Bill Parcells regrets leaving the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
And SINGLE!!!!!

447ae005-7439-4264-9458-c09179078b89-large16x9_Stalkerwith65000texts.JPG

Looks like a Jests fan

And SINGLE!!!!!

447ae005-7439-4264-9458-c09179078b89-large16x9_Stalkerwith65000texts.JPG

quick math: 65000 texts / 24 hours = (approx.) 2700 texts per hour -> 450 texts per minute -> 7 texts per second.
The good news for her is the many Data Entry job listings that require a candidate to be "highly self motivated". But then again hiring managers may think she's a bit over qualified.

So does Parcells put Butler in the game?

Last edited:
I lived in Foxborough from 1988 to 2006. My wife was friends with a real estate agent and Parcell's house was on the the market (no signs hush hush) way before the 96 playoffs and ground was broken for his new house in Jets land. He had moved on. I kind of remember where it was. Close to Plainville.

The whole conversation about the groceries was ********.

Was never a huge Parcells fan, while he had lots of bluster and verbage.. he never won much of anything without BB by his side.

After he left NE he became some "hopeless mercenary" who roamed the NFL kingdom and those teams he took over became mired in mediocrity.. of course there was the '98 Jets.

Can never forgive him for his f...ed up shenanigans he pulled at Superbowl XXXI....

Parcells seemed to like the building process process more than sustained success. Was great at taking a team from crap to good quickly but after the Giants he seemed to either get restless or agitated after 4 or 5 years with a team. Seemed crazy to me at the time why a coach would want to walk away from the Pats after what he had built. Team was loaded with young talent, had bought into his system and seemed primed for a long run. Guess having more control was more important to him. Will always appreciate the fact that he brought the team out of their recent malaise and put them on solid footing but will also blame him for his questionable behavior up to and after the Super Bowl. An important footnote in Pats history but not a Pats HOFer in my book.

What a bunch of self-aggrandizing BS from Parcells !!!!!! That bastard Bullsh!tted his way into the HOF on 4 skills. He was good at building teams and hiring good assistants who he piggybacked a lot of his success off THEIR skills to raise his OWN profile.

His other skill was understanding that he wasn't good enough to do the HARDEST thing in coaching and that is maintaining a good team over the long haul and that he why he was always looking for the next gig even when things looked good where he was. I don't think people know just how hard that is in the NFL Good teams are constantly punished for their excellence while poor teams are rewarded for their incompetence.

(btw- I think a fairer way to draft would be to use the serpentine method FF uses sometimes. That's where the draft order is reversed in the even-numbered rounds. It helps the worse teams in the first round where the best talent is but doesn't batter the better team in round after round)

Parcells sold the Patriots down the river his last year here. As was already stated, he was out the door long before the season ended. He coasted through that season relying on his assistants to do the heavy lifting, while he concentrated on his 4th and best skill, and that was giving press conferences. He was great at it, and thus had the media eating out of his hand. He was the anti-Bellichick in that regard. But with Parcells, it was all about Parcells while the team came second, and that was his fatal flaw. While BB is essentially egoless, and THAT is one of his greatest assets.

Parcells was so good at mesmerizing the media that they are STILL calling for his induction to the Patriots HOF despite the fact that he was just a .500 coach who was negotiating his NEXT job while still under contract to the Pats, and stole CMartin using a tactic that was then had to be outlawed.

I do appreciate Parcells for "putting the Pats on the map" (again) as so many of his booster like to say. But I still think Chuck Fairbanks was at least as good a coach who also put the Pats "on the map" in his era. But I can never forgive the way he left and the reality of his record enough to want him in our HOF.

Last edited:
I regret how he let it be known he was leaving right before Super Bowl and how he stole Curtis Martin.

