PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill the GM/HC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm nitpicking, but "in the salary cap era" is an important part of Brown's point. The salary cap went into effect in 1994, so Polian's accomplishments in Buffalo predate that. That doesn't mean winning 4 straight AFCCGs is unimpressive, just that Polian (and the other GMs he was competing against) didn't have to deal with managing the salary cap.

That's actually not nitpicking. As you say yourself this is a key point about Brown's entire argument. And given that he is usually impeccable with his word -- which makes sense given he has been a lawyer -- the entire formulation was absolutely intentional.

Maybe Matt's Twitter got hacked. Anyone got any Bitcoin?

Yes but...need to take the draft away from him and give to someone else.

Just as easy to say it this way, and just as valid: We had the greatest QB who ever lived because the winning never stopped.
It didn't stop when he was injured in 2008 0r suspended four games in 2016... guess that doesn't fit the ridiculous narrative though.

Coach: GOAT
GM: Good enough

Pretty Simple.

We are about to find out I think. We have no decent QB in house or prospect so we will see if Bill's GM and coaching "magic" can still save the day.

Brady doesn't win jack shyte w/o great defenses on the other side of the ball.

Last edited:
This is a tough conversation to have without agreement on what the GM rating criteria are, and how to weight them. Some to consider:
  • creating and maintaining a personnel philosophy
  • managing the cap, in the current year and years going forward
  • managing the salary structure of the team, with players in relation to each other, and to players on other teams
  • selecting, hiring, supervising a personnel organization
  • building a roster with an eye toward who the competition will be in the next 1-3 years
  • ongoing and constant evaluation of personnel on other NFL teams
  • trades
  • foreign player scouting
  • recruiting free agents once they've decided on who they want
  • the college draft and the college scouting to support it
What else?
And how would you rank those duties in terms of their relative importance?

I'd suggest that in evaluating GM's, we over weight the college draft because of its visibility.
I alluded to a few of these in OP but I'd say in rough order ...

Roster/Cap management of your own and other teams (aware of FA, who's happy/who's not around the league, pending cap situation elsewhere)

Build and play to your strengths. From personnel to philosophy. Build, preach and lead what you think works. If you don't buy in, others won't.

The draft. Cheap talent that can put you over the top faster than FA imo. Even with the increased cap teams are constantly, forever trying to get ahead or save $.
Most of the time you're trying to re-coach or teach habits out of players. Trying to mold them into "your guys" , so getting to them young, cheap and hungry can be key.
FA is basically "what you see is what you get". Through the draft you can "get ahead" of certain positions. You might not need a S this year but "prospect X" is perfect for us & we can afford to pay him peanuts for a year or two while our starter is winding down his career.

It's just crucial in so many ways to stay competitive. Get ahead of the curve for a few years. Hopefully a QB contract.

The draft really gives you flexibility and allows you a safe gamble once and a while in a league that is unforgiving when it comes to certain mistakes.

It's also nice to be able go point to guys and say "we brought him up from a pup" or something like that.

More or less those 3-4 things are the most important imo.

I'd say Bill, Loomis, Robinson and Colbert are all top tier imo. Veach has a small sample size and a mixed bag but his hits are soaring rn. Howie, Lynch and Ballard right there as well.

BB is the best Gm of the salary cap era.

even if he’s not, can anyone name 5 guys who were better

Definitely can’t name 5. Most lose their jobs within 5 years so that says something

There’s not a better coach out there, I think as a gm there is noone better picking in late first round than BB. 25-32 a huge majority of his tenure. He also comes up with some nice finds between rounds 5-7 as well as some decent rookie udfa’s.

His 2nd and 3rd round picks are just mostly maddening to the armchairs and I 100% agree with that. Cunningham over Dunlap was one of the worst ones that comes to mind.

I’ll give Ozzie Newsome the edge only because he picked players I really like in that 2-4 range which is the meat of the draft. Loses defenders to free agency and always seems to be able to go in there and plug new guys in. His one big mistake was Flacco and its hard to fault the horrible contract considering he just won the Superbowl. Awful decision for any GM.

I kinda take him out of all conversations or hypotheticals. Sometimes I do the same for the team (Patriots).

But this is where I'm at. Who's been better when you look at everything. The contracts, drafting, keeping a competitive/balanced team. Staying ahead of the curve on just about everything from stats to the player and what you're expecting from them.

Idk I think he's a top 5 all-time coach and gm. I'm very excited to see him add another, perhaps his last chapter in his book.

If you give Brady to 5 other GMs then they are ahead of BB.
According to Patsfans.com, Brady not only had success because of BB, but he wouldn't even had been in the league if not for BB. :rolleyes:

Even some of older fans don't remember how bad the QB play has been since the early 2000's. Brady would've beat somebody out eventually and got a chance.

Brady doesn't win jack shyte w/o great defenses on the other side of the ball.
Brady has definitely had his fair share of blunders in playoff and Super Bowl loses.

He and BB blew many opportunities to win more than they did.

According to Patsfans.com, Brady not only had success because of BB, but he wouldn't even had been in the league if not for BB. :rolleyes:

Even some of older fans don't remember how bad the QB play has been since the early 2000's. Brady would've beat somebody out eventually and got a chance.

remember. 1 team drafted Brady and kept him. devoted An extra roster space toward having an extra QB

So pumped for this.
IMG_20200717_183236.jpg

20200717_184017.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday