PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 CB/PTP Thread

Wow, this guy isn't ranked really high and I was hoping to get him with one of our 6th rounders. But his play and combine testing probably pushed him higher up the draft board. Of course NFL teams have all the film they need on this guy and the interviews he attended but he no longer looks like a late round pick.
I know I said he could be a "gem like Dugger" but I didn't mean a 2nd rounder, just someone from a smaller school (Dugger was really small school) who excelled. I think the times Zyon got burned he was maybe testing himself to see what he can get away with and what he needs to do to remedy those mistakes. I will put him on my list of guys to follow.

Yeah McCollum is now likely to be taken earlier on Day 3 rather than later on it, though I still feel the we need to take a CB earlier than this anyway.

Yeah McCollum is now likely to be taken earlier on Day 3 rather than later on it, though I still feel the we need to take a CB earlier than this anyway.
I was more looking for prospects to take on day 3 (no 5th rounder sucks) and this kid caught my eye so I wanted to see how he would test since FCS schools don't get much air time. He looked really good in highlights (most do) so I wanted to follow him. We would need to get a CB within top 30 picks or else it's a total crap shoot. Guys like Zyon and Woolen moved up but guys like Gordon and McCreary dropped so they'll probably go between late 2nd/early 3rd and 4th/early 5th. We can nab one then if we don't draft one of the top guys with first pick.

People are putting WAY WAY too much stock in what the players did at the combine and not enough in what these guys did on the field.
100%

I mean, measurables are a nice indicator of athletic ability and all but tape is king. This isn't a track meet

Gardner is a total eraser. Great length, still has room for another 5-7 lbs on his frame as well and he's already a big time effort player in the running game. He's moving up boards because he just shuts everyone down. He's the best prospect from the Group of Five in this class in my opinion.

Yeah I just watched some highlights and this guy can really play. The only downside is that he looks very frail, but he can tackle.

Note: Most of his INTs were on broken plays, but he is a special player.

Can you edit that for us who are positionally ignorant? ;) Some of those numbers are just absolutely SICK..

Scott Nelson - 6.62 3-Cone!!!!!
Leo Chenal - 6.84 3 Cone!!!!
Bruss IOL
Burks LB
John Chenal FB
Leo Chenal LB
Cone Saf
Davis WR
Ferguson TE
Henningsen DE
Hicks CB
Nelson Saf
Pryor WR
Sanborn LB
Seltzner G
Wilder Saf
Williams CB

Bruss IOL
Burks LB
John Chenal FB
Leo Chenal LB
Cone Saf
Davis WR
Ferguson TE
Henningsen DE
Hicks CB
Nelson Saf
Pryor WR
Sanborn LB
Seltzner G
Wilder Saf
Williams CB

Thank you, kind sir..

EDIT: Is Scott Nelson someone who has played Corner as well as safety?

Last edited:
100%

I mean, measurables are a nice indicator of athletic ability and all but tape is king. This isn't a track meet
I am going to stand by my prediction for McCollum; second round, early 2d. :cool: I hope I am wrong and that the Patriots can pick him up in a later round, but CBs are in desperately short supply. Just watching his highlights it is clear that this guy can really play; he covers guy like a rug. The Combine numbers were icing on the cake and showed that no one is going to run away from him. My big question is what kind of competition was he facing? What the heck is Sam Houston State; I just don't know--is this an East Podunk college from an third-tier conference? How would he do against a premier WR such as Jameson WIlliams or Waddle?

Based on the reactions here, I have to assume that McCollum had a low rating on some of the commercial draft boards, but I am just judging him on what I saw.

However McCollum is not doing himself any favors with that mushroom haircut...

I am going to stand by my prediction for McCollum; second round, early 2d. :cool: I hope I am wrong and that the Patriots can pick him up in a later round, but CBs are in desperately short supply. Just watching his highlights it is clear that this guy can really play; he covers guy like a rug. The Combine numbers were icing on the cake and showed that no one is going to run away from him. My big question is what kind of competition was he facing? What the heck is Sam Houston State; I just don't know--is this an East Podunk college from an third-tier conference? How would he do against a premier WR such as Jameson WIlliams or Waddle?

Based on the reactions here, I have to assume that McCollum had a low rating on some of the commercial draft boards, but I am just judging him on what I saw.

However McCollum is not doing himself any favors with that mushroom haircut...

You are actively advocating New England overdraft another projection defensive back in the second round?

Do you know what Einstein said the definition of insanity is……

You are actively advocating New England overdraft another projection defensive back in the second round?

Do you know what Einstein said the definition of insanity is……
Ha, yes! I was thinking just the same thing; is this another second-round DB trap for BB? But I suspect someone before the Patriots will take him in round 2. Remember that teams are desperate for CB help.

But I could be totally wrong here; I am hardly a professional scout. I am just a dweeb that watches highlight reels pretty carefully, but, apparently I can do a better job than the Patriots staff in evaluating WRs (this does not mean I am an expert, it just means that the Patriots really suck at WRs).

Anyway I love the way Zyon McCollum plays; he may not be another Ahmad Garner, but who is?

Yeah I just watched some highlights and this guy can really play. The only downside is that he looks very frail, but he can tackle.

Note: Most of his INTs were on broken plays, but he is a special player.
His lower half / legs are almost twigs. He definitely has to get proportioned.

His tackling could absolutely improve though. He'll look for big sticks too often. Or aim too high. Or he won't wrap up properly. His technique could really improve there.

I'm lower on him than consensus, I wouldn't draft him top 10 but he's still a very good prospect.

His tackling could absolutely improve though. He'll look for big sticks too often. Or aim too high. Or he won't wrap up properly. His technique could really improve there.

I'm lower on him than consensus, I wouldn't draft him top 10 but he's still a very good prospect.
I betcha a nickle that Gardner is gone by pick number 9 in the first round....

I betcha a nickle that Gardner is gone by pick number 9 in the first round....
I know he'll be gone. Guys are over-drafted every year but he's not worth a top ten pick is what I'm saying. He's not even the best CB in the class.

I'm just as interested in a prospects actual value in the long run as the short term. Just in the same way QB's will be over-drafted. Right now everything in "consensus" lots of groupthink. It never works out that way though. Fine prospect but top ten picks should be used on JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, J Ramsey types. He's not in that tier.

Against alabama, cincy never left Gardner one on one with Williams, there was always someone over the top.

Gardner is a great corner, no doubt. Top 10 seems about right for him.

Who are your referring to, BCG? Stingley or Gardner?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back