PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 CB/PTP Thread

Who are your referring to, BCG? Stingley or Gardner?
Gardner

Stingley has his own concerns. He's checked out of games. Been preparing for the draft for years. Love it when he's locked in but he's been a little disappointing in that regard. Still an amazing prospect.

Gardner

Stingley has his own concerns. He's checked out of games. Been preparing for the draft for years. Love it when he's locked in but he's been a little disappointing in that regard. Still an amazing prospect.
Do you think there is a chance Stingley drops to the patriots, and would they take him if so? Is he a fit?

Do you think there is a chance Stingley drops to the patriots,
Slim, 10-15%. Doubt he'll ever make it to 21. Might have to be a small trade up. Yea he's really good when he's focused.
and would they take him if so? Is he a fit?
I don't think he's a headcase or anything. Little bit of a diva but Bill has managed those types if their head is in the game. Everyone is on the same page.

Slim, 10-15%. Doubt he'll ever make it to 21. Might have to be a small trade up. Yea he's really good when he's focused.

I don't think he's a headcase or anything. Little bit of a diva but Bill has managed those types if their head is in the game. Everyone is on the same page.
I watched some Stingley highlights and wow. He covers like a rug. He seems equally adept at zone and man coverage. I don't think he is an athletic freak like Sauce Gardner nor does he have elite hands (good hands but not elite), but, whew, he can play. There is no way that Gardner or Stingley last until 21. I suspect that Gardner goes before pick 9 and Stingley around 15....at the latest--remember that teams are desperate for CB help. It is the hardest position to fill, maybe even harder than QB.

I know he'll be gone. Guys are over-drafted every year but he's not worth a top ten pick is what I'm saying. He's not even the best CB in the class.

I'm just as interested in a prospects actual value in the long run as the short term. Just in the same way QB's will be over-drafted. Right now everything in "consensus" lots of groupthink. It never works out that way though. Fine prospect but top ten picks should be used on JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, J Ramsey types. He's not in that tier.

It is hard to say. I suspect that a few teams will think he is the next coming of Jalen Ramsey; in which case he is gone in the top 5. He certainly looks the part on the highlights I saw, but highlights only show the good plays not the blown coverages.

I just saw some Gardner versus Jameson Williams on tape and Sauce had him covered. If I had a pick in the top 5, I would take Gardner, no question. When you have a guy that erases the top WR, if frees up a safety; it is like having an extra player on the field.

It is hard to say. I suspect that a few teams will think he is the next coming of Jalen Ramsey; in which case he is gone in the top 5. He certainly looks the part on the highlights I saw, but highlights only show the good plays not the blown coverages.

I just saw some Gardner versus Jameson Williams on tape and Sauce had him covered. If I had a pick in the top 5, I would take Gardner, no question. When you have a guy that erases the top WR, if frees up a safety; it is like having an extra player on the field.

Watch Elam on Metchie and Williams. Not the biggest corner, but seems very competitive. If we could drop back and pick up a 2nd and 3rd (@captain stone 's idea) and take Elam late 1st or early 2nd, I would go with that. Sign Flowers to help at DE, and pick Jones at DT in mid 2nd round. Need a LB and OL in the 3rd. Fills a lot of holes. I am not a true believer in a WR this year - maybe Metchie slips.

Someone posted a trade of us sending number 21 to Green Bay for number 28, a third round and a seventh round pick.

I think a trade like that helps us a ton and provides bb the opportunity to trade down with Detroit or the giants for another third round pick,!

Someone posted a trade of us sending number 21 to Green Bay for number 28, a third round and a seventh round pick.

I think a trade like that helps us a ton and provides bb the opportunity to trade down with Detroit or the giants for another third round pick,!
I brought up Detroit a few weeks ago. They have 32 & 36 or something like that but they're probably the most attractive swap I see.

Watch Elam on Metchie and Williams. Not the biggest corner, but seems very competitive. If we could drop back and pick up a 2nd and 3rd (@captain stone 's idea) and take Elam late 1st or early 2nd, I would go with that. Sign Flowers to help at DE, and pick Jones at DT in mid 2nd round. Need a LB and OL in the 3rd. Fills a lot of holes. I am not a true believer in a WR this year - maybe Metchie slips.

Wow, yes, he appears to be able to run with anyone, at least on this tape. He does not have elite hands, he can cover and reach around for the breakup. Since he has good size and ran well at the Combine, you gotta believe that he will not get out of the first round. He did not run the three-cone drill, but in looking at the tape, this guy is the real deal. He would look great in a Patriots uniform.

If you cannot or will not draft Jameson Williams, you might as well draft a guy who can cover him!!

I looked up his projection and he was projected to go in the late first round. As usual, the draft gurus are wrong; remember that teams are desperate for CB help and he will go earlier than that.

