PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Press Conference 7:30am (1/8/24)

Yawn, yes I get how you cherry picked one line to totally misunderstand what he was saying. From the article you posted.

Interstingly, Kraft told King that he does not expect to revisit the deal in two years when the below market portion of the contract will kick in with Brady due just $7 million in salary in 2015.

"No, no, no," Kraft told King. "This is a real deal. Look at our track record. We don't do fake deals. The contract we have with Tom Brady is a real contract we will both live by."

What Kraft was saying is that he didn't backload the contract with a lot of funny money that would force the Patriots to either renegotiate with Brady or cut or trade him. That was what Kraft was saying.
Your words
Where is that Kraft quote? If Kraft said he wouldn't pay Brady as a top QB, that would have been a major story in this town. I mean as big as Brady leaving. And Kraft would never say that because Kraft is way too concerned about his image and would never say publicly that he wouldn't pay the greatest QB of all time coming off his sixth Super Bowl win with the team top QB money. Would never happen.
Krafts words.

"I was just trying to stay ahead of the curve. If we were going to have to pay him elite-quarterback money and have elite-quarterback cap numbers, I just didn't think we would be able to build a team. We don't want to have a team where we're paying 18 to 20 percent to a player on the cap.

He literally said HE NEGOTIATED THE CONTRACT and HE WOULDNT PAY HIM ELITE QB MONEY.
Your argument has been disproven by the man’s own words.

It is no use arguing with you. You see everything in black and white and cannot get what Kraft meant.

If he wasn't willing to pay Brady elite money, Brady would have been gone a long time ago. Could he have gotten more money elsewhere, maybe. But he top dollar here and the number show it.

Yawn, yes I get how you cherry picked one line to totally misunderstand what he was saying. From the article you posted.

Interstingly, Kraft told King that he does not expect to revisit the deal in two years when the below market portion of the contract will kick in with Brady due just $7 million in salary in 2015.

"No, no, no," Kraft told King. "This is a real deal. Look at our track record. We don't do fake deals. The contract we have with Tom Brady is a real contract we will both live by."

What Kraft was saying is that he didn't backload the contract with a lot of funny money that would force the Patriots to either renegotiate with Brady or cut or trade him. That was what Kraft was saying.
Actually that part of what Kraft was saying was that the 2015 salary wasn’t fair and he expected him to play for it.
That is one part of what Kraft said. The other part was
"I was just trying to stay ahead of the curve. If we were going to have to pay him elite-quarterback money and have elite-quarterback cap numbers, I just didn't think we would be able to build a team. We don't want to have a team where we're paying 18 to 20 percent to a player on the cap.

Literally the exact words you said there is no way he would say and it couldn’t have happened.

BB love his stooges but I have to admit Josh is his best Stooge he made our Offense look competent. One thing is certain Josh is a good Offensive mind who will never get another shot at another HCing gig he's here forever.
Your right he wouldn't get another HC shot unless it was here right?.. he's a dam good OC and if he's here you rest assured Mac would remain here.

Your words

Krafts words.

Again, he is talking about backloaded contracts.

It is no use arguing with you. You see everything in black and white and cannot get what Kraft meant.

If he wasn't willing to pay Brady elite money, Brady would have been gone a long time ago. Could he have gotten more money elsewhere, maybe. But he top dollar here and the number show it.
It is very clear what Kraft meant. There is nothing vague in his words.

He never paid Brady top dollar, and when that bothered Brady he left. In what world do you think he was willing to pay Brady top dollar? He literally said he won’t do it.

No he isn’t.
He was talking about
1) was the 7 mill phony and would they have to gives raise (he said no)
2) would he pay elite qb $ (he said no)

The words you quoted are the OPPOSITE of backloaded contracts.

This comment says king asked if they have to redo the deal in 2015 because his could Brady okay for 7 mill and Kraft says NOPE he will have to okay for 7 mill

What words in that article say anything about backloaded contracts?

He never paid Brady top dollar, and when that bothered Brady he left. In what world do you think he was willing to pay Brady top dollar? He literally said he won’t do it.

Obviously it isn't.

And they paid Brady top dollar. He might not have gotten the most money any QB, but people have shown that Brady got paid among the highest paid players in the league. The Pats didn't give him a lot funny deals with bogus money like we see in the league.

And the Bucs gave Brady the same contract the Patriots offered. They gave him two years, $50 million ($25 million a year) when he left New England. Not two years, $70 million ($35 million a year).

