PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 OT/PTP Thread

Even though the majority of his snaps at Chattanooga came at left guard, Strange has experience in other spots as well. He started one game at center in 2019 and another at left tackle in 2021. He also has a handful of snaps at right tackle on his résumé.

Thanks... Still, not exactly the same situation as Mankin$, in which he was Fresno State's starting LT.

Thanks... Still, not exactly the same situation as Mankin$, in which he was Fresno State's starting LT.
Yes. Cole had 44 starts but only two at LT his senior year.

In the post season game he was featured at center, not tackle.

Last edited:
It's just a theme that's been present throughout. It speaks to the athleticism and versatility they want. Like if they didnt just draft Strange I'd say Skoronski was a lock. It's just a crumb to look for and when input the board together. If I know they're not taking a certain position until a certain round it helps with keeping the number as realistic as possible.

I think Carter Warren, the Pittsburgh multi year LT who only played four games last year is underrated. Played in 40 games with 39 starts at LT. Solid in pass pro. Look at the tape in 2021 against Clemson where the Panthers had 464 total yards of offense and dominated time of possession, all led by their LT, Carter Warren.

Why this guy isn’t in the mix of OT discussion baffles me. He’s not in BaconGrundle’s PTP spreadsheet , for example.

35” arms, great character who’s a leader in the locker room, and hails from a wonderful family, this is a possible late round gem who can sit in reserve this year behind Trent Brown at LT and then take over.

Perfect for early in day 3.

Last edited:
I’ve been watching Blake freeland of byu. He been fairly impressive in his pass sets and overall pass protection. Moves pretty good and has ok knee bend. Could probably sink his hips better, and definitely needs to get much stronger. But as a second round pick, this guy could start at tackle for us next year.
I was thinking of him. Reminds a lot of us of Nate Solder. Great athlete and very tall.

But he needs to gain weight. I fear he is susceptible to a bull rush.

But drafting him now gives him a year behind Reiff and Brown to get bigger and grow stronger.

Plus, we likely can draft him in the third round, which allows us to focus on other areas of concern for the first two rounds.

I was thinking of him. Reminds a lot of us of Nate Solder. Great athlete and very tall.

But drafting him now gives him a year behind Reiff and Brown to get bigger and grow stronger.

Plus, we likely can draft him in the third round, which allows us to focus on other areas of concern for the first two rounds.

He is 6'8", almost too tall. Sneaky (and surprisingly for me) good athleticism. Not a stiff. Seems like he is not finished filling out so a bit of a projection pick. Team captain and good guy. R3 for sure. R2 I am not sure, #46 feels too early for a Y1 project. If we trade down and get a later R2 pick, then yes.

All true... But man he looked AWFUL in the Senior Bowl.

i think we need a Tackle in the 1st or 2nd round, even if we have to reach to do it.

The more I mock, the more terrified I am of not getting one of the top 6 LT prospects by the time its our turn in round 2. We desperately need young talent to come in at the OT positions and soon... it will look really grim for us if we don't find a quality starter, unless they have plans to trade for a veteran or target an elite one coming out in FA next year, but its unlikely at elite T is going to hit FA

I think Matthew Bergeron, the Syracuse LT/RT from Quebec, is going up teams’ draft boards. I want us to trade down, but we may have to slightly reach at this position. He is now projecting early to mid second round. I like his versatility to play both sides and the interior.

Mel Kiper in his recent mock has us taking him in the second round.

Bergeron is my back up plan. I liked him a lot better in the 3rd but the demand for the position will probably push him into the 2nd. At this point nothing will surprise me.

These are the options I like

1st: trade down a few spots and take Darnell Wright
2nd: trade up from 46 and take Anton Harrison
3rd: Tyler Steen
4th: trade the pick and maybe another mid rounder for Jonah Williams.
Late round: Jake Witt obviously

@BaconGrundleCandy , I'm seeing a lot of Chandler Zavala buzz over the past week or two. He's completely off my radar, haven't seen him at all to be honest. What's the skinny?

I know he's not an OT, but I can't find the IOL thread

@BaconGrundleCandy , I'm seeing a lot of Chandler Zavala buzz over the past week or two. He's completely off my radar, haven't seen him at all to be honest. What's the skinny?

I know he's not an OT, but I can't find the IOL thread
Was late on IOL and just decided against making a thread with the addition of Strange. Zavala has prototype body/frame. Plus arms and hands. Tough guy that wins with above average hands, balance and savvy. Really takes care of his duties at the line. Reliable and smart. Good get off limited false steps. Strong hands, good lateral movements. Rarely fooled by designed games. Power player. Multi sport athlete. Probably going a little early for us. Think hes a top 100 guy so probably not in the cards but is a fit.

RT at Western Kentucky where he protected Bailey Zappe. Very effective.

Transferred to Ole Miss where he was miscast as a guard.

Perfect pick if we acquire a fifth-rounder.

Good arm length, multiple year starter, smart and tough.

The more I read about and watch Darnell Wright, the more I'm convinced he could play LT.

...and even if he can't, I'm pretty confident he'd be a top notch RT,

High floor, high ceiling. I'd be OK with him at #14.

The more I read about and watch Darnell Wright, the more I'm convinced he could play LT.

...and even if he can't, I'm pretty confident he'd be a top notch RT,

High floor, high ceiling. I'd be OK with him at #14.
I have a feeling that Skoronski and Paris Johnson Jr. will be gone by 14. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats pick Wright at 14 in this scenario over Broderick Jones Jr.

I would prefer that the Pats trade back and see if they can get Wright at 16 or 19 instead but that is a gamble that could leave them without an OT in the first. If the Pats can't get one of the top 4 lineman in the first, or Dawand Jones in the second, I'd like to see them double up in the 3rd/4th with guys like Steen, Freeland, Warren, Morris or Saldiveri. If they are going to draft a player who is less of sure thing I'd like to see them get two of them just in case.

I think one of Broderick Jones, Peter Skoronski and Paris Johnson Jr should be available at 14, maybe even two?

The likelihood is it being Jones, who I'd like most out of the 3 of them.

I have a feeling that Skoronski and Paris Johnson Jr. will be gone by 14. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats pick Wright at 14 in this scenario over Broderick Jones Jr.

I would prefer that the Pats trade back and see if they can get Wright at 16 or 19 instead but that is a gamble that could leave them without an OT in the first. If the Pats can't get one of the top 4 lineman in the first, or Dawand Jones in the second, I'd like to see them double up in the 3rd/4th with guys like Steen, Freeland, Warren, Morris or Saldiveri. If they are going to draft a player who is less of sure thing I'd like to see them get two of them just in case.

I think there are going to be a few "surprises" in the draft because of the lack of Elite talent at WR and how the QB class is being over-touted. I mean, I saw one Mock that had QBs going with the first 4 picks in the draft. While that would be fantastic for the Pats, I don't believe it's going to happen.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back