PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 CB/PTP Thread

Random thought I had last night...

I know everyone here seems to want one of the taller, longer corners, but we now play in a division with Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, Garrett Wilson, Mecole Hardmon, Stefon Diggs, and Khalil Shakir. Do we need to make sure that we have enough corners who can run and change direction with those guys?

I know everyone here seems to want one of the taller, longer corners, but we now play in a division with Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, Garrett Wilson, Mecole Hardmon, Stefon Diggs, and Khalil Shakir. Do we need to make sure that we have enough corners who can run and change direction with those guys?

Garrett Wilson is 6'0, Mecole Hardman is not a change of direction guy, and Stefon Diggs is 6'0. You need taller guys to go against them.. Also, the CBs most people are talking about (Gonzalez, Witherspoon) have the Change of Direction ability you look for..

Marcus Jones and Jack Jones are very good corners. So is Jon Jones. None of them are true #1s. That's why most everyone has been looking at a Gonzalez or Witherspoon early on.

The 40 time is only one element of what makes a good player, it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

If athleticism was the be all and end all, why did Obi Melifonwu, Terrence Brooks and DeAngelo Ross (amongst others) perform so poorly despite testing so well?
To me they tested poorly based on their shuttle times (although Obi at 6'4" that's an okay time - in his case it really was "football instincts aren't up to par"). Yeah straight line speed is nice to prevent people taking it to the house but...
Terrence Brooks: 4.56
DAngelo Ross: 4.40
Obi Melifonwu: 4.30

Potantial UDFA DBs:

Ethan Bonner - Stanford: 6'1, 4.39-40, 6.78 3-Cone, 4.18 SS, 35.5" Vertical, 10'7" Broad. (Played Corner and Safety)

Reese Taylor - Purdue - 5'9 4/8", 4.45-40, 6.63 3-Cone, 4.07 SS, 38.5" Vertical, 10'4" Broad

We're supposed to already have that here with Jonathan & Marcus Jones; what we don't have are Outside guys.

But if Witherspoon's still available at 14 I'm not gonna say No either.

Teams are doing their research on day 3 guys. The Bolts are interested in Keidron Smith, an intriguing tall corner from Kentucky with good instincts but poor straight-line speed. There’s talk that he could be moved to safety.

Hey Bacon-G,

How do you feel about Forbes? It looks like he can really fly and has really soft hands, but he is a skinny as, well, Thornton. In reading the story about Brian Belichick's talk at Rutgers, it seems like the Pats want their DBs to be hard hitters....on every play, so I am not so sure about Forbes, but he is exciting to watch.

Hey Bacon-G,

How do you feel about Forbes? It looks like he can really fly and has really soft hands, but he is a skinny as, well, Thornton. In reading the story about Brian Belichick's talk at Rutgers, it seems like the Pats want their DBs to be hard hitters....on every play, so I am not so sure about Forbes, but he is exciting to watch.

I'm no @BaconGrundleCandy, but I like Forbes a lot. Yes, he's skinny but he hits hard, he has to. And he's a good tackler. I would be concerned about the wear and tear on his frame, but that's for his next contract.

And you can't teach those ball skills, he's got WR ball skills. There are plenty of DB's that can get to the right spot, but can't make a play on the ball.

In 35 college games he had 16 PBU's and 14 INT's

I'm no @BaconGrundleCandy, but I like Forbes a lot. Yes, he's skinny but he hits hard, he has to. And he's a good tackler. I would be concerned about the wear and tear on his frame, but that's for his next contract.

And you can't teach those ball skills, he's got WR ball skills. There are plenty of DB's that can get to the right spot, but can't make a play on the ball.

I like him too; and if he's still available at 46 and a DB wasn't taken with our first pick, then depending on who else is still available I'm gonna take a very serious look at him there, though I think he'll be gone by then anyway.

You don't want to carry this cross man. It's heavy.
but I like Forbes a lot. Yes, he's skinny but he hits hard, he has to. And he's a good tackler. I would be concerned about the wear and tear on his frame, but that's for his next contract.

