't shared too much - I subscribe to Greg's BostonSportsJournal.com site, and it's been worth every penny. Highly recommended. If I've overstepped my bounds, can the mods please edit/delete my post.

The Bills were will to part ways with him Bodine because he got beat out for the backup position by rookie Ryan Bates, who we acquired from the Eagles for a late-round pick.

It is weird to see an in-division trade, especially to a team that has completely dominated you. Although if you know you are going to cut the guy, why not get some compensation for him. Pats probably upped the offer to a 6th, because he isn't worth that, to ensure they get him rather than hope he clears waivers to him.

Remember, that Bills O-Line last year was terrible, and he didn't even win the starting job out of camp. He ended up replacing Ryan Groy later in the season until an injury ended his season. Even though he has started a lot, there is a reason that teams, no matter how bad they have been, are willing to let these guys walk. Although, Cincy wasn't bad while he was there if I remember correctly they were like always somewhere around 8-8.

I wouldn't be that excited about having him, there have been plenty of fringe players who have come to the Pats and remained exactly that. When you have the GOAT at QB, he makes even bad players seem average, which is why most don't do anything after they left NE.

OK Cinci and Bills fans, we hear you, he sucks.
And yet, each of the past five years, he's beaten out whoever your personnel people brought into camp to compete with him, and has started every game.
So where does the criticism truly rest?
He didn't win the starting job last year. He ended up replacing Groy, but he got beat badly a number of times last year when he was in. Although, our O-Line last year was terrible, so he could be someone who could just not be a liability on a better squad

TIL this only applies to players with four or more NFL seasons

Which includes Bodine. The cap number on his existing contract is also quite reasonable. If he cleared waivers, and he wouldn't have, he'd be looking at a new contract & his number would be higher.

The Bills were will to part ways with him Bodine because he got beat out for the backup position by rookie Ryan Bates, who we acquired from the Eagles for a late-round pick.

It is weird to see an in-division trade, especially to a team that has completely dominated you. Although if you know you are going to cut the guy, why not get some compensation for him. Pats probably upped the offer to a 6th, because he isn't worth that, to ensure they get him rather than hope he clears waivers to him.

Remember, that Bills O-Line last year was terrible, and he didn't even win the starting job out of camp. He ended up replacing Ryan Groy later in the season until an injury ended his season. Even though he has started a lot, there is a reason that teams, no matter how bad they have been, are willing to let these guys walk. Although, Cincy wasn't bad while he was there if I remember correctly they were like always somewhere around 8-8.

I wouldn't be that excited about having him, there have been plenty of fringe players who have come to the Pats and remained exactly that. When you have the GOAT at QB, he makes even bad players seem average, which is why most don't do anything after they left NE.

ahem...wide right...thanks

I'm a little pissed off with that ******* doing that to his baby. He should have been way more gentle.
What a moron. See what living in Western NY does to you.. look like extras from the movie Idiocracy.......

Bodine doesn’t have to be good. Just better than Ferentz. If he’s better than Karras, bonus!

Here's the thing. He's coming to a different scheme. You guys run a zone scheme, We run a power scheme. He's better in a power scheme. It is a key distinction. Besides, unless Karras is a complete failure at the position, which he's never been, Bodine is here as back up to the C/G position. And while he wasn't happy to be a back up in Buffalo, he'll be thrilled to be one here.

BTW- Thanks for your views from Buffalo....really come again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back