PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 TE/PTP Thread

Ma

Mayer is smaller, slower, and less explosive than Gronk in every tested stat. Maybe his all-around capacity is similar, but Mayer does not stand out in any metric either.
Agreed. Gronk-lite. I'm just saying he can do a lot of things pretty well.

Agreed. Gronk-lite. I'm just saying he can do a lot of things pretty well.

My only concern is that Mayer is Gronk-superlite. No where close to a top 20 pick.

No Dalton Kincaid workout at Utah's pro day, unfortunately. Don't know if he can maintain his first-round status without one...

Dude makes tough catches, and likes to block... I think he'd make a great 3rd TE here, especially when both Double-H's AND Gesicki's futility as blockers are considered.

I would add not much separation (4.9 40) but he loves to block and muscles his catches - a little of Ben Coates in him. I agree he is a great pickup on Day 3 - love the old school attitude.

I'd be fine with Durham or Schoomaker in the 4th round, as long as it meant a bus ticket and an apple for Sokol.

Will he last that long with his elite measurables? I can’t get over his 6.87 three cone time. Zach Kuntz

Isn't Kuntz the guy who could barely get on the field for Penn State? A team KNOWN for it's TE use?

Isn't Kuntz the guy who could barely get on the field for Penn State? A team KNOWN for it's TE use?

Kuntz is a workout warrior, the question is whether he is a football player or not. We tried Asiasi and Keene, very physically gifted, do not need another one.

Kuntz is a workout warrior, the question is whether he is a football player or not. We tried Asiasi and Keene, very physically gifted, do not need another one.

And until our OL issues are resolved, it would also be nice to have a TE who can in-line block a little... And Kunts ain't that guy.

Man, Darnell Washington is a hard one to project.

Really good blocker but has the acceleration of an old steam engine train. I am quite high on him though, I think his floor is Martellus Bennett and his ceiling is hitherto undiscovered territory, because there's never been an athlete like him at TE

Man, Darnell Washington is a hard one to project.

Really good blocker but has the acceleration of an old steam engine train. I am quite high on him though, I think his floor is Martellus Bennett and his ceiling is hitherto undiscovered territory, because there's never been an athlete like him at TE

Acceleration of an old steam engine?
I'll just leave this here.

1681572903402.png

While Gronk and Washington aren't Bullet Trains like Tyreek Hill, they' aren't Steam engines either. They're closer the the Class 43 Power Car than they are a steam engine.

He skipped the 3cone for a reason, and it is not because it would have helped his RAS score. Dude is a beast, but not quick and can't jump.

You're confusing quickness with acceleration.

Try looking at his 10 yard split and Shuttle numbers.

He came in to the combine about 20lbs lighter than his game weight. It's pretty obvious on tape that he's slow to get moving. Once he's in stride he has decent speed.

You're confusing quickness with acceleration.

Try looking at his 10 yard split and Shuttle numbers.

Maybe. If Washington had done the 3cone his RAS score would have been lower than Gronk's. Washington has a great short shuttle (I think you implying that) which is an indication of lateral quickness, which I do not care about for a TE. Look at Gronk's short shuttle, which is atrocious, but TEs run seams and outs, rarely does a TE stop and move laterally IMO. Washington skipped the 3cone which measures the combination of quickness and flexibility, sometimes called agility. Washington skipped it because he is either not quick or not flexible or both. His 10 yard split is above average, average for most skill positions, but above average for a TE (larger, strong, heavy guys). Gronk's 10 yard is great.

So Gronk has great acceleration, Washington has good acceleration. Washington can't jump, Gronk can. Washington has great lateral quickness, Gronk doesn't. And we assume Gronk is more flexible since he took the 3cone. Watching tape it looks to me that Washington is a bit slow off the line so I said lacks "quickness". Maybe I should have said "explosion" since he can't jump. All of these drills blend together so it is tough to isolate any attribute.

Having said all that, this is all splitting hairs. Washington is a beast and will, IMO, be a good, maybe great, NFL player.

Maybe. If Washington had done the 3cone his RAS score would have been lower than Gronk's. Washington has a great short shuttle (I think you implying that) which is an indication of lateral quickness, which I do not care about for a TE. Look at Gronk's short shuttle, which is atrocious, but TEs run seams and outs, rarely does a TE stop and move laterally IMO. Washington skipped the 3cone which measures the combination of quickness and flexibility, sometimes called agility. Washington skipped it because he is either not quick or not flexible or both. His 10 yard split is above average, average for most skill positions, but above average for a TE (larger, strong, heavy guys). Gronk's 10 yard is great.

So Gronk has great acceleration, Washington has good acceleration. Washington can't jump, Gronk can. Washington has great lateral quickness, Gronk doesn't. And we assume Gronk is more flexible since he took the 3cone. Watching tape it looks to me that Washington is a bit slow off the line so I said lacks "quickness". Maybe I should have said "explosion" since he can't jump. All of these drills blend together so it is tough to isolate any attribute.

Having said all that, this is all splitting hairs. Washington is a beast and will, IMO, be a good, maybe great, NFL player.

I don't care about the TOTAL RAS. I'm on record as saying that most people don't understand what TOTAL RAS actually means.

I posted the numbers to show how Washington compared to Gronk where it matters. In 10 yard split and Short Shuttle since those tests show acceleration. Which is what @Username was referring to.

He came in to the combine about 20lbs lighter than his game weight. It's pretty obvious on tape that he's slow to get moving. Once he's in stride he has decent speed.

How do you know this? Where was it reported that Washington came in 20 lbs LIGHTER than his supposed "game weight". Based on the rosters kept in college? Rosters that have been shown to be complete works of fiction when it comes to height and weight for players as often as not?

Show me where Washington played at 284lbs for Georgia since his combine weight was 264. ESPN and the 2022 Bulldogs Website had him at 270lbs which is 6 lbs difference, not 20. I'm not putting any weight in their accuracy, but they're closer to his combine weight than your ridiculous claim

I don't care about the TOTAL RAS. I'm on record as saying that most people don't understand what TOTAL RAS actually means.

I posted the numbers to show how Washington compared to Gronk where it matters. In 10 yard split and Short Shuttle since those tests show acceleration. Which is what @Username was referring to.

How do you know this? Where was it reported that Washington came in 20 lbs LIGHTER than his supposed "game weight". Based on the rosters kept in college? Rosters that have been shown to be complete works of fiction when it comes to height and weight for players as often as not?

Show me where Washington played at 284lbs for Georgia since his combine weight was 264. ESPN and the 2022 Bulldogs Website had him at 270lbs which is 6 lbs difference, not 20. I'm not putting any weight in their accuracy, but they're closer to his combine weight than your ridiculous claim

It was talked about on a recent PFF podcast, maybe the one with Dane Brugler? They said he plays at about 280-285lbs, but looked significantly leaner at the combine, and lo and behold weighed in at 264lbs

Edit: Actually, maybe it was Rick Spielman who said it...

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back