PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2021 OT/PTP Thread

Haven't dived into him yet but I'm familiar. Just off what I know and seen would say a better run blocker, you can see some athleticism. He'll test well I'd bet. A bit up & down overall but good mover in terms of bending and getting off the line. Looks to have good length. Played both G spots but one a lot more LG. Might have some versatility along the line but sometimes moving around can be detrimental. He has some potential though.
Thanks for the reply

He's going the SR Bowl. Good for him. That's always a good exposure for these kids.
Yep be very good for him. I personally think if he gets a combine invite he would do very well in that testing setting. Needs to add some strength, but his footwork and small area quickness should be pretty good.

I do have a personal angle on Newman. Coaching him at small school Nashville Illinois, and watching him taking this step is pretty awesome.

I have three guys with first round grades at offensive tackle:

Sewell of Oregon - tremendous athlete. Needs to gets stronger and then you’d have a ten year all pro starter.

slater of northwestern- he opted out this year, but his 2019 tape is so good! I wish he were a bit taller, but he more than holds his own.

darrisaw of Virginia tech - moves really well. Needs a bit of technique work, but should excel from day 1 in camp next year.

ps: there are some really good day two days that I want us to draft one in the third round.

faalala of Minnesota - he opted out, but is such a monster of a human. Total devastation in the running game, yet enough mobility to stay at right tackle.

Spencer brown of northern Iowa- another enormous human and total road grader. Needs technique help with pass protection, but our coaches are really good at that.

I have three guys with first round grades at offensive tackle:

Sewell of Oregon - tremendous athlete. Needs to gets stronger and then you’d have a ten year all pro starter.

slater of northwestern- he opted out this year, but his 2019 tape is so good! I wish he were a bit taller, but he more than holds his own.

darrisaw of Virginia tech - moves really well. Needs a bit of technique work, but should excel from day 1 in camp next year.

ps: there are some really good day two days that I want us to draft one in the third round.

faalala of Minnesota - he opted out, but is such a monster of a human. Total devastation in the running game, yet enough mobility to stay at right tackle.

Spencer brown of northern Iowa- another enormous human and total road grader. Needs technique help with pass protection, but our coaches are really good at that.
How do you like Dillon Radunz from NDSU? I like Mayfield too and Leatherwood

Good OT/OL class for sure

How do you like Dillon Radunz from NDSU? I like Mayfield too and Leatherwood

Good OT/OL class for sure

radunz - I have not seen enough of him against quality competition to give him a first round grade. He appears to have the necessary athleticism.

leathwrwood - I put him in the same category as Jackson Carmen. Barely adequate at tackle, but both could really excel in the nfl at guard.

I think this is a good offensive line draft. Lots of players with a chance to be contributors on day 3.

for us - if we take van laten of Wisconsin in the sixth round and move him to guard, we will have an outstanding player next year.

radunz - I have not seen enough of him against quality competition to give him a first round grade. He appears to have the necessary athleticism.

leathwrwood - I put him in the same category as Jackson Carmen. Barely adequate at tackle, but both could really excel in the nfl at guard.

I think this is a good offensive line draft. Lots of players with a chance to be contributors on day 3.

for us - if we take van laten of Wisconsin in the sixth round and move him to guard, we will have an outstanding player next year.
Typically love Wisconsin OL

Some interior OL I like are C Landon ****erson, OG Tommy Kramer, and OG Mays too...C Humphrey, OG Smith as well

Typically love Wisconsin OL

Some interior OL I like are C Landon ****erson, OG Tommy Kramer, and OG Mays too...C Humphrey, OG Smith as well

this is a good list! A couple of notes about injuries:

****erson - when he was at Florida state, he was injured a lot. Alabama seems to have cured him.

smith - had an extensive history of injuries as well. Not sure how he will stay healthy in the nfl,

another guard that I really like is brown of Alabama, he is an absolute road grader and would work very well in our offense.

It is looking like there could be five or six offensive tackles taken in the first round. With a run near the end of the first round.

both our tackles have contracts expiring after this year.

makes me think bb might grab one early in the draft as well.

Alijah Vera-Tucker would be extremely difficult to pass on at #15...He could be either our LT OR LG of the Future...Ass-uming Slater & Sewell are both gone by then, AVT is the only other OLman I want in the first round...Maybe Tennessee's Trey Smith at #96 as a super-sized version of AVT's LG/LT versatility...

Alijah Vera-Tucker would be extremely difficult to pass on at #15...He could be either our LT OR LG of the Future...Ass-uming Slater & Sewell are both gone by then, AVT is the only other OLman I want in the first round...Maybe Tennessee's Trey Smith at #96 as a super-sized version of AVT's LG/LT versatility...
I like AVT too. He'd be a perfect fit as Thuney replacement i believe. I'd rather put him to G. But he can serve as LT as well just not the type regarding length overall and esp arm length i'd have at LT. But i think he can excel and start day 1 at G

I like Darrisaw but don't know at 15. Great length size, ++ run blocker, ability in motion/space but strong at LOS, needs some footwork hand placement work tough. Better in run blocking than pass pro probably

Last edited:

I do not have smith on my draft board as he has a very scary concussion history.

Curious to see how you grade Penei Sewell on your draft grades sheet at the end of the season. Going back, Tyron Smith was your highest rated tackle at 9.17. Sewell is so good that some are even calling him the best tackle prospect since Orlando Pace.
Grades are posted if you haven't seen them. Sewell just missed that # but Smith was a freak prospect in his own right. If not for injuries he'd be a HOF canadate.

I've fallen in love with Tevan Jenkins, came here to see how you felt about him and was surprised that you don't have him listed in any tier. What's up?
Just wasn't listed. I miss guys once and a while, not often but it happens. Plus these tiers are from May-summer, he wasn't on anyone's radar in terms of 1st round or top 50 back then.

I wrote about him and others in the draft thread. First or second page.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back