PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 OT/PTP Thread

Jets are likely taking an OT just before us. We’ve already done the Vernon Gholston trick on them. They seem to have their act together now.

At 14: Broderick Jones, si; Peter Skon, quizas.

Can he eventually swap places with a bigger butt Cole Strange? Assuming the latter is stronger and heavier in the lower half.

If Strange can handle LT, that would be an athletic tough hombre left side.

Jets are likely taking an OT just before us. We’ve already done the Vernon Gholston trick on them. They seem to have their act together now.

At 14: Broderick Jones, si; Peter Skon, quizas.

Can he eventually swap places with a bigger butt Cole Strange? Assuming the latter is stronger and heavier in the lower half.

If Strange can handle LT, that would be an athletic tough hombre left side.
Almost everyone has an OT going to the Jets, but I feel like they still believe in Beckton. I'm surprised they haven't traded him yet, and maybe him still being there means they won't try and draft an LT.

I am sticking with my prediction that 3 OTs will be gone by #14, for the reasons stated above by @DaBruinz. I’ve felt this way since I came to the conclusion last fall that the OT situation is a fiasco and not just because they were getting poorly coached. Year in, year out, teams just always seem to be in the market for OT and pass rushers. It’s like what @patfanken has been saying for a long time, the guys with an elite level combination of size and agility are rare and always in high demand. Even then they often bust, so there’s obviously a lot more to it.

Of the teams currently ahead of the Pats, I think the Raiders, Bears, Titans, and Green Slime are strong possibilities to take an OT. Certainly it’s also possible that another team or two, such as the Falcons or even the Cardinals, could surprise and go for an OT, or another team trading up for one. However, the top OT prospects are, IMHO not the clearly elite level guys we’ve seen in the past, they all have evident areas for concern, so for me the teams to watch on this are those first four I mentioned above.

Skoronski is the X factor for me here. I assume that due to the short arms he’ll be drafted as an OG but it would not surprise me if there may be a team or two that sees him differently, or if they want an OG. Last year the first OG was taken at #15 and the second at #17 so it’s not crazy to think a team may want Skoronski before #14.

With that said, I’m expecting Johnson, B. Jones, and D. Wright to be picked before #14 and would hope the Pats take any of them if available at #14. If those 3 OTs are gone I’d be more than OK with Witherspoon or Gonzalez at #14, but if they’re gone also (which I expect) I’d hope for a trade down to the early 20s and a pick in the 2nd round, with one of those 3 picks being the future LT1.

I am sticking with my prediction that 3 OTs will be gone by #14, for the reasons stated above by @DaBruinz. I’ve felt this way since I came to the conclusion last fall that the OT situation is a fiasco and not just because they were getting poorly coached. Year in, year out, teams just always seem to be in the market for OT and pass rushers. It’s like what @patfanken has been saying for a long time, the guys with an elite level combination of size and agility are rare and always in high demand. Even then they often bust, so there’s obviously a lot more to it.

Of the teams currently ahead of the Pats, I think the Raiders, Bears, Titans, and Green Slime are strong possibilities to take an OT. Certainly it’s also possible that another team or two, such as the Falcons or even the Cardinals, could surprise and go for an OT, or another team trading up for one. However, the top OT prospects are, IMHO not the clearly elite level guys we’ve seen in the past, they all have evident areas for concern, so for me the teams to watch on this are those first four I mentioned above.

Skoronski is the X factor for me here. I assume that due to the short arms he’ll be drafted as an OG but it would not surprise me if there may be a team or two that sees him differently, or if they want an OG. Last year the first OG was taken at #15 and the second at #17 so it’s not crazy to think a team may want Skoronski before #14.

With that said, I’m expecting Johnson, B. Jones, and D. Wright to be picked before #14 and would hope the Pats take any of them if available at #14. If those 3 OTs are gone I’d be more than OK with Witherspoon or Gonzalez at #14, but if they’re gone also (which I expect) I’d hope for a trade down to the early 20s and a pick in the 2nd round, with one of those 3 picks being the future LT1.
I agree with your take on Skoronski. It might be wise to remember that Matt Light was another guy who "everyone" felt would be moved to LG as a pro, and HE had a very good, but not great career at LT for over a decade. As an aside, for most of that decade I was the one who led the charge to move light to LT where instead over being very good at LT he'd be GREAT at LG. Probably a good thing Bill is listening to me. ;)

Food for thought...

Almost everyone has an OT going to the Jets, but I feel like they still believe in Beckton. I'm surprised they haven't traded him yet, and maybe him still being there means they won't try and draft an LT.

This is correct. Because they still believe in Becton, I think the JETE will go with Skoronski because he has the flexibility to play inside and out to cover for Becton if necessary. The JETE don't necessarily need a tackle, but might, so Skoronski is the best bet for them IMO. I doubt the Pats pick Skoronski, we need a tackle.

A physically gifted but inexperienced LT with 33.5” arms (he’s 6’7”) is suddenly getting a lot of attention by the League.

A physically gifted but inexperienced LT with 33.5” arms (he’s 6’7”) is suddenly getting a lot of attention by the League.

Witt being brought in for a Top 30 visit is surprising. I don't believe that Strange got any of those last year...

Not to me. He is looking like a Nate Solder type. Just a very limited supply of nimble footed tall guys with strength and power out there. Teams are super intrigued by this Jake Witt from Northern Michigan.

Not to me. He is looking like a Nate Solder type. Just a very limited supply of nimble footed tall guys with strength and power out there. Teams are super intrigued by this Jake Witt from Northern Michigan.
They should be, after the first 3 rounds that position is hollow and these type of potential players are all that’s left. Assuming there is a lot of homework being done this season.

My iPad’s getting somewhat old and slow, so I’m totally ready for Thursday night at this point. There‘s probably only one of the currently projected 1st round guys whose selection will result in the iPad taking flight: B. Branch. But I never underestimate Belichick’s “Strange” ability to frustrate me during Round 1.

Last edited:
I've said for a few weeks that these 1st round tackles aren't great. Skoronski projects better at guard; Jones is really raw and inexperienced but has athletic upside; Wright has questions about his work ethic and if he's only a RT; and Johnson is probably the best of the the lot was has some strength issues. I would probably take Johnson at 14 but not Jones or Wright. I would be disappointed if we took a project like Jones at 14, that's the sort of guy you take in the late 1st or 2nd really.

I'm all aboard Nolan Smith at 14 personally.

If only Jaelyn Duncan had the fire in his belly that Cody Mauch has, he could be the next Anthony Munoz. But look at the face. Too lackadaisical.

He has all the tools but that. Grit.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back