I think it’s impossible to say what parcells would have done had he stayed here 15-20 years. Impossible because that’s just not what parcells does. I do think had he been the head coach until 04 or 05. They would’ve won multiple superbowls

1. Him and Kraft had a toxic relationship. Kraft at the time was way too hands on. It took Parcells leaving for Belichick later to be able to have roster autonomy later from Kraft. Both guys had to learn / grow
2. Can't count on all the success later and for Parcells to assume he would have gotten even some of that. He's a great team builder to get to the playoffs but never won a ring without Belichick
3. Team would never had had the balls to draft Brady as a 4th QB or to start him when Bledsoe came back

Overall: Goes without saying, counterfactuals aren't provable. Fortunately for us, we're not Parcells. For him, they probably occupy a huge spot in his mind. He had to point out the pieces he put in place on that team... almost like a guy stuck on personnel. "Except Brady, that first Patriots run was all me, sort of. And I coulda done it sooner, maybe."

Not that I took losing Parcells lightly. To me, it's weird that way back when, I thought "OMG our obvious HoF coach has abandoned us! What can we ever hope for!" And then I thought later, when we ended up with BB "Oh great. Martin's gone forever and we get this re-tread Parcells assistant... sigh."

Boy was I wrong. PS, I was also all about how Robert Edwards was going to be this savior at RB... no idea that "triplets" weren't THE model for success, that's all you ever heard: 1 great QB, 1 great WR, 1 great RB... and you too can be a dynasty. Still sad what happened to R.E., and I appreciate what he did while here, and all the hard work he did to make a career happen in the CFL.

So that said, to the above points:

1. Yes this is a good point - Kraft went the opposite direction with BB's HC appearance. He could have gone back on that word at any time, and rumors say that he has done so, but very infrequently. I believe that BB demanded the control that Parcells also demanded and never got.

2. He's woolgathering here on what might have been - to his credit, that's all he says, not that it would have been. Still somewhat disrespectful of his old disciple. Sorry, Coach Parcells, turns out "Gloom" will be a head coach in the NFL. In fact, he's going to go down as the gold standard. You? Not so much -- starting with completely trashing the greatest HC in NFL history at every opportunity.

3. (a) unproven, but any term in this "Drake Equation of the Dynasty" would be sensitive to change. So as you say, possible that we'd never carry 4 QBs, and Brady would be out. Just not proven.
(b) HOWEVER, it's a very well-known phenomenon that if you think a guy is the last coach's guy, he's less protected by concepts like "You can't lose your job to injury" (Considered a universal truth at the time.) BB saw an opportunity in this thinking: Just don't do it. The league isn't there yet, but you are. FA/Salary cap era introduced this brutal swee
ping away of everything but business, as other Patriots continually discovered. Now "you never lose your job to injury" sounds quaint.

I recognize this introduces another counter-factual, but if Parcells stays and starts Drew, I think we lose that SB. Or maybe we win, but a totally different way. Here's the real counter-factual it raises: Keep Belichick's roster ruthlessness out by keeping BB down, and are we still living in "you never lose your job to injury," and players being paid after the math goes bad?

Hmmmmm.

Martin in his prime stays here too. :(
Martin going to the Jets freaking sucked! But if he would've stayed along with Parcells, BB is possibly a head coach elsewhere and Brady is drafted by another team.

I think it’s impossible to say what parcells would have done had he stayed here 15-20 years. Impossible because that’s just not what parcells does. I do think had he been the head coach until 04 or 05. They would’ve won multiple superbowls
It would've been interesting to see who Parcells would've drafted had he still been the coach. Although he may have done better with the draft picks, I don't think they would've made it out of the AFC in '97, '98, '99 or 2000. In fact, I don't think Parcells would've been patient to stay with the team as he usually checks out when his team peaks but can't get over the hump.

Last edited:
Parcells had a huge hand in building the best NE Patriots team ever in the 2003-2004 squad.

No he really didn’t.

Um, ok. :rolleyes:

Willie McGinest
Ted Johnson
Tedi Bruschi
Ty Law
Troy Brown

I’m not even counting Lawyer Milloy who was cut at the start of the 2001 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back