Wow, yes, he appears to be able to run with anyone, at least on this tape. He does not have elite hands, he can cover and reach around for the breakup. Since he has good size and ran well at the Combine, you gotta believe that he will not get out of the first round. He did not run the three-cone drill, but in looking at the tape, this guy is the real deal. He would look great in a Patriots uniform.

If you cannot or will not draft Jameson Williams, you might as well draft a guy who can cover him!!

I looked up his projection and he was projected to go in the late first round. As usual, the draft gurus are wrong; remember that teams are desperate for CB help and he will go earlier than that.

I think the Pats value DE, OT, LB, and CB as premier positions, so if Elam is there at 21 I think we will take him. There is always the case when they will target another someone like Dugger and drop back to add picks, but my guess after losing Jackson is that we will pick a corner at 21. It will be interesting if both Elam or Booth or another top CB is available and Chenal is there too - which one will they pick?

Last edited:
With JC gone now I’m in the camp of getting the CB first then DT, DE, ILB, or WR. Getting Elam and Jones with the first two would be ideal but I don’t know how they could pull that off because of while I think Elam would be there a 21 I don’t think Jones will be there at 54 and I’m skeptical about their ability to trade into the right slots to get them both.

I still very much favor a trade down to a spot where Elam or Booth may remain and then take the best athlete available that fits the Pats intended scheme with the next pick, hoping for Farrell later if Jones is gone when they get to their second pick.

I think the Pats value DE, OT, LB, and CB as premier positions, so if Elam is there at 21 I think we will take him. There is always the case when they will target another someone like Dugger and drop back to add picks, but my guess after losing Jackson is that we will pick a corner at 21. It will be interesting if both Elam or Booth or another top CB is available and Chenal is there too - which one will they pick?

No matter where our first picks lands, as of now it almost HAS to be a CB... Unless maybe one of George Karlaftis, Travon Walker or Jermaine Johnson slips through the cracks...

No matter where our first picks lands, as of now it almost HAS to be a CB... Unless maybe one of George Karlaftis, Travon Walker or Jermaine Johnson slips through the cracks...

Jermaine Johnson would be great. The other two will never slip through.

Wow, this guy isn't ranked really high and I was hoping to get him with one of our 6th rounders. But his play and combine testing probably pushed him higher up the draft board. Of course NFL teams have all the film they need on this guy and the interviews he attended but he no longer looks like a late round pick.
I know I said he could be a "gem like Dugger" but I didn't mean a 2nd rounder, just someone from a smaller school (Dugger was really small school) who excelled. I think the times Zyon got burned he was maybe testing himself to see what he can get away with and what he needs to do to remedy those mistakes. I will put him on my list of guys to follow.
Decided to take a look at the CB 3cone/20shuttle scores, and it looks like this guy was the only one with the stones to test despite the supposedly new format (hence a lot of people avoiding it like all RBs but I can't confirm this info). Absolutely rocked it with the best 3cone ever by a CB (6.48), a sick 3.94 shuttle, and a 4.33 40 (1.46 10yd split - insane!). 21.06mph at Senior Bowl practices. I'm a sucker for speed, so here I am. Basically same height/weight as Jakobi per NFL Combine measurements (6'2"/199).

Sam Houston SU won the FCS in 2021 in between NDSU's wins in 2020 and 2022, so they're theoretically legit (as they can be I guess). Per Profootballnetwork, Zyon was supposedly a 3 star recruit but wanted to go where his twin brother could go - initially to the Utes (rescinded) but eventually to SHSU closer to home which is Galveston. 22'7" in the LJ is no slouch (Tyreek 23'11" and MarquiseG with HS record 26'10"). Indirectly watched a lot of him during SHSU's win against NDSU in FCS quarters in '21. Initially started watching SHSU v NDSU FCS Semi, and thought he looked not great, but realized it was his frosh year in '17. Did get beat by CWatson on a 2pt conversion in '21, but Watson did very little that day as a receiver, otherwise (not like he gets his opptys in that offense esp with a true frosh at QB).

Jalyn Armour-Davis of Alabama is kinda under the radar. Everything you'd want athletically and physically but only a one year starter and looks quite raw at times. Can be indecisive and unsure of himself. He could be coached up to be a pretty good player though.

Jalyn Armour-Davis of Alabama is kinda under the radar. Everything you'd want athletically and physically but only a one year starter and looks quite raw at times. Can be indecisive and unsure of himself. He could be coached up to be a pretty good player though.

He did not give up a touchdown all year in the sec! This kid is worth a look.

He did not give up a touchdown all year in the sec! This kid is worth a look.

I wouldn't mind either him or his teammate Josh Jobe sometime during day 3 as part 2 of a CB double-dip.

I wouldn't mind either him or his teammate Josh Jobe sometime during day 3 as part 2 of a CB double-dip.
Saban will be giving bb a complete run down on him, since as a one year starter, the tape is limited.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back