Hey Bacon-G,

I love Forbes. Plus play recognition and poise are two of his best attributes. He's very smart when it comes to pre-snap looks, route recognition and playing the catch point. Ball skills are excellent but it's everything before that, that allows him to make those plays. As good as he is in terms of recognition in the passing game he's almost as bad recognizing run blocking, working through bodies and tackling in space. He can blow up bang bang plays that are presented right in front of him but struggles to work in space and ID certain concepts. Plus he's light af so he needs to time up stuff almost perfectly at times.

I touched on him with us a while back and am really intrigued by the idea. We would have a secondary full of killers with the ball in their hands. I could see Bill being down with the idea of living of TO, points on defense etc Jack already needs to get stronger and Marcus isn't getting any bigger so I'm thinking more Porter, Brents, Trice etc but we'll see. I do love the idea of that type of secondary.

Met with him at his pro day and on a top 30 visit. With his size and SEC experience, he’s just what the doctor ordered. Except his 4.55 speed, which is going to cause him to be a latter round, fifth at the soonest, pick.

Met with him at his pro day and on a top 30 visit. With his size and SEC experience, he’s just what the doctor ordered. Except his 4.55 speed, which is going to cause him to be a latter round, fifth at the soonest, pick.

His shuttle time wasn't good either, but his 3-cone wasn't bad... Definitely a Day-3 dude.

Am I in the wrong thread? So much OL talk!

@BaconGrundleCandy Talk me off the ledge, man. I'm about ready to write to BB and ask him to trade up to get Gonzalez, haha. From the (admittedly) little watching I've done of the top dozen players, he's the most fluid and natural I've seen in a long time with easy acceleration and an alpha mentality. Reminds me of Gilmore, but potentially better, since I think he plays with more physicality/fire. I think he's going to be an absolute superstar. Pro Bowler his rookie year, All Pro year two kind of talent. What am I missing?

BB is smarter than I am, because he traded down and still got this guy. Brilliant! Now let's see if my prediction of a Gilmore type player is right.

Watch him bust. No one will take my scouting seriously again lol. But I do seem to have a knack for knowing our DB type, so this is validating.

Am I in the wrong thread? So much OL talk!

@BaconGrundleCandy Talk me off the ledge, man. I'm about ready to write to BB and ask him to trade up to get Gonzalez, haha. From the (admittedly) little watching I've done of the top dozen players, he's the most fluid and natural I've seen in a long time with easy acceleration and an alpha mentality. Reminds me of Gilmore, but potentially better, since I think he plays with more physicality/fire. I think he's going to be an absolute superstar. Pro Bowler his rookie year, All Pro year two kind of talent. What am I missing?
Got him!!! I'm pumped and almost took him off my board bc I thought we had no shot at him.
Nope he's a really good one.

Very comfortable and nuanced at the los. Had a plan usually focusing on rerouting and using his size. Plus ball skills. He's smart and always locked in. Very physical I think he'll be a nice weapon on passing downs used on the blitz from the slot. He'll be a nice have for guys like Lazard who are big slot bullys. He's got good cod for his size. I've seen him have a little trouble but very fluid overall. I mean we need a big boundary to cap off this secondary and a few will absolutely be sitting at 14 or within reach. So it'll be on Bill to decide Porter, Gonzo etc early on or Brents and Banks a little after.

Fwiw I don't think Witherspoon goes top 15. I think he's going 20-40 range.

I could see a smooth transition to FS (Gonzo) if he needs to make on at some point later on.
Little off on prediction.

Guessing we had Gonzo rated CB1 or 2 but Banks, Porter, Brents graded similarly if we traded back but who knows.

Got him!!! I'm pumped and almost took him off my board bc I thought we had no shot at him.

Little off on prediction.

Guessing we had Gonzo rated CB1 or 2 but Banks, Porter, Brents graded similarly if we traded back but who knows.

When are we going to hear Porter Sr ranting about his son being disrespected?

I would've preferred both the trade-back AND Broderick Jones, but once he was taken off the board then Gonzo was definitely, for our needs, the best player available, regardless of position.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back