PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Parcells regrets leaving the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pete Carroll wouldn't run the ball on the GD one yard line that night, he wouldn't run it against us in the SB and he won't run the ball today, given the opportunity.

I've never been so mad at this team as I was that night, screaming WHY WON'T YOU RUN THE BALL at Pete as he went up the tunnel.
That's funny. As weird as this sounds, my favorite era of the Pats was the late 90's teams because the talent level in the NFL was a lot better than today. As good as the Pats were, it was still a battle every week and you never know the outcome. And those divisional games......

That's funny. As weird as this sounds, my favorite era of the Pats was the late 90's teams because the talent level in the NFL was a lot better than today. As good as the Pats were, it was still a battle every week and you never know the outcome. And those divisional games......
I'm not sure the talent level is better but the quality of football sure as hell was better back then than it is now.

I'm not sure the talent level is better but the quality of football sure as hell was better back then than it is now.
Maybe "talent level" wasn't the best word as players are obviously bigger, stronger and faster now. However, I just don't think they are as good as the players before the Manning rules. Too many mediocre QB's can throw for 4,000 and get paid $100M. Most of these guys would look like Ryan Leaf playing in the 90's. I remember how teams had to invest in the running game so their QB wouldn't get killed dropping back 40+ times a game. That was suicide back then. LOL. Now a lot teams do it with ease.

If a player rushed for $1,000+ yards, that was considered quite an accomplishment given how every team knew they wanted to run the football. Now if you show up and get enough carries, 1,000 yards is guaranteed.

1,000 yards for a WR was also an accomplishment given how hard it was to get open with DB's getting away with a lot more. Same as above, if you show up and your team doesn't have many other decent WR's, you'll easily get 1,000 yards by default.

If a DE/LB got 10 sacks or over, that was an accomplishment because most teams were run first. Now with teams throwing so much, it gives a pass rusher so many more opportunities.

Maybe "talent level" wasn't the best word as players are obviously bigger, stronger and faster now. However, I just don't think they are as good as the players before the Manning rules. Too many mediocre QB's can throw for 4,000 and get paid $100M. Most of these guys would look like Ryan Leaf playing in the 90's. I remember how teams had to invest in the running game so their QB wouldn't get killed dropping back 40+ times a game. That was suicide back then. LOL. Now a lot teams do it with ease.

If a player rushed for $1,000+ yards, that was considered quite an accomplishment given how every team knew they wanted to run the football. Now if you show up and get enough carries, 1,000 yards is guaranteed.

1,000 yards for a WR was also an accomplishment given how hard it was to get open with DB's getting away with a lot more. Same as above, if you show up and your team doesn't have many other decent WR's, you'll easily get 1,000 yards by default.

If a DE/LB got 10 sacks or over, that was an accomplishment because most teams were run first. Now with teams throwing so much, it gives a pass rusher so many more opportunities.
Well said. Agree

That's funny, because I don't regret Parcells leaving the Patriots at all.

Overrated bully who won thanks to having a certain DC and a GM that could actually draft.

Which part? Quitting before the SuperBowl or colluding with his buddies in the NFL front office to steal Curtis Martin from us? I will never forgive him for that. Or Bill for the Butler debacle.

Thank god he did!!!! Had he remained as coach in 1997-1999...no way do we get Brady...and Belichick would be coaching elsewhere.

I believe Martin was banged up after the Jacksonville game and was used as more of a decoy in the game against the Packers. The Packers were like one big Pro Bowl team. The Pats put up a good fight but they were way over matched. And it's not like that game was a fluke as the Packers went into Foxboro the following year and b**** slapped them again.

Is it just me or did the Pats have the coolest names during the 90's? Ty Law, Chris Slade, Lawyer Milloy, Teddy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Willie Clay, Larry Wigham, Drew Bledsoe, and the coolest FB name ever Sam Gash!

A few years later Gash was trashing Belichick and the Patriots organization during the 31-0 debacle in Buffalo. What was up with that?

Couldn't disagree more. They had a great chance to win that game. Parcel's thought so much about Curtis Martin that he stole him with some shady contract offer but he barely gave him the fing ball in the Super Bowl?!!?! Look it up. I watched that fing game. He was the best offensive player on the field and barely touched the ball. Shameful. That will be the Parcels legacy I remember.

The Packers had no answer for Martin in the 3rd quarter... instead inexplicably they had Drew slinging it with over a quarter left...after removing the double team doing a great job on Reggie White and installing Max Lane and we know what happened. And Vinatieri being told to kick it right to Desmond Howard twice and the second time we know what happened there too.

I remember Parcells was curiously non chalant after the game. All he had to say was "I thought we had a shot oh well" or something like that. As far as I'm concerned Pats didn't have a HC during the game or leading up to it and they were still right there with GB. They were not better than GB on paper (nor were they the best team in the AFC) but in my opinion they had a great shot at the upset.

A few years later Gash was trashing Belichick and the Patriots organization during the 31-0 debacle in Buffalo. What was up with that?
Yea that was curious. I remember thinking at the time he was a Parcells loyalist and was ticked off and how Kraft treated Tuna and how BB and Tuna went at it at the NYJ.

Which part? Quitting before the SuperBowl or colluding with his buddies in the NFL front office to steal Curtis Martin from us? I will never forgive him for that. Or Bill for the Butler debacle.

Anybody know why the Pats didn't resign Martin and Gash before they became free agents? Why didn't the front office want Gash but Tony Carter instead? Since the internet was in it's incubation stage and I lived in California, it seems only people in Boston knew what was happening during that time.

Yea that was curious. I remember thinking at the time he was a Parcells loyalist and was ticked off and how Kraft treated Tuna and how BB and Tuna went at it at the NYJ.
This is how the Pats lost out on Richie Anderson and he instead wanted to play for Parcells in Dallas. You think he regrets that desision watching the Pats win two straight Super Bowls ('03-'04)? The Pats did alright with Larry Centers and Fred McCrary.

Last edited:
I was a Belichick fan when he and Parcells were with the Giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes