PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 CB/PTP Thread

@BaconGrundleCandy i've seen a lot of scouting reports, etc talk about Emmanuel Forbes "rail thin" frame, is that a legit concern or is that being overblown?

@BaconGrundleCandy i've seen a lot of scouting reports, etc talk about Emmanuel Forbes "rail thin" frame, is that a legit concern or is that being overblown?
Definitely not ideal - what you want to hear but I'm not that worried. You take the good with the not so good in this case but he's got a great trump card. Elite traits matter more than anything. No matter the position so that's a nice fallback.

Definitely not ideal - what you want to hear but I'm not that worried. You take the good with the not so good in this case but he's got a great trump card. Elite traits matter more than anything. No matter the position so that's a nice fallback.

Yeah I think his weight cost him first-round consideration, but he'll still be chosen before 76, if not 46.

Last edited:
I agree 100 percent! His tape is not great, but it is not too terrible

I like him too, late-3rd/early-4th... But if we're going to continue to use more zone coverage then he might not be a great fit here... Injury history's also concerning...

6', 190 lbs., 4.58 sec 40, very average in every way. Pass for R1 or R2.

I think that's a little harsh. Athletically he's nothing special, but he's a natural born football player with great instincts, football intelligence and is a really good tackler.

I don't want him at 14, but if Witherspoon and all the good tackles are gone by then I wouldn't be mad if we traded back to the mid -20's and picked him up. He's as guaranteed a non-bust as you could hope for as a DB, while not having the ceiling you'd want at 14.

I think Steve is on to something. I can see Bill trading back in the first and taking the smart, sure tackler at a position of need. He started how many years for buddy Sagan?

Worse, though, than his mediocre 40 (for a first-rounder) is his 30.75” arms.

Most mocks have him top 20, I have seen him as high has 10th. 3 days old:
Former Alabama defensive back Brian Branch is one of the top defensive prospects of the draft class, but there’s no obvious landing spot for him. His name has been bounced all around the first round in recent mock drafts and has been left out of a few.

However, Patrick Conn of College Sports Wire believes Branch will be off the board within the first 10 picks.

In Conn’s latest mock draft, Branch is selected at No. 10 overall by the Philadelphia Eagles, a pick the franchise acquired from the New Orleans Saints.
Brian Branch projected to be selected No. 10 overall in 2023 NFL draft

I have also seen him drop, due to a lackluster combine, which aligns with what you said.
Branch's combine performance was a major disappointment where he underperformed in the speed drills - his 40 of 4.58 was the headliner especially when he was billed as a mid 4.4 guy. He really harmed his stock.
Brian Branch Safety Alabama | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report

I think Steve is on to something. I can see Bill trading back in the first and taking the smart, sure tackler at a position of need. He started how many years for buddy Sagan?
I just see it as a natural fit. Bill will make a pick that is not a slam dunk home run, showing he's smarter than everyone *insert eye roll*. Branch looks like a football player on the field, even if he hurt his stock in the combine. I'll be all over this guy early in round two. Trade up to get him. Or trade back R1, but I would hope they'd fill a hole at 14. We know without a doubt that Belichick and Saban have discussed the kid at length. This kid certainly looks like he could fill DMac's shoes right off.

Either way, you can be assured the board blows up with hate on this kid.

while not having the ceiling you'd want at 14.

That is a really gentle way to say that he is athletically limited. Criteria for a R1 selection is being a good tackler?

Brian Branch 4.58 40
Myles Bryant 4.62 40
Jordan Richards 4.59 40

Not a high ceiling and on the edge of not enough athleticism.

That is a really gentle way to say that he is athletically limited. Criteria for a R1 selection is being a good tackler?

Brian Branch 4.58 40
Myles Bryant 4.62 40
Jordan Richards 4.59 40

The 40 time is only one element of what makes a good player, it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

If athleticism was the be all and end all, why did Obi Melifonwu, Terrence Brooks and DeAngelo Ross (amongst others) perform so poorly despite testing so well?

I just see it as a natural fit. Bill will make a pick that is not a slam dunk home run, showing he's smarter than everyone *insert eye roll*. Branch looks like a football player on the field, even if he hurt his stock in the combine. I'll be all over this guy early in round two. Trade up to get him. Or trade back R1, but I would hope they'd fill a hole at 14. We know without a doubt that Belichick and Saban have discussed the kid at length. This kid certainly looks like he could fill DMac's shoes right off.

Either way, you can be assured the board blows up with hate on this kid.
I agree. I’m just worried about that mushroom cloud developing over Hershey, Penn., Capt Stone’s residence.

The 40 time is only one element of what makes a good player, it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

If athleticism was the be all and end all, why did Obi Melifonwu, Terrence Brooks and DeAngelo Ross (amongst others) perform so poorly despite testing so well?

Yes, but Branch was average across the board at the Combine. I agree both football intelligence and athleticism are required. My point is that Branch has high football intelligence, but borderline NFL level athleticism. Why we would draft a guy with borderline athleticism (even if he is really football smart) in R1 or R2 is beyond me? We drafted a really smart football guy in R2, Jordan Richards from Stanford, and it did not end well.

Brian Branch 4.58 40
Myles Bryant 4.62 40
Jordan Richards 4.59 40

The Speedy Gonzales of the bunch: Tavon the Error Repeater Wilson's 4.52. No wonder Bill chose him 48th overall...

To paraphrase JD Clampett, I'm gonna have to give it a pass.

Brian Branch 4.58 40
Myles Bryant 4.62 40
Jordan Richards 4.59 40

That Jordan Richards pick still makes me mad. What the hell was BB thinking.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back