PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 CB/PTP Thread

Does Tariq Woolen remind anyone else of Brandon Browner? I wonder how he'll run. Looks like he could play multiple positions. Cover TE's, outside X, deep safety, helps with the run, plays physical. Thought I heard about some character issues but nothing new. 3rd round prospect?
I listened to a recent draft podcast that had him running 22mph during senior bowl week. If so, he will be one of the fastest risers in the coming weeks.
In fact i have already seen evidence of this in mock drafts. The other player supposedly rising up draft boards significantly is Tulsa LT Tyler Smith.

Does Tariq Woolen remind anyone else of Brandon Browner? I wonder how he'll run. Looks like he could play multiple positions. Cover TE's, outside X, deep safety, helps with the run, plays physical. Thought I heard about some character issues but nothing new. 3rd round prospect?

I think Woolen's a Day 3 guy, 5th-6th round maybe... He might actually run fairly well, but there's still gonna be instincts issues...

I think Woolen's a Day 3 guy, 5th-6th round maybe... He might actually run fairly well, but there's still gonna be instincts issues...
Players wore gps during senior bowl week. They had Woolen running 22 mph on at least one play. That is great play speed. I think he will be a day 2 guy.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Out of your PTP CB players, who do you think will be priority UDFAs ala Jonathan Jones, Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson?

@BaconGrundleCandy - Out of your PTP CB players, who do you think will be priority UDFAs ala Jonathan Jones, Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson?
Finishing up a thread on the draft in the main. Each position. Pats fits. Early-late. Pats big board. Draft strategies. Started it last night but fell asleep, again lol.

Hudson Clark

Tiawan Mullen

TJ Carter

Jaylon Jones

It's extremely hard to have sleepers at CB. Unless they are special scheme fits, they just have to be good, and everyone knows who is good. Relatively speaking. It's also difficult to scout corners, so I am less motivated to dive deep into the list of prospects.

My favorite CB is Kaiir Elam. Reminds me of Aqib Talib, and I just think he's going to have a long career of being very good and very balanced as a corner.

Sauce Gardner, Andrew Booth, Trent McDuffie, Kyler Gordon... All of these guys are good too. Derek Stingley is a bit of a risk, but he could be generational.

Last edited:
It's extremely hard to have sleepers at CB. Unless they are special scheme fits, they just have to be good, and everyone knows who is good. Relatively speaking. It's also difficult to scout corners, so I am less motivated to dive deep into the list of prospects.

My favorite CB is Kaiir Elam. Reminds me of Aqib Talib, and I just think he's going to have a long career of being very good and very balanced as a corner.

Sauce Gardner, Andrew Booth, Trent McDuffie, Kyler Gordon... All of these guys are good too. Derek Stingley is a bit of a risk, but he could be generational.

If we could trade our 1st-rounder to Detroit, Jax or Little Nicky for an extra Day 2 pick, an extra Day 3 pick & a 5th next year (or 2 extra Day 3s), then with our new pick I would very seriously consider gambling on greatness with Kyler Gordon, ahead of Roger McCreary... I wouldn't be surprised if all of Elam, Gardner, Booth, McDuffie & Stingley are gone by the the end of the 1st round anyway.

Martin Emerson is a day 3 sleeper. He plays press man and has some skills, needs help with technique.

Martin Emerson is a day 3 sleeper. He plays press man and has some skills, needs help with technique.

Yep, and depending on the severity of the early-round run on CBs, I wouldn't be shocked to see him taken by the end of the 3rd round...

Finishing up a thread on the draft in the main. Each position. Pats fits. Early-late. Pats big board. Draft strategies. Started it last night but fell asleep, again lol.

Hudson Clark

Tiawan Mullen

TJ Carter

Jaylon Jones
What thread on the draft in the main?

What thread on the draft in the main?

Marcus Jones could be an interesting guy depending on how he runs. Is a pure slot guy, however his special team value as a returner could be very interesting

I think jobe is a 4th round talent, maybe late 3rd. He has tremendous talent, but just never puts the pieces together and shuts down receivers.

Burks absolutely ate jobe’s lunch, read his mail and stole his dog when they played this past year!

It was uglier than a jets fan in a police lineup!

Yeah I wouldn't look for him until the beginning of Day 3, though I really hope that Bill has already drafted a CB by then... a good one this time, for once...

Marcus Jones could be an interesting guy depending on how he runs. Is a pure slot guy, however his special team value as a returner could be very interesting

I like jones a lot. Jones is really quick and twitchy, and his return skills should have bb’s attention.

I like jones a lot. Jones is really quick and twitchy, and his return skills should have bb’s attention.

Dude's tiny though, and we have at least numbers at Slot CB... Not what I'm looking for right now in a Day 2-caliber prospect at that position; gotta be an Outside CB.

Dude's tiny though, and we have at least numbers at Slot CB... Not what I'm looking for right now in a Day 2-caliber prospect at that position; gotta be an Outside CB.

If jones takes over for mccourty at free safety, hall can slide into the slot corner spot.

And while hall is tiny, he is fairly thick, stout and makes plays. Bb has done more with less.

If jones takes over for mccourty at free safety, hall can slide into the slot corner spot.

And while hall is tiny, he is fairly thick, stout and makes plays. Bb has done more with less.

Jonathan Jones at Free Safety? He's only a little bigger than Marcus Jones himself.

Please tell me you weren't among those advocating Myles Bryant as a possible FS too...

I am looking forward to see how Zyon McCollum tests. He looks legit. He blankets receivers and QB's still throw at him. Dumb coaching I guess. He also tackles well. Could be a gem like Kyle Dugger. I didn't watch the Senior Bowl so not sure how he fared.

Wow, this guy isn't ranked really high and I was hoping to get him with one of our 6th rounders. But his play and combine testing probably pushed him higher up the draft board. Of course NFL teams have all the film they need on this guy and the interviews he attended but he no longer looks like a late round pick.
I know I said he could be a "gem like Dugger" but I didn't mean a 2nd rounder, just someone from a smaller school (Dugger was really small school) who excelled. I think the times Zyon got burned he was maybe testing himself to see what he can get away with and what he needs to do to remedy those mistakes. I will put him on my list of guys to follow.
I am looking forward to see how Zyon McCollum tests. He looks legit. He blankets receivers and QB's still throw at him. Dumb coaching I guess. He also tackles well. Could be a gem like Kyle Dugger. I didn't watch the Senior Bowl so not sure how he fared.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back