PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 CB/PTP Thread

the Patriots trade down from 14 (almost a given) and have a white-knuckle wait as there is a run on CBs.
Or a run on next tier OTs like Wright or Harrison.

I think the priority has to be LT. In the recent mock draft by Steve Balestieri we trade down to 25 and take Anton Harrison. That would be sweet. But a risk.
Sure someone might trade up for Porter, Mayer or a team's choice at WR, but how much is such a trade worth?
============
In such a situation, we will be looking at a player who drops or Wright. I can't see trading down when Wright and Harrison will be soon gone.
Mgteich argues there won’t be much capital forked over in teams requesting a move up. But that’s not the tradition.

But I really like his idea that we have Darnell Wright, who can play either tackle position, as our first-rounder. I think he goes higher than most mocks have him, making the risk of losing out to Anton Harrison all the greater.

This draft will still leave us with great CB prospects at 46.

We have to wait for Witherspoon tomorrow and if he runs sub-4.4, it will be a decision over my head. Witherspoon's tape is great.

Having said that, trading down and taking Banks seems to be a winning move to me. The Pats might be considering moving down to take Flowers and then moving up to take Forbes. Tough to pass on two guys for the price of one, unless the one is a Sauce Gardner.

Yes, the CB class is deep enough where a trade down is sensible...although I can just see it now....the Patriots trade down from 14 (almost a given) and have a white-knuckle wait as there is a run on CBs. It is pretty certain that there will be an early run on CBs; as I have said before CBs are the second most valuable commodity in the draft and I expect that the run will start early; hopefully the Patriots do not get too cute with the tradewons and get their guy.

Yeah Witherspoon might be straddling the #14 line right now... But if he runs < 4.4, fuhgeddaboutit: top 12.

I suspect that the run on CBs will come well before the Patriots pick. Like I said, CBs are a very hot commodity. Primadonna, flashy WRs are a dime a dozen, cover CBs are not. There should be a few premier WRs available when the Patriots pick, but as Patriots Nation screams and gnashes their teeth, the Patriot will trade down.

I suspect that the run on CBs will come well before the Patriots pick. Like I said, CBs are a very hot commodity. Primadonna, flashy WRs are a dime a dozen, cover CBs are not. There should be a few premier WRs available when the Patriots pick, but as Patriots Nation screams and gnashes their teeth, the Patriot will trade down.

I'd be a little surprised if more than Witherspoon, Gonzo & Porter are taken before #14... Ringo, Cam Smith & Deonte Banks might still be available into the 20s... Forbes even later than that...

I would be excited if there is a run on corners before the Pats pick. I'd much rather have them draft a tackle than a corner. I actually think Pats fans would be happy with a trade down. Almost all the major media and draft analysts have it as a down year for WR, so trading down to grab one would be in line with consensus. Usually the consensus gets teams praised by the media and fans feel good about their teams' moves when the media praises them.

Damn. Dude’s technique was shoddy, didn’t even look like he was trying his best. But he’s just a fine footballer.

Porter ran a 4.46. Not sure if Witherspoon's time is computer or handheld. 4.44 for Witherspoon, as an averageof the two readings, versus Porter at 4.46 is not much difference. Both had great tape. At this point I have no idea which one to pick, except Gonzalez looks to be the #1 CB off the board. Banks ran in the 4.3s so he is faster, but that is not everything.

Damn. Dude’s technique was shoddy, didn’t even look like he was trying his best. But he’s just a fine footballer.

That's good for us as Pats fans. His play speed looks mid 4.3's. If he ran 4.3's he would probably challenge Gonzales as a guy in the top-10. I'm frankly kind of happy he didn't run a 3-cone (that I can find) because I think he would have approached record level 3-cone had he tested. Every year there is someone outside of the top ten but in the top-15 I am completely blown away by that usually develops into the best player in that draft. Two years ago it was Parsons, last year Davis, this year it's Witherspoon. I took a few years off of following due to an obsession I developed with another sport but previous to that I was saying JJ Watt should be top-five last time I played close attention. This year is Witherspoon, IMO. I think he is as good as Sauce but I like his game more. I think he is a lot more violent. Probably the most violent corner prospect I have ever seen. He plays like a throwback strong safety. Pats might have a shot at him.

Last edited:

A 6’ CB with elite athleticism…and football legs.

Unlike the Boney kid last year from Baylor.

My goodness this Deonte Banks may be edging into top 20 territory. Top 15?

Last edited:
Texas A&M’s Jaylon Jones—a long, athletic corner likely available in a later round. Perfect to add depth.

A 6’2” CB with elite athleticism…and football legs.

Yeah put on the tape. He’s a good corner but not a good football player if that makes sense. He’s a attribute guy.

and re: Witherspoon. BGC is the best poster on our beloved forum, he is almost always right about everything, but I was a division one defensive back. White guy, undersized. I played because I know defense better than anyone and arrive with intent to give us both concussions. I know defensive backs. Witherspoon is the best defensive back prospect I have ever seen in my life. I would trade to 4 to get him. He's the best db I have ever seen.

Last edited:

A 6’2” CB with elite athleticism…and football legs.

Yes. Cap was talking about him. Anyone look at his tape? Is his instinctive? Does he flip his hips well to turn and accelerate?

Update: thanks @jays52 for already critiquing. Congrats on your D1 career.

Texas A&M’s Jaylon Jones—a long, athletic corner likely available in a later round. Perfect to add depth.

Mid-late 3rd to early 4th, if I had to guess...

and re: Witherspoon. BGC is the best poster on our beloved forum, he is almost always right about everything, but I was a division one defensive back. White guy, undersized. I played because I know defense better than anyone and arrive with intent to give us both concussions. I know defensive backs. Witherspoon is the best defensive back prospect I have ever seen in my life. I would trade to 4 to get him. He's the best db I have ever seen.

youtube pulp fiction thats a bold statement

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back