No he isn’t.
He was talking about
1) was the 7 mill phony and would they have to gives raise (he said no)
2) would he pay elite qb $ (he said no)

Kraft said that in the final years of the deal, Brady would have $7 million a year which wouldn't need to be renegotiated rather than $20 million a year with $13 million being a roster bonus or something like that that would require the Pats to renegotiate the deal or cut or trade him.

If you look at the way contracts are made in the NFL, Most of them are really only two or three year deals with a funny money at the end. The Pats didn't play that game. They gave real contracts which would like like below market deals, but if the player performed they end up getting market deals.

It's disingenuous though. Brady wanted multi-year commitment, not to be the highest paid QB. I don't think there is any doubt that he would have stayed had the Pats offered the same 2-year, $50m deal TB offered. $25m a year is not elite QB money. It's mid-level, I think he was tied 15th in his salary '20 (probably even lower in '21). That's also not even taking into account the $15m or so dead-cap hit the Pats took in '20 by letting him walk. Kraft was just trying to make an excuse, a lousy one.

Rob, Andy….fellas. Take the recall argument to the Brady forum. You both bring good **** to the table, let’s not muddy up these threads with the same ol ******** please. It’s old.

Sorry, I won't hijack the thread anymore.

And yes, Belichick did call lynch back six or seven months later and offered Garoppolo which is in line with Wickersham's account that Kraft told Belichick to trade him after he sided with Brady.
It's not in line with Wickersham at all.

Lynch called Belichick. They hung up. Belichick called right back. It was an afterthought, and he offered Garoppolo there. He didn't call up Lynch offering Garoppolo.

It's disingenuous though. Brady wanted multi-year commitment, not to be the highest paid QB. I don't think there is any doubt that he would have stayed had the Pats offered the same 2-year, $50m deal TB offered. $25m a year is not elite QB money. It's mid-level, I think he was tied 15th in his salary '20 (probably even lower in '21). That's also not even taking into account the $15m or so dead-cap hit the Pats took in '20 by letting him walk. Kraft was just trying to make an excuse, a lousy one.
How can we say there was no doubt he would take that deal when Brady showed up on Ross's yacht prior to the 2019 season with the intention of moving on to the Dolphins (when he was still under contract to the Patriots)? Clearly Brady had intentions to leave before any of the contract squabbles later on.

I mean, what else would you make of that news about Brady?

Here's the amazing thing: no one has ever asked Brady what was he doing on that yacht? It's almost like the whole incident was swept under the rug. Including by the NFL. The Phins lost a draft pick -- BUT the Patriots didn't GET a draft pick despite being hurt by the Phins.

Obviously it isn't.

And they paid Brady top dollar. He might not have gotten the most money any QB, but people have shown that Brady got paid among the highest paid players in the league. The Pats didn't give him a lot funny deals with bogus money like we see in the league.

And the Bucs gave Brady the same contract the Patriots offered. They gave him two years, $50 million ($25 million a year) when he left New England. Not two years, $70 million ($35 million a year).
It’s only not clear because you want to pretend words mean different things than they do.

Which contact did the patriots give Brady that represented top dollar? You have the ability to answer with specifics because there are facts, yet you choose to be vague. Wonder why?

The real point here is that Kraft was negotiating the Brady contracts.
The “won’t pay elite $” only came up because it was part of the proof Kraft was pulling the strings and the other poster decided to die on the hill that quoted words never happened, before dying on that hill that words don’t mean what they mean.

Rob, Andy….fellas. Take the recall argument to the Brady forum. You both bring good **** to the table, let’s not muddy up these threads with the same ol ******** please. It’s old.
But it’s not old. Many on this board still think belichick wouldn’t pay Brady when the facts indicate it was krafts decision.

Kraft said that in the final years of the deal, Brady would have $7 million a year which wouldn't need to be renegotiated rather than $20 million a year with $13 million being a roster bonus or something like that that would require the Pats to renegotiate the deal or cut or trade him.

If you look at the way contracts are made in the NFL, Most of them are really only two or three year deals with a funny money at the end. The Pats didn't play that game. They gave real contracts which would like like below market deals, but if the player performed they end up getting market deals.
No he didn’t say that. You made that up.

The question was whether Brady would come back in 2015 for more money because he would be severely under paid and Kraft said 7 mill is good for him.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back